OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Jash Sefferson
Hi guys.

I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.

Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.

Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
can't.

Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
using and developing for it.

Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
hell are they doing so?

-jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

STeve Andre'
On 07/01/13 00:06, Jash Sefferson wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.
>
> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
> using and developing for it.
>
> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
> hell are they doing so?
>
> -jash

Um.... I'm writing this on an amd64 Thinkpad W500 which has a
2.8GHz core two duo.   So I don't understand what you mean.

--STeve Andre'

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Jash Sefferson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.

Your i7-980X is an Athlon 64 clone.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD and
INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u really
dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not answered
LOL)

> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:06:05 -0400
> Subject: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> Hi guys.
>
> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.
>
> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
> using and developing for it.
>
> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
> hell are they doing so?
>
> -jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Bruno Cartusia
On 06/30/2013 22:06, Jash Sefferson wrote:
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.
Well the next lesser of two evils if you can't get things working for
now. Why don't you download PC-BSD, lol one machine without windows will
make the world a better place. Hope that you are able to solve the
problem if not you can always get more specific help in the IRC channel
on freenode #openbsd. Take care!

P.S. *This was not intended to be flame bait just some friendly advice.*

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
I mean OBSD it does support 64 intel dude!

> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:12:15 -0700
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM, carlos albino garcia grijalba
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
and
> > INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too!
>
> No, IA-64 refers to the Itanium architecture, which is very different
> from AMD64/Intel 64.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Marwan Burelle
Le 2 juil. 2013 17:58, "carlos albino garcia grijalba" <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
and
> INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
really
> dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
answered
> LOL)

No ia64 is *not* the 64bits x86 arch. ia64 is the arch for itanium
processors a completely different architecture.

amd64 (and the Intel clone emt64) are an extension of the ia32 arch,
sometimes called x86-64, it was first introduced by amd, which explain why
most OS, like openbsd, brand their support as amd64.

--
Marwan Burelle
LSE - Système et Sécurité - EPITA

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Theo de Raadt
> Le 2 juil. 2013 17:58, "carlos albino garcia grijalba" <
> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> > IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
> and
> > INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
> really
> > dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
> answered
> > LOL)
> >
> No ia64 is *not* the 64bits x86 arch. ia64 is the arch for itanium
> processors a completely different architecture.
>
> amd64 (and the Intel clone emt64) are an extension of the ia32 arch,
> sometimes called x86-64, it was first introduced by amd, which explain why
> most OS, like openbsd, brand their support as amd64.

No, kidding.

Carlos, if you can't even type "ia64" into a search engine and
find yourself on pages about Itanium, then you can't be taken
seriously.

God bless the people who employ you, they need the blessing.