OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Jash Sefferson
Hi guys.

I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.

Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.

Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
can't.

Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
using and developing for it.

Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
hell are they doing so?

-jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Michel Blais-2
Intel 64 bit is amd64 compatible.

-jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

STeve Andre'
On 07/01/13 00:06, Jash Sefferson wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.
>
> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
> using and developing for it.
>
> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
> hell are they doing so?
>
> -jash

Um.... I'm writing this on an amd64 Thinkpad W500 which has a
2.8GHz core two duo.   So I don't understand what you mean.

--STeve Andre'

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Jash Sefferson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.

Your i7-980X is an Athlon 64 clone.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

noah pugsley-3
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM, STeve Andre' <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/01/13 00:06, Jash Sefferson wrote:
>
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
>> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>>
>> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
>> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
>> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>>
>> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
>> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
>> can't.
>>
>> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
>> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
>> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will
>> stop
>> using and developing for it.
>>
>> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
>> hell are they doing so?
>>
>> -jash
>>

>>  Um.... I'm writing this on an amd64 Thinkpad W500 which has a
> 2.8GHz core two duo.   So I don't understand what you mean.
>
> --STeve Andre'

At first I thought this was a wonderful troll. Guy's got a point though.
Look at the i386 page.

http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html:

Supported hardware:

The list of supported hardware is relevant to OpenBSD-current. It will
differ slightly from the support provided in the latest release version.
Processors

All CPU chips compatible with the Intel 80386 (i386) architecture, except
for the 80386 itself, are supported:

    80486 (DX/DX2/DX4)
    Intel Pentium/Pentium-MMX
    Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/Celeron/Xeon
    Intel Pentium 4/D
    Intel Pentium M
    Intel Core
    Intel Core 2 (Also see OpenBSD/amd64 for 64-bit support)
    Intel Atom (Also see OpenBSD/amd64 for 64-bit support)
    AMD 5x86
    AMD K5/K6/K6-2/K6-3
    AMD Athlon/Duron/Sempron
    AMD Athlon 64/Opteron/Turion/Phenom (Also see OpenBSD/amd64 for 64-bit
support)
    Cyrix MediaGX/M1/M2
    Cyrix 6x86
    VIA C3/C7
    Rise mP6
    IDT WinChip and C3
    NexGen 586
    NS Geode GX1 and M1
    AMD Geode GX/LX/NX
    Transmeta TM3200, TM5400, TM5600, TM5800

Regular floating-point coprocessors (80487SX) are required when not built
into the processor.

Everything that is a clone of the 486 or up should work fine.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD and
INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u really
dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not answered
LOL)

> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:06:05 -0400
> Subject: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> Hi guys.
>
> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>
> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>
> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> can't.
>
> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
> using and developing for it.
>
> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
> hell are they doing so?
>
> -jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Nick Holland
On 07/01/2013 09:27 AM, noah pugsley wrote:

> At first I thought this was a wonderful troll. Guy's got a point though.
> Look at the i386 page.
>

> http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html:
>
> Supported hardware:
>
> The list of supported hardware is relevant to OpenBSD-current. It will
> differ slightly from the support provided in the latest release version.
> Processors
>
> All CPU chips compatible with the Intel 80386 (i386) architecture, except
> for the 80386 itself, are supported:
>
>      80486 (DX/DX2/DX4)
...[snip painful, incomplete list]...
>      Transmeta TM3200, TM5400, TM5600, TM5800
>
> Regular floating-point coprocessors (80487SX) are required when not built
> into the processor.

really, I think that's more wrong.  Trying to itemize the list when
various manufacturers are constantly cranking out new and reusing old
names is misleading in the other direction.  I think it could be reduced
to just:

> Everything that is a clone of the 486 or up should work fine.

maybe adding a blurb about how a standard hardware FPU is required, as
someone out there might still have some 486SX systems laying around.

This is easier than amd64...  just about everything works, and if it
doesn't, it is not likely a processor issue.  amd64...well, some of the
Intel chips, you just need (or it is easier) to test to find out if you
got the right bit of magic.

Nick.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Mark Felder-4
This just seems like a bad troll. What high-end CAD product (or any
commercial CAD product) runs natively on OpenBSD?

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Barbier, Jason
Hate to burst your bubble here but 64bit x86 is also known as AMD64
since AMD was the first to bring x86-64 to market since Intel at the
time had the attitude of "why would any one want 64bit" </history>

--
Jason Barbier
C:(206)650-6542|E:[hidden email]

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM, carlos albino garcia grijalba
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD and
> INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too!

No, IA-64 refers to the Itanium architecture, which is very different
from AMD64/Intel 64.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Joe Holden
carlos albino garcia grijalba wrote:
> IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD and
> INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u really
> dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not answered
> LOL)
No.  If you're going to respond, at least get it right... IA64 *isn't* x86.

>> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:06:05 -0400
>> Subject: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>>
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to do
>> high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel chips.
>>
>> Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
>> versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
>> But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
>>
>> Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
>> use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
>> can't.
>>
>> Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
>> for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
>> 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will stop
>> using and developing for it.
>>
>> Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
>> hell are they doing so?
>>
>> -jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

noah pugsley-3
More wrong? Maybe so. My point was that both are and either way it's
inconsistent.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Nick Holland <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 07/01/2013 09:27 AM, noah pugsley wrote:
>
>  At first I thought this was a wonderful troll. Guy's got a point though.
>> Look at the i386 page.
>>

>> http://www.openbsd.org/i386.**html <http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html>:
>>
>> Supported hardware:
>>
>> The list of supported hardware is relevant to OpenBSD-current. It will
>> differ slightly from the support provided in the latest release version.
>> Processors
>>
>> All CPU chips compatible with the Intel 80386 (i386) architecture, except
>> for the 80386 itself, are supported:
>>
>>      80486 (DX/DX2/DX4)
>>
> ...[snip painful, incomplete list]...
>
>       Transmeta TM3200, TM5400, TM5600, TM5800
>>
>> Regular floating-point coprocessors (80487SX) are required when not built
>> into the processor.
>>

> really, I think that's more wrong.  Trying to itemize the list when
> various manufacturers are constantly cranking out new and reusing old names
> is misleading in the other direction.  I think it could be reduced to just:
>

>  Everything that is a clone of the 486 or up should work fine.
>>

> maybe adding a blurb about how a standard hardware FPU is required, as
> someone out there might still have some 486SX systems laying around.
>
> This is easier than amd64...  just about everything works, and if it
> doesn't, it is not likely a processor issue.  amd64...well, some of the
> Intel chips, you just need (or it is easier) to test to find out if you got
> the right bit of magic.
>
> Nick.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
I mean OBSD it does support 64 intel dude!

On 07/02/2013 11:44 AM, noah pugsley wrote:
> More wrong? Maybe so. My point was that both are and either way it's
> inconsistent.

not anymore.  new text, as of last night:

> Processors
>
> All CPUs compatible with the Intel 80486 or better, with Intel-compatible
 > hardware floating point support should work.

Nick.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Marwan Burelle
Le 2 juil. 2013 17:58, "carlos albino garcia grijalba" <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
and
> INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
really
> dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
answered
> LOL)

No ia64 is *not* the 64bits x86 arch. ia64 is the arch for itanium
processors a completely different architecture.

amd64 (and the Intel clone emt64) are an extension of the ia32 arch,
sometimes called x86-64, it was first introduced by amd, which explain why
most OS, like openbsd, brand their support as amd64.

--
Marwan Burelle
LSE - Système et Sécurité - EPITA

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Theo de Raadt
> Le 2 juil. 2013 17:58, "carlos albino garcia grijalba" <
> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> > IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
> and
> > INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
> really
> > dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
> answered
> > LOL)
> >
> No ia64 is *not* the 64bits x86 arch. ia64 is the arch for itanium
> processors a completely different architecture.
>
> amd64 (and the Intel clone emt64) are an extension of the ia32 arch,
> sometimes called x86-64, it was first introduced by amd, which explain why
> most OS, like openbsd, brand their support as amd64.

No, kidding.

Carlos, if you can't even type "ia64" into a search engine and
find yourself on pages about Itanium, then you can't be taken
seriously.

God bless the people who employ you, they need the blessing.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
ok i got the message and yes i need the blessing and yes im a dummy with work,
maybe i dont have the correct english or tech writing for trying to defend
this project that i really like i mainly try to just implement OpenBSD and
trying really hard to know more about processor arch's and all of that but
what i feel it is really bad sorry guys REALLY bad it is that when i just post
a normal or simple or advanced question or any question nobody i men NOBODY ok
maybe some folks some times answer but usually no answer and now i have a lot
of answers but just to tell me that i need blessing LOL

YES! for the first time i GOT an answer  BY THEO!! to kick my ass but great
thanks and congrats for the OBSD! nice day all of u that enlighten this silly
mind

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email];
[hidden email]
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:04:25 -0600
>
> > Le 2 juil. 2013 17:58, "carlos albino garcia grijalba" <
> > [hidden email]> a écrit :
> >

> > > IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by
AMD

> > and
> > > INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
> > really
> > > dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
> > answered
> > > LOL)
> > >
> > No ia64 is *not* the 64bits x86 arch. ia64 is the arch for itanium
> > processors a completely different architecture.
> >
> > amd64 (and the Intel clone emt64) are an extension of the ia32 arch,
> > sometimes called x86-64, it was first introduced by amd, which explain
why
> > most OS, like openbsd, brand their support as amd64.
>
> No, kidding.
>
> Carlos, if you can't even type "ia64" into a search engine and
> find yourself on pages about Itanium, then you can't be taken
> seriously.
>
> God bless the people who employ you, they need the blessing.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
 jash as u have seen i have really being kicked even theo kick my ass so i was
totally wrong im the guy who needs to read i was totally confused since im a
dummy i tought that amd64 mean all 64 bits arch either by AMD or INTEL but NO
it seems that i was the guy who need to read and dig on it sorry dude i sure
not and never answer nothing until i really REALLY know all of it! have a nice
day.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:48:10 +0000
>
> IA64 its the name of the arch for the processor created originali by AMD
and
> INTEL copied so support for AMD64 mean INTEL64 too! dont complain if u
really
> dont read all of the info (i understand now why my questions are not
answered

> LOL)
>
> > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:06:05 -0400
> > Subject: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> >
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I’m a civil engineer by day and use OpenBSD at night, but I’m trying to
do
> > high-end CAD on my home PC and OpenBSD doesn’t support 64-bit Intel
chips.

> > Don't believe me? It says very clearly at the OpenBSD/amd64 page: “All
> > versions of the AMD Athlon 64 processors and their clones are supported.”
> > But does not mention or list any Intel chips. Not one.
> >
> > Wtf? I can do CAD on my i7-980X under Windows 7 SP 1, but I’d rather
> > use something secure and responsibly coded like OpenBSD. Except that I
> > can't.
> >
> > Why for the life of this platform are we not on the only future direction
> > for the platform? And I mean that literally. Neither AMD nor Intel sells
> > 32-bit chips anymore. If OpenBSD remains stuck at 32 bits, people will
stop
> > using and developing for it.
> >
> > Who makes the decision to keep OpenBSD off of 64-bit Intel? And why the
> > hell are they doing so?
> >
> > -jash

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM, carlos albino garcia grijalba
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  jash as u have seen i have really being kicked even theo kick my ass so i was
> totally wrong im the guy who needs to read i was totally confused since im a
> dummy i tought that amd64 mean all 64 bits arch either by AMD or INTEL but NO
> it seems that i was the guy who need to read and dig on it sorry dude i sure
> not and never answer nothing until i really REALLY know all of it! have a nice
> day.

Relax.  You gave an incorrect answer, and you were corrected.  Learn
from it and move on.

Re: OpenBSD Doesn't Support 64-Bit Intel

polken
hello florenz!

u are wright! i was a wrong and try to defend myself by answering back but i
check again to what jash was saying and then bang he was Wright, Damm  even
worse, but ok i learn the lesson, usually y try to internet and then on
archives but this time i got confused on supports from 32 bits and 64 and
answered too quick trying to defend OpenBSD what derived on a very strong
correction by some folks even theo participate but ok i learned and thanks
sometimes it is better to learn the hard way

--by the way first time that many help me jeje and first time theo send me a
mail :) --

http://listserv.sap.com/pipermail/linux.general/2005-December/004843.html
> then you might realize that IA64 vs. AMD64 was a topic I found quite
interesting some years ago.

> So that's the way the misc works. It's easier to critique on style rather
than on substance, and
> critique makes most feel superior - probably including me. Don't be one of
the people doing it,
> ignore the noise, and listen to the helpful people. There are quite some on
misc, and about once or
>  twice a week you will see a very helpful tip.
>
> here is some free advice:
> 1) now that you feel properly welcomed by having your error corrected in
public, try to pay it back by
> doing your homework. Never before was technical and non-technical
information available as free and
> fast as today. Use it. There is no excuse for not searching the
documentation, and the internet.

> 2) Stay away from opinion, and stick to the facts. Opinion goes best with a
beer, and time to waste.

> 3) Show some respect by investing time and effort in your language and
writing style. At the moment,
> you are giving the impression of a 15-year-old. The concept of respect is
well-known in the spanish
> hemisphere, my friends from Spain and Protugal tell me. Show some to others
be making yourself appear
> more mature. Incidentally, it makes it easier to read for yourself, too.
Same as wearing a tie to the

> have a nice day :-)
> Florenz

12