OpenBSD 6.7-current VM on vmd collectd timesync problem

OpenBSD 6.7-current VM on vmd collectd timesync problem

Martin Got
Log messages from collectd installed on OpenBSD 6.7-current VM:

2020-07-30T12:42:08+00:00 192.168.20.15 collectd[75320]: Not sleeping because the next interval is 0.689 second in the past!
2020-07-30T12:42:25+00:00 192.168.20.15 collectd[75320]: Not sleeping because the next interval is 0.069 second in the past!

Setting 'Interval 5' or 10 in /etc/collectd.conf has no effect.

collectd sends UDP packets to syslog-ng on the host system anyway. And UDP packets arrive safely.

VM using NTP protocol to fine tune clock from the OpenBSD 6.7-current host, but collectd complain about clock skew in the past.

Any ideas?

Martin

Re: OpenBSD 6.7-current VM on vmd collectd timesync problem

Chris Cappuccio
Martin [[hidden email]] wrote:

> VM using NTP protocol to fine tune clock from the OpenBSD 6.7-current host, but collectd complain about clock skew in the past.
>
> Any ideas?

Does this happen with 6.6 or 6.7 as well? 6.7-current uses the TSC directly
to gather timestamps, but it should only do this if the TSC are "synchronized".

Re: OpenBSD 6.7-current VM on vmd collectd timesync problem

Martin Got
I can test it on 6.7-current only, and I haven't tested collectd on 6.6 - 6.7 -stable. TSC looks synchronized, ntpd corrects small amount of time skew ~1s or less.

VM time looks stable, but not enougth for time-series measurements.

Do you know any command to check TSC is "synchronized"?

Martin

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:40 PM, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Martin [[hidden email]] wrote:
>
> > VM using NTP protocol to fine tune clock from the OpenBSD 6.7-current host, but collectd complain about clock skew in the past.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Does this happen with 6.6 or 6.7 as well? 6.7-current uses the TSC directly
> to gather timestamps, but it should only do this if the TSC are "synchronized".

Re: OpenBSD 6.7-current VM on vmd collectd timesync problem

Brian Brombacher
Are you using: kern.timercounter.hardware=tsc ?

I’m on 6.7 release and no issue with collectd.

> On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can test it on 6.7-current only, and I haven't tested collectd on 6.6 - 6.7 -stable. TSC looks synchronized, ntpd corrects small amount of time skew ~1s or less.
>
> VM time looks stable, but not enougth for time-series measurements.
>
> Do you know any command to check TSC is "synchronized"?
>
> Martin

I tried kern.timecounter.hardware=tsc, no effect.

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:46 PM, Brian Brombacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you using: kern.timercounter.hardware=tsc ?
>
> I’m on 6.7 release and no issue with collectd.
>
> > On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Martin [hidden email] wrote:
> > I can test it on 6.7-current only, and I haven't tested collectd on 6.6 - 6.7 -stable. TSC looks synchronized, ntpd corrects small amount of time skew ~1s or less.
> > VM time looks stable, but not enougth for time-series measurements.
> > Do you know any command to check TSC is "synchronized"?
> > Martin

Does anyone hit this on 6.7-current?

Martin