OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Arrigo Triulzi-2
OpenBSD 6.4/amd64

System is installed without games64.tgz and x*.tgz.

When you run syspatch it dies as follows:

# syspatch
ln: /usr/X11R6/bin/X: No such file or directory

because of syspatch64-001_xserver.

Work-around is:

mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/bin
touch /usr/X11R6/bin/X

and then it works:

Get/Verify syspatch64-001_xserver... 100% |*************| 1227 KB 00:01
Installing patch 001_xserver

It would be better for syspatch to check that the relevant sets are installed before attempting to apply the patch. Obviously this raises the question whether the patch should carry a dependency on a given set so that syspatch can figure it out.

Cheers,

Arrigo

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 02:10:41PM +0100, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:

> OpenBSD 6.4/amd64
>
> System is installed without games64.tgz and x*.tgz.
>
> When you run syspatch it dies as follows:
>
> # syspatch
> ln: /usr/X11R6/bin/X: No such file or directory
>
> because of syspatch64-001_xserver.
>
> Work-around is:
>
> mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/bin
> touch /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> and then it works:
>
> Get/Verify syspatch64-001_xserver... 100% |*************| 1227 KB 00:01
> Installing patch 001_xserver
>

> It would be better for syspatch to check that the relevant sets are installed before attempting to apply the patch. Obviously this raises the question whether the patch should carry a dependency on a given set so that syspatch can figure it out.

It already does check the sets.
It's not because of syspatch64-001_xserver.
It's due to a change introduced in 002-syspatch to fix up the X link but the
check whether it exists or not was forgotten.
No real consequence afaik.

Antoine

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Arrigo Triulzi-2
Hi,

On 7 Dec 2018, at 16:46, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It already does check the sets.
> It's not because of syspatch64-001_xserver.
> It's due to a change introduced in 002-syspatch to fix up the X link but the
> check whether it exists or not was forgotten.
> No real consequence afaik.

Well, openup stops dead complaining that syspatch fails is one consequence and following patches are not installed.

Without touching a fake X in a fake /usr/X11R6/bin I cannot patch the system further.

Arrigo

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 09:43:57PM +0100, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7 Dec 2018, at 16:46, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It already does check the sets.
> > It's not because of syspatch64-001_xserver.
> > It's due to a change introduced in 002-syspatch to fix up the X link but the
> > check whether it exists or not was forgotten.
> > No real consequence afaik.
>
> Well, openup stops dead complaining that syspatch fails is one consequence and following patches are not installed.
>
> Without touching a fake X in a fake /usr/X11R6/bin I cannot patch the system further.

You're talking about something different.
I was talking about syspatch.

Antoine

On 7 Dec 2018, at 23:12, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, openup stops dead complaining that syspatch fails is one consequence and following patches are not installed.
>>
>> Without touching a fake X in a fake /usr/X11R6/bin I cannot patch the system further.
>
> You're talking about something different.
> I was talking about syspatch.

Does syspatch continue installing patches despite the error? I have another six machines to do so I’ll flip to running syspatch alone and openup later and see what happens.

Arrigo

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Theo de Raadt-2
>On 7 Dec 2018, at 23:12, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, openup stops dead complaining that syspatch fails is one consequence and following patches are not installed.
>>>
>>> Without touching a fake X in a fake /usr/X11R6/bin I cannot patch the system further.
>>
>> You're talking about something different.
>> I was talking about syspatch.
>
>Does syspatch continue installing patches despite the error? I have another six machines to do so I???ll flip to running syspatch alone and openup later and see what happens.

Will you start paying attention??

You have been told repeatedly that it is not an error.  It is simply a
message.

Please stop assuming the worst!

On 8 Dec 2018, at 08:25, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will you start paying attention??
>
> You have been told repeatedly that it is not an error.  It is simply a
> message.
>
> Please stop assuming the worst!

Theo, thank you for your wonderful use of language.

I have taken note of your pearls of wisdom along with the innate perfection which you exhale with every breath.

I will strive to reach your masterful superior intellect.

In the meantime I’ll check that indeed syspatch fails safe because, unfortunately, that is what matters not someone saying “it is not an error” while treating the other party as some sort of imbecile.

Arrigo

P.S. it is still a bug.

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Theo de Raadt-2
>Theo, thank you for your wonderful use of language.
>
>I have taken note of your pearls of wisdom along with the innate perfection
>which you exhale with every breath.
>
>I will strive to reach your masterful superior intellect.

Wow.

>In the meantime I'll check that indeed syspatch fails safe because,
>unfortunately, that is what matters not someone saying it is not an
>error while treating the other party as some sort of imbecile.

I don't understand why you needed to characterize yourself in that way,
but sure we'll go with that.

>P.S. it is still a bug.

Feel free to go run soe other software with "no bugs".

In the meantime, I'll also remind you:

# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
# WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
# WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
# ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

So please take your arrogance elsewhere.

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Arrigo Triulzi-2

On 8 Dec 2018, at 09:50, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> So please take your arrogance elsewhere.

Thank you pot!

Arrigo

P.S. “just a warning” which returns a fail return code is a bug. Contempt does not make it magically return 0 nor does it make the behaviour correct. Neither does doing a c&p on the license.

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Theo de Raadt-2
>On 8 Dec 2018, at 09:50, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>[...]
>> So please take your arrogance elsewhere.
>
>Thank you pot!
>
>Arrigo=20
>
>P.S. just a warning which returns a fail return code is a bug
>Contempt does not make it magically return 0 nor does it make the behaviour
>correct. Neither does doing a c&p on the license.

If you cannot respect the people who write the software, you probably
shouldn't run the software.

Just go away.

You are acting like a gigantic dickhead.

On 8 Dec 2018, at 10:15, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you cannot respect the people who write the software, you probably shouldn't run the software.
>
> Just go away.
>
> You are acting like a gigantic dickhead.

Theo, honestly, I actually pay m:tier Platinum support for myself and my clients, I am a fervent OpenBSD supporter and I opened what is a bug.

If you interpret a bug report as a lack of respect then there is a profound issue with your English comprehension.

My responses using your exact same contempt were a vain attempt at trying to point out that perhaps you were missing the point and making this a gigantic personal
issue but you somehow felt they were a direct attack.

Fair enough.

I remain grateful for OpenBSD, all the developers working on it and will continue paying m:tier and sending hardware when I can.

Arrigo

Re: OpenBSD 6.4: syspatch assumes all sets installed and fails otherwise

Theo de Raadt-2
>Theo, honestly, I actually pay m:tier Platinum support for myself and
>my clients, I am a fervent OpenBSD supporter and I opened what is a
>bug.

We don't CARE.

M:tier is not OpenBSD.

Antoine Jacoutot does not work for M:tier

You sent an email and you ignored the replies.  And kept talking!
And insulting people!  So amazing.

>If you interpret a bug report as a lack of respect then there is a
>profound issue with your English comprehension.

There is no bug.  There is a warning.  It is not an error because the
exit code does not indicate it is an error.

Regardless, NOTHING is going to be changed until the 6.5 release.

You are foaming at the mouth for no reason.

>My responses using your exact same contempt were a vain attempt at
>trying to point out that perhaps you were missing the point and
>making this a gigantic personal issue but you somehow felt they were
>a direct attack.

You have been told it is not a bug.  You keep being all proud of yourself
for having reported a bug.  But it isn't a bug.  Get over yourself.

how funny. You still don't get it.  Noone cares because noone believe you!

On 8 Dec 2018, at 10:33, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> how funny. You still don't get it.  Noone cares because noone believe you!

OK. Thanks.

Arrigo