OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Felipe Gomes
Folks,

I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty much
outdated.

What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
5.5?

Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual socket"?

What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
or VMware Paravirtual?

I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
more stable or perform better.

Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?

Thanks in advance!

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

James Shupe-4
On 2015-12-01 09:50, Felipe Gomes wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty
> much
> outdated.
>
> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on
> VMware
> 5.5?
>
> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?
>
> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
> socket"?
>
> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?
>
> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic
> SAS
> or VMware Paravirtual?
>
> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which
> is
> more stable or perform better.
>
> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?
>
> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is
> this
> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>
> Thanks in advance!

It runs just fine for me. I use "Other (64bit)" and change the NICs to
vmxnet3. Everything else remains the default.

James Shupe

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Reyk Floeter-2

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 01:50:57PM -0200, Felipe Gomes wrote:
> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty much
> outdated.
>
> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
> 5.5?
>
> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

I usually pick FreeBSD 64 bit.  It doesn't make a big difference, as
there aren't any defaults that fit OpenBSD.  VMware never dares to add
OpenBSD, and we are not using their drivers but reimplementations.

> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual socket"?

?  I think OpenBSD doesn't care.  GENERIC.MP will show you numbered
cpus, no matter if they are cores or sockets.

> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

Name - OpenBSD driver:

e1000* - em(4) (supports VLANs, but is kind of slow)
vmxnet2 - vic(4) (older NIC, no VLANs)
vmxnet3 - vmx(4) (emulates 10GbaseT, supports VLANs)

Use vmxnet3.

> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
> or VMware Paravirtual?

LSI Logic SAS - mpi(4)
VMware Paravirtual - vmwpvs(4)

Use LSI Logic SAS.  The VMware Paravirtual has bugs that might corrupt
your data (seen with fsck).

> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
> more stable or perform better.

You will also have vmt(4) for limited VMware tools support.

> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

Tuning?  No, everything should work by default and is enabled in GENERIC[.MP]

> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?

Many of them.

Reyk

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Mentesan
Hi Felipe,

I'm running OpenBSD VMWare guests without problem, both as Firewall, IPSec
VPN and FTP/SFTP servers.
If you plan to run H.A systems with CARP, just be sure to enable
"promiscuous mode" on the carp interfaces, both on the VM and the
Hypervisor side.

Everything else you can let the default options, I have both 'vic' and 'em'
interfaces without problem.

regards,
Fabio Almeida

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Felipe Gomes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty much
> outdated.
>
> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
> 5.5?
>
> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?
>
> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
> socket"?
>
> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?
>
> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
> or VMware Paravirtual?
>
> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
> more stable or perform better.
>
> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?
>
> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Rodney Hopkins

Works fine.  No major caveats that I'm aware of.

>Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

Currently "Other 64-bit" seems to be the way to go for me.  This has
varied a bit for me in the past.  "FreeBSD 64-bit" was my choice for
some time, then between about the 4.8 and 5.2 timeframe something
happened (not sure whether it was with VMWare or OpenBSD, but I began
having instability in my OpenBSD systems.  Random weird crashes.
Switched the OS selection to "Other 64-bit" and my problems went
away.  Rock solid stable now.  Conversely, I think the opposite was
also true at one point.  I used to run in "Other" mode and then a
upgraded  to  a  new  OpenBSD  version  and  began experiencing
instability.  Flipping to "FreeBSD" solved the issue for me then.  My
point in describing this is that so far, for me, changing the OS
setting between "FreeBSD" and "Other" has been the single most
important factor in determining the stability of OpenBSD on VMWare.

>How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
>socket"?

It just works.  Just like it does with physical cores.  Make sure
you select the .MP kernel if you want to take advantage of more than
one core/CPU in your OpenBSD VM.

>What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

I ran E1000 for years, no issue.  I converted to VMXNET3 around the
5.4 timeframe and haven't looked back.  Both are solid and both work
fine for my needs.

>What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI
>Logic SAS
>or VMware Paravirtual?

I always use the suggested default for the OS type I select, which is
LSI Logic Parallel.  I've never seen the need, nor advantage to
changing it.

>I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which
>is
>more stable or perform better.
>Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

As I said above, watch the "FreeBSD" "Other" setting.  If you upgrade
OpenBSD or patch VMWare and start getting crashes in OpenBSD try the
other OS setting for the guest VM.

>I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is
>this
>reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't call it "production" but I have OpenBSD guest VMs running
on VMWare 5.5 24x7 in my home lab.  They are solid and only go down,
when I tell them to.  Mind you, they don't get worked hard, it is only
a small home lab.  For my needs and in my setup, they are rock solid.

Hope that helps,

Rodney

Free E-mail by CamaroZ28.Com - FULL THROTTLE INTERNET

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

On 2015-12-01, Reyk Floeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
>> or VMware Paravirtual?
>
> LSI Logic SAS - mpi(4)
> VMware Paravirtual - vmwpvs(4)
>
> Use LSI Logic SAS.  The VMware Paravirtual has bugs that might corrupt
> your data (seen with fsck).

It just seems to drop the first write to a virtual disk. (Not "first after boot",
but "first ever after attaching the disk to vmwpvs" (where "attaching" includes
"changing the disk from another controller type to paravirtual").

YMMV but I interrupt the installer early and 'fdisk -iy sd0', resume the install
and haven't run into any problem.

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
> From:       Fabio Almeida <mentesan () gmail ! com>
> Date:       2015-12-01 16:18:43
> mail ! gmail ! com [Download message RAW]
>
> Hi Felipe,
>
> I'm running OpenBSD VMWare guests without problem, both as Firewall,
> IPSec VPN and FTP/SFTP servers.
> If you plan to run H.A systems with CARP, just be sure to enable
> "promiscuous mode" on the carp interfaces, both on the VM and the
> Hypervisor side.
>
> Everything else you can let the default options, I have both 'vic'
> and 'em' interfaces without problem.
>
> regards,
> Fabio Almeida

Please remember, Mr. Almeida, that if your firewall is a virtual
machine, the host is on the outside.
--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Nick Holland
On 12/01/15 13:32, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2015-12-01, Reyk Floeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
>>> or VMware Paravirtual?
>>
>> LSI Logic SAS - mpi(4)
>> VMware Paravirtual - vmwpvs(4)
>>
>> Use LSI Logic SAS.  The VMware Paravirtual has bugs that might corrupt
>> your data (seen with fsck).
>
> It just seems to drop the first write to a virtual disk. (Not "first after boot",
> but "first ever after attaching the disk to vmwpvs" (where "attaching" includes
> "changing the disk from another controller type to paravirtual").
>
> YMMV but I interrupt the installer early and 'fdisk -iy sd0', resume the install
> and haven't run into any problem.

Well, I have.
Nasty, repeatable problems bringing up VMs after hard shutdowns/restarts
(my local power company gave me a couple of those right after setting up
my VMware host).

fsck runs...writes changes out to disk, but misses the first write, so
root ends up being read-only, which is quite annoying when not expecting
it.  Not impossible (though a little odd) to fix, certainly, but much
more than you want to do in a production environment after an "event",
and heaven (and a few assistants) help you if you have 100 VMs to bring
back up.

Not to mention the idea of having the first write of an fsck just
mysteriously not happen kinda creeps me out.  I'm not a FS guy, but it
seems to me that skipping the occasional write, or even just the first
write, isn't going to improve data integrity. :)

Nick.

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Bruno Flueckiger
On 01.12.2015 16:50, Felipe Gomes wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty
> much
> outdated.
>
> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on
> VMware
> 5.5?
>
> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?
>
> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
> socket"?
>
> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?
>
> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic
> SAS
> or VMware Paravirtual?
>
> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which
> is
> more stable or perform better.
>
> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?
>
> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is
> this
> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I run a productive SMTP server with OpenBSD 5.8-stable on VMware 5.5 for
some
months and so far I didn't experience any problems. Guest OS is FreeBSD,
NIC
is VMXNET3 and the controller is LSI Logic Parallel.

There are plans for more OpenBSD servers on VMware in the company I work
for
due to the small footprint of the OS and the very good experience we
have so
far.

Cheers,
Bruno

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Felipe Gomes
I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Thanks a lot!

You guys are amazing.

Best regards,
Felipe Gomes

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Bruno Flueckiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01.12.2015 16:50, Felipe Gomes wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
>> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty
>> much
>> outdated.
>>
>> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
>> 5.5?
>>
>> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?
>>
>> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
>> socket"?
>>
>> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?
>>
>> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
>> or VMware Paravirtual?
>>
>> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
>> more stable or perform better.
>>
>> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?
>>
>> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
>> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> I run a productive SMTP server with OpenBSD 5.8-stable on VMware 5.5 for
> some
> months and so far I didn't experience any problems. Guest OS is FreeBSD,
> NIC
> is VMXNET3 and the controller is LSI Logic Parallel.
>
> There are plans for more OpenBSD servers on VMware in the company I work
> for
> due to the small footprint of the OS and the very good experience we have
> so
> far.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruno

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Comète-2
2 décembre 2015 13:00 "Felipe Gomes" <[hidden email]> a écrit:
> I just
wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Thanks a lot!

> You guys are
amazing.

Felipe Gomes wrote:

>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to search for
more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
>>> guest, but I wasn't able to find
much... and the information is pretty
>>> much
>>> outdated.
>>>
>>> What are
the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
>>> 5.5?
>>>
>>> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual

socket"?

>>> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or
VMXNET3?

>>> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel,
LSI Logic SAS
>>> or VMware Paravirtual?
>>>
>>> I'd believe that all of
these options work... I just don't know which is
>>> more stable or perform
better.

>>> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this

reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?

Thanks in advance!

>> I run a productive SMTP server with OpenBSD
5.8-stable on VMware 5.5 for
>> some
>> months and so far I didn't experience
any problems. Guest OS is FreeBSD,
>> NIC
>> is VMXNET3 and the controller is
LSI Logic Parallel.

>> There are plans for more OpenBSD servers on VMware
in the company I work
>> for
>> due to the small footprint of the OS and the
very good experience we have
>> so
>> far.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bruno

Hi,

works
here like a charm, on prod with OpenBSD 5.8 amd64 :

Guest OS is FreeBSD 64
NIC is VMXNET3
scsi controller is paravirtual

multiple openbsd VMs on vmware
since 3 years without any problems.

Morgan

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Felipe Gomes
Folks,

I'm kinda worried with the performance: the host is a Dell R815 4 CPU
Opteron 6136 / 64GB. There are no other VMs at the moment, just a single
stance of OpenBSD 5.8 installed, 4 virtual CPUs, 8 GB RAM.

I've already enabled softdep on fstab, however it's taking more than 45
minutes to compile the kernel (no modifications, GENERIC and GENERIC.MP
aswell, and no installation -- I'm just doing this to benchmark).

Two hours ago I've started the make build and it seems its stalled on the
cleaning phase yet.

I don't think this is right...

If needed, I can provide dmesg or any other information related to this.

Once again, thanks a lot.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Comète <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2 décembre 2015 13:00 "Felipe Gomes" <[hidden email]> a écrit:
> > I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Thanks a lot!
> >
> > You guys are amazing.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Felipe Gomes
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Bruno Flueckiger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> VMware

> SAS

> is

> this

> >> I run a productive SMTP server with OpenBSD 5.8-stable on VMware 5.5 for
> >> some
> >> months and so far I didn't experience any problems. Guest OS is FreeBSD,
> >> NIC
> >> is VMXNET3 and the controller is LSI Logic Parallel.
> >>
> >> There are plans for more OpenBSD servers on VMware in the company I work
> >> for
> >> due to the small footprint of the OS and the very good experience we
> have
> >> so
> >> far.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Bruno
>
> Hi,
>
> works here like a charm, on prod with OpenBSD 5.8 amd64 :
>
> Guest OS is FreeBSD 64
> NIC is VMXNET3
> scsi controller is paravirtual
>
> multiple openbsd VMs on vmware since 3 years without any problems.
>
> Morgan

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 02:40:48PM -0200, Felipe Gomes wrote:

> I'm kinda worried with the performance: the host is a Dell R815 4 CPU
> Opteron 6136 / 64GB. There are no other VMs at the moment, just a single
> stance of OpenBSD 5.8 installed, 4 virtual CPUs, 8 GB RAM.
>
> I've already enabled softdep on fstab, however it's taking more than 45
> minutes to compile the kernel (no modifications, GENERIC and GENERIC.MP
> aswell, and no installation -- I'm just doing this to benchmark).
>
> Two hours ago I've started the make build and it seems its stalled on the
> cleaning phase yet.
>
> I don't think this is right...
>
> If needed, I can provide dmesg or any other information related to this.
>
> Once again, thanks a lot.

I'm not sure how much you've worked with VMware ESXi before but does
this host have a battery backed RAID controller configured? If you're
using a single SATA disk or even a RAID array without battery backed
cache, all caching is disabled and all disk access will be extremely
slow (I forget all the exact details now). This can be mitigated for the
most part by using an SSD but the best performance is definitely with a
battery backed RAID controller. I've used LSI SAS9261-8i with the
appropriate BBU module very successfully with my own custom ESXi servers
with excellent success.

As far as OpenBSD on ESXi goes, I've never personally had any issues
except for an issue five years ago where a NetApp filer would run some
maintenance routines at 2am which caused the NFS-backed datastore to not
respond briefly and that caused OpenBSD VMs to sense something was wrong
at the filesystem level and panic. Just before I arrived on the scene,
the change had been made for the ESXi hosts to connect to the NetApp
filer using NFS rather than Fibre Channel and I think this change made a
big difference but wasn't able to fully prove this out.

Otherwise, I've used OpenBSD VMs on ESXi 4, 5, 5.5, and 6 without issue
using direct attached storage (LSI SAS9261-8i with BBU and 4-8 drives in
RAID 10) and also with SSDs temporarily in some cases. I'm happy for the
more precise information in this thread regarding some of the VM
settings but I've mostly used the defaults and also found that the
vmt(4) driver tends to change my OpenBSD/amd64 VMs to show as "FreeBSD
32-bit" although I normally select "Other 64-bit" although this seems to
have no functional change that I have observed.

Bryan

Re: OpenBSD 5.8 on VMware 5.5

Kurt Mosiejczuk-7
On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 01:50:57PM -0200, Felipe Gomes wrote:

> I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
> guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty much
> outdated.

> What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
> 5.5?

> Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

I used to do FreeBSD, but have switched to Other (64bit).  If you pick
virtual hardware that FreeBSD doesn't support (or that VMware doesn't think
FreeBSD supports) VMware will cry every time you try to use features
like Vmotion, warning that the world may end.  Mainly annoying.

> How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual socket"?

Haven't tried this.  I generally use VMs to partition jobs, and one
core is more than enough for each job.  Memory is far more likely to be
an issue before a VM hits maximum CPU.

> What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

I've used at least all but "E1000E" (and may have done that, but aren't sure)
and they have all worked fine.  I slowly migrated up as the different
drivers came into OpenBSD.  I've been doing OpenBSD on VMware for a long
time now.

> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
> or VMware Paravirtual?

I've tried both LSI Logic Parallel and the VMware paravirtual.  I had
seen the occasional install weirdness with the paravirtual that based on
what I've seen in this thread, has led me to abandon using it.  Mainly
the problem where root ends up read-only and you have to boot single
user to fsck it manually to fix things.

LSI Logic Parallel has been flawless.

> I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
> more stable or perform better.

I've not really noticed any big performance gains with the different options,
but I haven't done testing to find it.

> Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

> I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
> reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?

Lots and lots.  I find OpenBSD one of the best behaved guests on my virtual
infrastructure.

--Kurt Mosiejczuk