OpenBSD 4.8

Bambero-3
Hi,

I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
using preorders.
I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.

Thanks,
Bambero

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Karl Sjodahl - dunceor-2
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
> using preorders.
> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.
>
> Thanks,
> Bambero

The code is in cvs, just download it and build yourself.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Neal Hogan
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
> using preorders.
> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.

I'm no dev, but from the answer that was given a couple of days ago to
the same question was 'no'.

Besides, current is 4.8 and arguably just as stable (plus it is avaliable now).

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Alexander Hall-3
On 09/15/10 13:41, Neal Hogan wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
>> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
>> using preorders.
>> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.
>>

> I'm no dev, but from the answer that was given a couple of days ago to
> the same question was 'no'.
>
> Besides, current is 4.8 and arguably just as stable (plus it is avaliable now).

No. -current has already moved on.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Neal Hogan
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/15/10 13:41, Neal Hogan wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
>>> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
>>> using preorders.
>>> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.
>>>

>> I'm no dev, but from the answer that was given a couple of days ago to
>> the same question was 'no'.
>>
>> Besides, current is 4.8 and arguably just as stable (plus it is avaliable now).
>
> No. -current has already moved on.

Let me re-phrase . . . -current is 4.8 with additional improvements.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Bambero-3
Yes, it seems to be the best way.

Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Dunceor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
>> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
>> using preorders.
>> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bambero
>>

> The code is in cvs, just download it and build yourself.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Kevin Chadwick-2
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:53:57 -0500
Neal Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I'm no dev, but from the answer that was given a couple of days ago to
> >> the same question was 'no'.
> >>
> >> Besides, current is 4.8 and arguably just as stable (plus it is avaliable now).
> >
> > No. -current has already moved on.
> >

> Let me re-phrase . . . -current is 4.8 with additional improvements.

All ports are maintained to the highest level in current.

Errata is released for the most recent two stable releases and
obviously already applied in current.

4.8 stable ports won't be ready yet and current ports may fail anyway.

After 4.8 is released for a little while, I imagine the more important
ports which are upto date security wise for 4.8 stable, will not be
updated at all or maybe if trivial for 4.7, is that right?

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Kevin Chadwick-2
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:53:58 +0200
Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it seems to be the best way.
>
> Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Dunceor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'd like to know, is OpenBSD 4.8 ready now ?
> >> Release date is 01-11-2010 but maybe it's possible to have it now
> >> using preorders.
> >> I have to change datacenter in next week, so it's best time to upgrade.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bambero
> >>

> > The code is in cvs, just download it and build yourself.

Yep, but the shasums will fail, however it will continue and tell you
them, so you can verify manually.

You can choose local or url etc as source.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
Bambero <[hidden email]> writes:

> Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?

There is no way to do that.  Installing from a 4.7 cd set gives you
4.7, and by now there's a few patches you might want to apply after a
fresh install.

When 4.8 is released (or you preordered CD set arrives), it's really
easy to upgrade to the newer version from 4.7, but booting off install
media for one version to install another is not supported.

The quick upgrade involves a sysmerge using the newer etc archives,
boot from cd or bsd.rd, choose upgrade and answer a few obvious
questions.

Even for a fresh install, the installation involves mostly pressing
return these days anyway except choosing your keyboard layout and
entering usernames and passwords.

As for your perceived need to upgrade this week, what you should do
depends on your specific application(s).  The real OpenBSD 4.8 is not
available yet, and you've already missed the closest snapshot by what
must be a few weeks.  You could opt to install a snapshot and go
-current(ish), or if that is not an option, go for 4.7 and wait for
those CDs to arrive.

- P

<plug type="shameless">
(and yes, http://is.gd/eM4Yc is likely to be available roughly in time for this release)
</plug>

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Henning Brauer
* Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> [2010-09-15 18:14]:
> > Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?
> Yep, but the shasums will fail, however it will continue and tell you
> them, so you can verify manually.

sigh. sometimes it is better to say nothing. especially instead of
saying bullshit.
the 4.7 installer will not install 4.8. one reason, to begin with, is
that it looks for base47.tgz and not base48.tgz. but there is more,
just renaming the files won't cut it either.

and until release day there won't be any patches
(security/reliability) for 4.8, running that is about as clever as
running in a hamster wheel.

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

On 2010-09-15, Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All ports are maintained to the highest level in current.
>
> Errata is released for the most recent two stable releases and
> obviously already applied in current.
>
> 4.8 stable ports won't be ready yet and current ports may fail anyway.
>

> After 4.8 is released for a little while, I imagine the more important
> ports which are upto date security wise for 4.8 stable, will not be
> updated at all or maybe if trivial for 4.7, is that right?

-stable port updates are just for the most recent release.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

On 2010-09-15, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Dunceor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The code is in cvs, just download it and build yourself.
> Yes, it seems to be the best way.

It is possible, but if you have to ask these questions you aren't
going to get it right. Moving up from 4.7 you will most likely have
problems getting gcc updated, and moving back from -current you
will most likely end up building against wrong libraries.

> Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?

Yes, you can. ^C at the install/upgrade prompt, set the VERSION
variable, then run 'install'. But if you're building *.tgz sets anyway,
you get an iso image created too, and it's safer and easier to just
use that.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Kevin Chadwick-2
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:08:57 +0200
Henning Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> [2010-09-15 18:14]:
> > > Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?
> > Yep, but the shasums will fail, however it will continue and tell you
> > them, so you can verify manually.
>
> sigh. sometimes it is better to say nothing. especially instead of
> saying bullshit.
> the 4.7 installer will not install 4.8. one reason, to begin with, is
> that it looks for base47.tgz and not base48.tgz. but there is more,
> just renaming the files won't cut it either.

Worked for me many times when testing for 4.7 sets with a 4.6 image that
the host already had in it's library. Have the install scripts changed
again? I know it's not supported but the vast vast majority of the
time, it should work just fine.

I certainly wasn't advising to use 4.8 stable now, as he said, the sets
aren't available, just trying to give the facts.

I also certainly feel the advocacy for running current is too high, it
is often suggested without also saying they should follow src changes
and ports changes.

Unless you need a new feature or certain port like firefox, surely
stable is the most stable and aside from checking ports the easiest
option and likely less reboots and executions as root.

> and until release day there won't be any patches
> (security/reliability) for 4.8, running that is about as clever as
> running in a hamster wheel.

Good point, I guess it's a good job you can't get the sets, though a
security problem in a port is far more likely, which I mentioned. Aside
from ssl I'm struggling to think of one that's truly worried me. I've
usually disabled things like ipv6, when it's been a problem.

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Henning Brauer
* Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> [2010-09-15 23:24]:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:08:57 +0200
> Henning Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > * Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> [2010-09-15 18:14]:
> > > Yep, but the shasums will fail, however it will continue and tell you
> > > them, so you can verify manually.
> >
> > sigh. sometimes it is better to say nothing. especially instead of
> > saying bullshit.
> > the 4.7 installer will not install 4.8. one reason, to begin with, is
> > that it looks for base47.tgz and not base48.tgz. but there is more,
> > just renaming the files won't cut it either.
> >

> Worked for me many times when testing for 4.7 sets with a 4.6 image that
> the host already had in it's library. Have the install scripts changed
> again? I know it's not supported but the vast vast majority of the
> time, it should work just fine.

no, they haven't looked for other but the sets of the booted bsd.rd
version for ages, if not ever

> > and until release day there won't be any patches
> > (security/reliability) for 4.8, running that is about as clever as
> > running in a hamster wheel.
> Good point, I guess it's a good job you can't get the sets, though a
> security problem in a port is far more likely, which I mentioned. Aside
> from ssl I'm struggling to think of one that's truly worried me. I've
> usually disabled things like ipv6, when it's been a problem.

there are no packages for an upcoming release either in advance. not
even speaking of erratas.
even if you have the cd: that's a small subset.

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting

Re: OpenBSD 4.8

Robert Bronsdon
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:53:58 +0100, Bambero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, it seems to be the best way.
>
> Does anyone know that may I use 4.7 instalation CD to install 4.8 sets ?

My advice,

(for what its worth)

Don't just dump OpenBSD on your data centre. Spend the next few weeks
testing it and learning how to use it. 4.7 should do fine for this (not
forgetting to test 4.8 when its released). Work out why what you've said
wont work etc.

Then you will be in a good/better position to know what to roll out and
4.8 will be released fully.

--
Robert Bronsdon