OpenBSD 4.5 and XVR500

JKB

OpenBSD 4.5 and XVR500

JKB
        Hello,

        I'm trying to install OBSD 4.5 on a Sun Blade 2000 (dual
UltraSPARC-III+/900, 2 GB, 2 FCAL disks and a XVR500 framebuffer). I
don't know OpenBSD very well, I only have installed a long time ago this
system on an IBM laptop, but I know some other unix system (Net,
FreeBSD...).

        I have burned a CD to install a minimal system. My blade boots on UP
kernel, but kernel hangs (without panic or other information) just after
ifb initialization. I have tried SMP kernel. Same result, kernel hangs
just after ifb initialization and without any information.

        So. To install system, I have modified intput and output devices and I
have installed it with a serial console. Now, basic installation is done
and I try to reboot on internal disk. Kernel is booting and hangs just
after framebuffer initialization. I have tried to modify output device
to force a resolution (screen:r1280x1024x60) without any result. Rarely,
kernel boots until login prompt.

        I haven't found any bug report. I don't think I have made a mistake.
Are there any workarounds ?

        Regards,

        JKB

Re: OpenBSD 4.5 and XVR500

Miod Vallat
> I have burned a CD to install a minimal system. My blade boots on UP
> kernel, but kernel hangs (without panic or other information) just after
> ifb initialization. I have tried SMP kernel. Same result, kernel hangs just
> after ifb initialization and without any information.

We only found after 4.5 that there is another ifb(4) flavour we do not
support properyl, unfortunately.

> I haven't found any bug report. I don't think I have made a mistake. Are
> there any workarounds ?

Disable the ifb(4) driver (boot -c, disable ifb, exit) and the machine
should work. Then, please send us a dmesg as well as the output of
`eeprom -p' and `pcidump -xx'.

Miod