OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

ICMan
I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
pre-release?

ICMan

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Darrin Chandler
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:16:07AM -0400, ICMan wrote:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?

It'll be on the FTP servers on the release date.

A while back Theo annouced that they were taking pre-orders. That's the
time to make your order if you want your CDs early. :)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Luca Corti-3
On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 09:16 -0400, ICMan wrote:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in

It is not uploaded on the FTP until Nov, 1st, which is the official
release date.

> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?

By ordering the CD set.

ciao

Luca

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Ingo Schwarze
ICMan wrote on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:16:07AM -0400:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process,
> but why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving
> it in their homes on CD?

It is not yet released, in particular, any required errata may
not yet be complete.  Search the archives, i recently explained this
in more detail.

> And how do I get on that list of people who get the pre-release?

Pre-order as soon as pre-orders are possible, and make sure you always
pay as soon as you are asked to pay.

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Mike Hernandez-3
On Oct 26, 2006, at 9:16 AM, ICMan wrote:

> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process,
> but why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are
> receiving it in their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list
> of people who get the pre-release?
>
> ICMan

Pre-orders have been accepted for weeks. People who pre-order get
cd's early if the cd's are done being made and are sitting around.
It's all in the archives...

Mike

PS pre-orders do not guarantee early delivery... I'm still waiting
for mine here in ny but it's ok because my 3.9 systems are running
just fine and they can wait  :)

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Dylan Hall-2
Hi ICMan,

I am new to the list and I do not fully understand the process either.
However, I believe that the project gets a large portion of its funding from
the sale of CDs. So to give added incentive to buy CDs, those who pre-order
get the release early. I  think this is how it works but I could be wrong..

Dylan

On 10/26/06, ICMan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?
>
> ICMan

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

daniel.ramaley (Bugzilla)
On Thursday 26 October 2006 08:16, you wrote:
>I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
>why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
>their homes on CD?

From https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order:
    "Will release and ship November 1 2006"
If you order early you get it shipped early as a bonus.

>And how do I get on that list of people who get
> the pre-release?

http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

Dan Ramaley                            Dial Center 118, Drake University
Network Programmer/Analyst             2407 Carpenter Ave
+1 515 271-4540                        Des Moines IA 50311 USA

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Henning Brauer
* ICMan <[hidden email]> [2006-10-26 15:21]:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?

because it is not released yet?

> And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?

you just order very early, and most of the time you'll have your CDs
before release date.

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting - Hamburg & Amsterdam

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Nico Meijer
Hi ICMan,

> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?

4.0 is due Nov 1st. People who pre-order, get their stuff beforehand.

> And how do I get on that list of people who get
> the pre-release?

You pre-order. Just take a good look at http://www.openbsd.org/ and you'll
see what I mean.

'We' do not get a pre-release (which might be -current at
any given time, if you like to think like that), but the final and only
release.

'We' just get it early, because -in Europe- Wim just really, really loves
us and wants to make us happy.

HTH... Nico

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

L. V. Lammert
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, ICMan wrote:

> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?
>
> ICMan

If you want it early, you have to pre-order when it is available. We
received our CDs early this week.

        Lee

  Leland V. Lammert            [hidden email]
    Chief Scientist     Omnitec Corporation
 Network/Internet Consultants   www.omnitec.net

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Janne Johansson-2
ICMan wrote:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?

Folks who pre-order gets an advantage. The rest of us has to wait 4 more
days for the FTP to release it.

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Gordon Grieder
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:16:07AM -0400, ICMan wrote:
> I admit that I am not the most up to date on the release process, but
> why is 4.0 not out on the FTP server yet if people are receiving it in
> their homes on CD?  And how do I get on that list of people who get the
> pre-release?

You have to pre-order it off the website, see
http://www.openbsd.org/orders.html

It's a good idea; CD sales help the project, you get automatic male
enhancement without having to pop pills and your breath will be minty
fresh until the next release.

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Jacob Yocom-Piatt
>PS pre-orders do not guarantee early delivery... I'm still waiting
>for mine here in ny but it's ok because my 3.9 systems are running
>just fine and they can wait  :)

AFAICT, you cannot update packages to 4.0 versions until November 1st since
they're not available on the FTP mirrors. if this is true, there's as great an
advantage to getting the CDs early as one would think.

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Martin Schröder
2006/10/26, Dylan Hall <[hidden email]>:
> I am new to the list and I do not fully understand the process either.

Then RTFAQ!

Re: OpenBSD 4.0 - Where is it?

Bob DeBolt
> I am new to the list and I do not fully understand the process either.
> However, I believe that the project gets a large portion of its funding
> from the sale of CDs. So to give added incentive to buy CDs, those who
> pre-order get the release early. I  think this is how it works but I could
> be wrong..

You are correct and don't forget the cool T-shirts!!

Mr D