OpenBSD 3.8 and Dell 1850 with PERC4/DC controller

OpenBSD 3.8 and Dell 1850 with PERC4/DC controller

Thomas Mullins
We have a Dell 1850 with a PERC4/DC controller.  When I try installing OpenBSD
3.8, I am having some troubles.  3.8 will sees the card as with the mpt0
driver.  Which will not recognize my RAID1 config.  The hardware compatibility
guide tells me the mpt0 is support for a standard scsi card.  According to the
hardware guide, the correct driver for RAID support is ami.  When I boot with
the, boot -cs and add the ami driver support, I get a no disk drive support.
To check the drive config I installed and booted another OS.  Any
help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Dell 1850 with PERC4/DC controller

Brian A. Seklecki
I've only had the priv. to run OpenBSD on the 750 and 850 1Us from Dell.

However I have a number of FreeBSD 5.3x hosts on single and dual-proc 1850
models, some with RAID and some with standard SCSI.

The standard SCSI config (on which I run software RAID) probes as:

NAME
      mpt(4) -- LSI Fusion-MPT SCSI/Fibre Channel driver

mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xdfde0000-0xdfdeffff,0xdfdf0000-0xdfdfffff irq 34 at device 5.0 on pci2
mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ses0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
da0 at mpt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da1 at mpt0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0

The hardware RAID (with cache and battery and all) probes as:

NAME
      amr(4) -- AMI MegaRAID PCI-SCSI RAID driver

amr0: <LSILogic MegaRAID> mem 0xdfde0000-0xdfdfffff,0xd80f0000-0xd80fffff
irq 46 at device 14.0 on pci2
amr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
amr0: <LSILogic PERC 4e/Si> Firmware 521S, BIOS H430, 256MB RAM
amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 69880MB (143114240 sectors) RAID 1 (optimal)

Maybe check your invoice?

~BAS

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, shane mullins wrote:

> We have a Dell 1850 with a PERC4/DC controller.  When I try installing OpenBSD
> 3.8, I am having some troubles.  3.8 will sees the card as with the mpt0
> driver.  Which will not recognize my RAID1 config.  The hardware compatibility
> guide tells me the mpt0 is support for a standard scsi card.  According to the
> hardware guide, the correct driver for RAID support is ami.  When I boot with
> the, boot -cs and add the ami driver support, I get a no disk drive support.
> To check the drive config I installed and booted another OS.  Any
> help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Shane

l8*
  -lava

x.25 - minix - bitnet - plan9 - 110 bps - ASR 33 - base8

Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Dell 1850 with PERC4/DC controller

Marco Peereboom
You need to do some reading on the BIOS settings of the 1850.  There
is an option in there where you can switch from SCSI (mpt) to RAID
(ami) mode and back.  The trick is that it requires a so called "RAID
key" for this functionality to work.  This is a purchase option;
don't know if you bought it or not.  1850s work fine with OpenBSD 3.8.

/marco

On Dec 5, 2005, at 9:14 AM, shane mullins wrote:

> We have a Dell 1850 with a PERC4/DC controller.  When I try
> installing OpenBSD
> 3.8, I am having some troubles.  3.8 will sees the card as with the
> mpt0
> driver.  Which will not recognize my RAID1 config.  The hardware
> compatibility
> guide tells me the mpt0 is support for a standard scsi card.
> According to the
> hardware guide, the correct driver for RAID support is ami.  When I
> boot with
> the, boot -cs and add the ami driver support, I get a no disk drive
> support.
> To check the drive config I installed and booted another OS.  Any
> help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Shane

Re: OpenBSD 3.8 and Dell 1850 with PERC4/DC controller SOLVED

Thomas Mullins
Thanks,

    Ryan Fox told me to change the BIOS setting from i2o to mass
storage.  This setting worked great.

Shane