OpenBSD 3.8 Boot fail report by Dr C S Kirk, Bath, UK

OpenBSD 3.8 Boot fail report by Dr C S Kirk, Bath, UK

Dr Christopher S Kirk
Hi

Here is my report.  I hope you can help.
Thanks

Title:  Boot fail with OpenBSD (release 1 Nov 2005) Toshiba Satellite laptop

Date:  5 Nov 2005

Author: Dr C S Kirk, University of Bath, UK, (at home)

This is a report of a boot failure problem encountered three times by Dr C S
Kirk,

University of Bath, UK

Brief:
Machine Toshiba Satellite 1110
256MB RAM - Large HDD - internal ethernet - pcmcia Prism 2 wi - external usb
mouse
Previously used for Fedora Core 4 satisfactorily

OpenBSD 3.8 was installed satisfactorily and rebooted twice into the root shell
dmesg was copied to '/var/dmesg_original.txt'
A new user was added 'cskirk'
'Enlightenment' was added
The machine was shutdown for the night.

The machine failed to boot - 'Unknown error help!'
Access was attempted but failed.  mount of wd0a was not possible - vi not
available - fstab as expected - lack of experience with openbsd limited further
exploration
An upgrade install was performed without error

The same problem occurred on reboot.

A complete reinstall was repeated.

The system booted satisfactorily.
dmesg was copied to '/var/dmesg_original.txt'
A new user was added 'cskirk'
All packages were transferred to a new directory '/home/packages'
Gnome was installed (lengthy process)
The machine was shutdown without further testing due to time constraints

The machine was booted today but failed

Details:
The machine boots with what appears to be 'normal' white-on-blue text.  It
appears

to correctly assemble all known hardware but then reports the following

white-on-black.

Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
/dev/rwd0a: file system is clean: not checking
fsck: exec /usr/sbin/fsck_cd9660 for /dev/rcd0a No such file or directory
Unknown error: help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <cursor>
EndQuote

End of report

I do hope you can help resolve this matter.

I am most happy to assist in any way...indeed the purpose of now using this
system

is to develop and offer to become a developer with you.

Best regards and thanks

Chris
at home

Dr Christopher S Kirk MInstNDT ASME
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Bath
Bath UK, BA2 7AY

Telephone:       +44 (0) 1 225 384 560
Fax:             +44 (0) 1 225 386 928
Email:           [hidden email]
Information:     http://people.bath.ac.uk/enscsk/

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential,and
may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you have received this email in error or think you may have done
so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this
message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the
original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should
check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The author does not
accept any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this e-mail.

Re: OpenBSD 3.8 Boot fail report by Dr C S Kirk, Bath, UK

Damien Miller
Dr Christopher S Kirk wrote:
> Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
> /dev/rwd0a: file system is clean: not checking
> fsck: exec /usr/sbin/fsck_cd9660 for /dev/rcd0a No such file or directory
> Unknown error: help!
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <cursor>
> EndQuote

It looks like you have messed up your /etc/fstab, probably by entering a
non-zero value in the fs_passno column for a cd9660 filesystem - you
should set it back to zero because there is no tool (or reason) for
fsck'ing CD filesystem. Read "man fstab" for details.

-d