Open BSD commands

Ajith Kumar-3
Hi,
I have two silly questions..

How to see the memoy details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

How to see the processor details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

Regards
Ajith

"SASKEN RATED Among THE Top 3 BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR IN INDIA - SURVEY 2005 conducted by the BUSINESS TODAY - Mercer - TNS India"

                           SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email

Re: Open BSD commands

Andreas Kahari
On 29/06/06, Ajith Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two silly questions..
>
> How to see the memoy details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

$ sysctl hw.physmem
hw.physmem=1073278976

> How to see the processor details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

$ sysctl hw.machine
hw.machine=amd64
$ sysctl hw.model
hw.model=AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
$ sysctl hw.ncpu
hw.ncpu=1

$ sysctl hw.vendor
hw.vendor=Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
$ sysctl hw.product
hw.product=K8T800-8237

Andreas

--
Andreas Kahari
Somewhere in the general Cambridge area, UK

Re: Open BSD commands

Gilles Chehade
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:01:22AM +0100, Andreas Kahari wrote:

> On 29/06/06, Ajith Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I have two silly questions..
> >
> >How to see the memoy details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?
> >

> $ sysctl hw.physmem
> hw.physmem=1073278976
>
> >How to see the processor details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?
> >

> $ sysctl hw.machine
> hw.machine=amd64
> $ sysctl hw.model
> hw.model=AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
> $ sysctl hw.ncpu
> hw.ncpu=1
>
> $ sysctl hw.vendor
> hw.vendor=Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
> $ sysctl hw.product
> hw.product=K8T800-8237
>

> Andreas

Is this your way of saying you have an amd64 ? show off ! ;)

Re: Open BSD commands

Scott Francis
On 6/28/06, Ajith Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two silly questions..
>
> How to see the memoy details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?
>
> How to see the processor details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?
[snip ridiculous boilerplate disclaimer]

the canonical answer is dmesg(8), although Andreas' response
definitely parses more easily (learn something new every day :)).
--
darkuncle@{gmail.com,darkuncle.net} || 0x5537F527
    encrypted email to the latter address please
    http://darkuncle.net/pubkey.asc for public key

Re: Open BSD commands

Adam Douglas
Hi. When I try doing sysctl on hw.vendor and hw.product I receive a
message of "sysctl: second level name vendor in hw.vendor is invalid"
and "sysctl: second level name product in hw.product is invalid". Does
this mean syctl is unable to retrieve this information or the
information is not present?

Best,
Adam

On 29/06/06, Ajith Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two silly questions..
>
> How to see the memoy details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

$ sysctl hw.physmem
hw.physmem=1073278976

> How to see the processor details of a OpenBSD machine using commands ?

$ sysctl hw.machine
hw.machine=amd64
$ sysctl hw.model
hw.model=AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ $ sysctl hw.ncpu
hw.ncpu=1

$ sysctl hw.vendor
hw.vendor=Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
$ sysctl hw.product
hw.product=K8T800-8237

Re: Open BSD commands

Joachim Schipper
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:19:32AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:
> Hi. When I try doing sysctl on hw.vendor and hw.product I receive a
> message of "sysctl: second level name vendor in hw.vendor is invalid"
> and "sysctl: second level name product in hw.product is invalid". Does
> this mean syctl is unable to retrieve this information or the
> information is not present?

I get

$ sysctl hw.vendor
sysctl: hw.vendor: value is not available
$ sysctl hw.product
hw.product=VT8366-8233

on my -current box; the box next to it gives 'Dell Computer Corporation'
for hw.vendor.

All in all, not quite the same as you... did you mistype, perhaps?

                Joachim

Re: Open BSD commands

Adam Douglas
No, I double checked the commands and they are typed correctly. I still
receive the messages I mentioned below.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:19:32AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:
>> Hi. When I try doing sysctl on hw.vendor and hw.product I receive a
>> message of "sysctl: second level name vendor in hw.vendor is invalid"
>> and "sysctl: second level name product in hw.product is invalid".
Does
>> this mean syctl is unable to retrieve this information or the
>> information is not present?

>I get
>
>$ sysctl hw.vendor
>sysctl: hw.vendor: value is not available $ sysctl hw.product
>hw.product=VT8366-8233
>
>on my -current box; the box next to it gives 'Dell Computer
Corporation'
>for hw.vendor.
>
>All in all, not quite the same as you... did you mistype, perhaps?
>
> Joachim

Re: Open BSD commands

Tobias Ulmer
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:06:06AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:
> No, I double checked the commands and they are typed correctly. I still
> receive the messages I mentioned below.

Your hardware vendor etc. simply isn't detected (yet). No need to worry.
To see whats available about your hardware, type 'sysctl hw'.

Tobias

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:19:32AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:
> >> Hi. When I try doing sysctl on hw.vendor and hw.product I receive a
> >> message of "sysctl: second level name vendor in hw.vendor is invalid"
> >> and "sysctl: second level name product in hw.product is invalid".
> Does
> >> this mean syctl is unable to retrieve this information or the
> >> information is not present?
>
> >I get
> >
> >$ sysctl hw.vendor
> >sysctl: hw.vendor: value is not available $ sysctl hw.product
> >hw.product=VT8366-8233
> >
> >on my -current box; the box next to it gives 'Dell Computer
> Corporation'
> >for hw.vendor.
> >
> >All in all, not quite the same as you... did you mistype, perhaps?
> >
> > Joachim

Re: Open BSD commands

Henning Brauer
* Tobias Ulmer <[hidden email]> [2006-06-29 18:21]:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:06:06AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:
> > No, I double checked the commands and they are typed correctly. I still
> > receive the messages I mentioned below.
>
> Your hardware vendor etc. simply isn't detected (yet). No need to worry.
> To see whats available about your hardware, type 'sysctl hw'.

the vendor and product info come from smbios. the code wasn't there in
3.9.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...