[OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

[OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Matt-189
Quite possibly more of a 'which software' question:

I am looking for a way to have two parties share documents securely
through an OpenBSD server.
User A can not look into directory B but is allowed in dir C, that sort
of thing. Sharing occurs through untrusted / changing networks.

Obviously a simple SFTP structure seems to cut it, but would require all
users (different platforms) to install sftp clients.
Is there anything else (preferably in ports) that could do this better /
prettier ?

Thanks!

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Jan Stary
On Aug 17 12:27:04, Matt wrote:
> Quite possibly more of a 'which software' question:
>
> I am looking for a way to have two parties share documents securely
> through an OpenBSD server.
> User A can not look into directory B but is allowed in dir C, that sort
> of thing. Sharing occurs through untrusted / changing networks.
>
> Obviously a simple SFTP structure seems to cut it, but would require all
> users (different platforms) to install sftp clients.

What's the problem with that?
Or scp clients.

> Is there anything else (preferably in ports) that could do this better /
> prettier ?

Nothing that wouldn't require to be installed.

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Joel Wirāmu Pauling
Any reason why you can't just use https and webserver?

On 17 August 2010 22:27, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quite possibly more of a 'which software' question:
>
> I am looking for a way to have two parties share documents securely through
> an OpenBSD server.
> User A can not look into directory B but is allowed in dir C, that sort of
> thing. Sharing occurs through untrusted / changing networks.
>
> Obviously a simple SFTP structure seems to cut it, but would require all
> users (different platforms) to install sftp clients.
> Is there anything else (preferably in ports) that could do this better /
> prettier ?
>
> Thanks!

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Matt-189
 >> Any reason why you can't just use https and webserver?

No, not really, apart from the overhead / possible security problems of
code layers.
Is there any specific webbased solution you'd recommend on https ?

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Joachim Schipper-2
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:27:04PM +0200, Matt wrote:

> Quite possibly more of a 'which software' question:
>
> I am looking for a way to have two parties share documents securely
> through an OpenBSD server.
> User A can not look into directory B but is allowed in dir C, that
> sort of thing. Sharing occurs through untrusted / changing networks.
>
> Obviously a simple SFTP structure seems to cut it, but would require
> all users (different platforms) to install sftp clients.
> Is there anything else (preferably in ports) that could do this
> better / prettier ?

SFTP is a really good idea, and supported by most graphical "FTP"
clients. An FTP server will also work, but FTP-over-SSL is not quite
universally supported.

Otherwise, a simple website should work? I'm sure someone's written
software for that (if all else fails, I'm pretty certain that Horde
includes such functionality, but it's massively overkill.)

If you're willing to drop the "through an OpenBSD server" part, I've
heard very good things about Dropbox. (Note that there is no native
OpenBSD client; but the web interface should work, though.)

                Joachim

TFMotD: Net::NNTP (3p) - NNTP Client class

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Jiri B.
what's up with vpn and samba?

jirib

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Bret S. Lambert-2
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 02:19:07PM +0200, Jiri B. wrote:
> what's up with vpn and samba?

And what's the deal with airline food?!

</seinfeld>

> jirib

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

ropers
On 17 August 2010 13:48, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Any reason why you can't just use https and webserver?
>
> No, not really, apart from the overhead / possible security problems of code
> layers.
> Is there any specific webbased solution you'd recommend on https ?

Are you aware of WebDAV?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV

Packages for a bunch of clients and servers are available, including
Apache mod_dav @
OpenBSD/4.7/packages/i386/mod_dav-1.0.3p8.tgz

  NB: Whatever happened to the web pages describing individual packages?
  They used to exist up to 4.6 at e.g.
    http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386/mod_dav-1.0.3p7.tgz-long.html
  and I at least found them helpful.

Some web browsers work as WebDAV clients as well (it's basically the
same HTTP protocol, just with defined methods). WebDAV also works
pretty much out of the box in Windows (there called "Web Folders") and
OS X. Wikipedia says that on Windows and OS X at least, WebDAV can be
used with HTTPS (as opposed to plain HTTP), and one suspects that
WebDAV/HTTPS is also possible with free solutions.

However, I dimly recall recommending WebDAV before on this list,
whereupon some of the wiser and smarter list member then pointed out
some limitations WebDAV has. But I don't really remember the details
and cursory googling revealed nothing.

regards,
--ropers

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Lars Nooden-2
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Matt wrote:

> Quite possibly more of a 'which software' question:
> I am looking for a way to have two parties share documents securely through
> an OpenBSD server.
> User A can not look into directory B but is allowed in dir C, that sort of
> thing. Sharing occurs through untrusted / changing networks.
>
> Obviously a simple SFTP structure seems to cut it,

SFTP with chroot and using keys is by far the easiest way to achieve
that.

> but would require all users (different platforms) to install sftp
> clients.

I hope that is a misunderstanding.

Text-based clients are provided by default in all distros likely to be
used on the desktop, with the exception of one...

Also, a growing number of file managers (such as Konqueror) already
included SFTP support and all that is necessary is to punch in a URL.

If you mean extra, graphical SFTP clients, there are many others to choose
from besides the file managers.  Filezilla is popular in some
demographics, same for CyberDuck and Fugu.

Others have mentiond WebDAV, which is useful but harder to set up and
maintain accounts.  Same for Samba, which is in ports.

OpenAFS/Arla is yet another option, but is overkill for small,
centralized groups.

/Lars

On 2010-08-17, Joachim Schipper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Otherwise, a simple website should work? I'm sure someone's written
> software for that

pkg_add mollify

Re: [OT] securely sharing documents on OpenBSD?

Martin Pelikan
2010/8/17, Jiri B. <[hidden email]>:
> what's up with vpn and samba?

who goes around, comes around...