OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

James Hartley
I have a few 440MHz Ultra 10's which have batteries which have finally worn
out as that they no longer boot.  I have battery replacements, but they are
of the same age as the originals, so their lifetimes can't be expected to
be extensive.

So I'm asking this list.  What are you doing to prolong the life on these
vintage machines?  Yeah, they're slow & perhaps power-hungry compared to
present-day amd64 machines, but I would like to think that there is still
usage left -- especially for nominal PostgreSQL use.

Any insights/experience shared would be appreciated.

Re: OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

Paolo Aglialoro
I know about some people who have soldered new batteries to the worn out
ones, there are tutorials on the internet :)
Some time ago also people on openindiana mailing list discussed about this

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM, James Hartley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a few 440MHz Ultra 10's which have batteries which have finally worn
> out as that they no longer boot.  I have battery replacements, but they are
> of the same age as the originals, so their lifetimes can't be expected to
> be extensive.
>
> So I'm asking this list.  What are you doing to prolong the life on these
> vintage machines?  Yeah, they're slow & perhaps power-hungry compared to
> present-day amd64 machines, but I would like to think that there is still
> usage left -- especially for nominal PostgreSQL use.
>
> Any insights/experience shared would be appreciated.

Re: OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

Nick Holland
On 03/30/14 18:34, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:
> I know about some people who have soldered new batteries to the worn out
> ones, there are tutorials on the internet :)
> Some time ago also people on openindiana mailing list discussed about this

yeah, that process does work.  It can also be done on other machines
that use similar chips -- did that to an mvme88k system.

Before I toss most P-II or newer systems, I usually pull the battery
holder out of the board, and use that and a "5 for $1" lithium cell I
pick up from our local Chinese importers...ugly, but works.

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM, James Hartley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a few 440MHz Ultra 10's which have batteries which have finally worn
>> out as that they no longer boot.  I have battery replacements, but they are
>> of the same age as the originals, so their lifetimes can't be expected to
>> be extensive.

yeah...just discovered all my U1s and most of my U2s sitting on the
shelf have had their batteries fail recently ... that's on top of all
the Sparc machines which failed long ago.

>> So I'm asking this list.  What are you doing to prolong the life on these
>> vintage machines?  Yeah, they're slow & perhaps power-hungry compared to
>> present-day amd64 machines, but I would like to think that there is still
>> usage left -- especially for nominal PostgreSQL use.
>>
>> Any insights/experience shared would be appreciated.

well...if the machine is powered on, the battery doesn't seem to be
used.  If you have a stock of replacements, I'd consider getting some IC
sockets and a five volt power pack (i.e., old cell phone charger) and
keep the modules all powered up, as opposed to running on their battery.

Re: OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

T. Ribbrock
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:34:37AM +0200, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:
> I know about some people who have soldered new batteries to the worn out
> ones, there are tutorials on the internet :)

Yup, I'm one of them - done so for several of my machines so far (U2,
U10, IPX), more to follow once I find the time. I've based my own DIY on
this particular tutorial http://www.giga.nl/gigawa.lt/Sun_NVRAM.html,
but there are others. My first attempt looks like this:
http://www.ribbrock.org/PhotoGallery/NVRAM-AXi - later, I used different
holders for the CR2032 cell which I can glue onto the back of the NVRAM
- makes it even neater.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                 Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org/

Re: OT: battery replacements for Ultra 10's?

Kurt Mosiejczuk-5
On 3/31/2014 11:42 AM, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:34:37AM +0200, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:
>> I know about some people who have soldered new batteries to the worn out
>> ones, there are tutorials on the internet :)

> Yup, I'm one of them - done so for several of my machines so far (U2,
> U10, IPX), more to follow once I find the time. I've based my own DIY on
> this particular tutorial http://www.giga.nl/gigawa.lt/Sun_NVRAM.html,
> but there are others. My first attempt looks like this:
> http://www.ribbrock.org/PhotoGallery/NVRAM-AXi - later, I used different
> holders for the CR2032 cell which I can glue onto the back of the NVRAM
> - makes it even neater.

I actually found recently that some of the replacement NVRAM chips that
are still made are actually pin compatible with the old Sun ones.

And the warning the old NVRAM FAQ had about them not working properly
because of a reserved bit change didn't seem to apply any more.  At
least not to the Ultra machines I put a new chip into.

I want to say I used a 1521 or 1641, but I'd have to look up the exact
numbers.

--Kurt