OT: Yandex - was Re: Why is ftp option removed from installer?

OT: Yandex - was Re: Why is ftp option removed from installer?

ropers
On 8 May 2018 at 19:12, Leonid Bobrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> but in my country (Ukraine) Yandex is blocked,
> but my ISP didn't block ftp://mirror.yandex.ru

OT, but America also seems to mess with Yandex in weird ways, whereby at
least some American users get Yandex.ru redirected to Yandex.ua, which very
much looks like politically-motivated American sabotage of a major Russian
digital enterprise.

Anybody else see this too? Are there any Americans (by IP-geolocation) who
DON'T see this?

Apologies for the noise, but curiosity could not be contained.

Re: OT: Yandex - was Re: Why is ftp option removed from installer?

Patrick Dohman-4
Their mirror appears to resolve correctly here in St Paul MN USA.
Incidentally why are there no African mirrors aka Kenya etc?
Regards
Patrick

> On May 8, 2018, at 2:27 PM, ropers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 8 May 2018 at 19:12, Leonid Bobrov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> but in my country (Ukraine) Yandex is blocked,
>> but my ISP didn't block ftp://mirror.yandex.ru
>

> OT, but America also seems to mess with Yandex in weird ways, whereby at
> least some American users get Yandex.ru redirected to Yandex.ua, which very
> much looks like politically-motivated American sabotage of a major Russian
> digital enterprise.
>
> Anybody else see this too? Are there any Americans (by IP-geolocation) who
> DON'T see this?
>
> Apologies for the noise, but curiosity could not be contained.

Re: OT: Yandex - was Re: Why is ftp option removed from installer?

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-05-10, Patrick Dohman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Incidentally why are there no African mirrors aka Kenya etc?

Nobody has offered one; a significant amount of traffic would be used
just keeping it up to date with snapshots, so it would only make sense
for someone with a bunch of spare already-paid-for network capacity
really. For releases, it's likely that at least one of the CDNs will
do nicely, they're not so good for snapshots though.

Re: OT: Yandex - was Re: Why is ftp option removed from installer?

Wayne Oliver
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> On 2018-05-10, Patrick Dohman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Incidentally why are there no African mirrors aka Kenya etc?
> Nobody has offered one; a significant amount of traffic would be used
> just keeping it up to date with snapshots, so it would only make
> sense for someone with a bunch of spare already-paid-for network
> capacity really. For releases, it's likely that at least one of the
> CDNs will do nicely, they're not so good for snapshots though.

Actually there is a South African mirror that I use, although not
official.

http://openbsd.mirror.ac.za/
ftp://openbsd.mirror.ac.za/

Just FYI