OPenBSD 6.7 as a Q35 KVM guest

Carlos Lopez
Hi all,

 I just set up an OpenBSD 6.7 kvm guest on an RHEL8.2 server and selected q35 instead of pc as a machine type. Everything seems to be working fine, except for the network interfaces (virtio interfaces). They don't work.

 On the other hand, if I modify q35 by pc, everything works correctly. Do I have to change any parameter or option in OpenBSD to use q35 as a machine type, or is it simply not supported?

Regards,
C. L. Martinez

Re: OPenBSD 6.7 as a Q35 KVM guest

Ottavio Caruso
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 08:34, Carlos Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I just set up an OpenBSD 6.7 kvm guest on an RHEL8.2 server and selected q35 instead of pc as a machine type. Everything seems to be working fine, except for the network interfaces (virtio interfaces). They don't work.
>
>  On the other hand, if I modify q35 by pc, everything works correctly. Do I have to change any parameter or option in OpenBSD to use q35 as a machine type, or is it simply not supported?

This is probably a question for the qemu-discuss mailing list. How
were you able to install OpenBSD if the interfaces were not working?
Any relevant bits in dmesg? Output of ifconfig? I haven't tried 6.7
yet, but I can boot 6.6 fine with:

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-drive if=virtio,file=/home/oc/VM/img/openbsd.image,index=0,media=disk \
-M q35,accel=kvm -m 250M -cpu host -smp $(nproc) \
-nic user,model=virtio-net-pci

--
Ottavio Caruso