ODROID C1

Lampshade
Hello
I haven't know that Raspberry requires non-free blob to even boot. So maybe I am going to buy something different. Now I think of ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel. It also have price of $35. On page:
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
is not listed in Unsuitable section like Raspberry Pi. It has four ARM Cortex-A5 (ARMv7) cores and 1 GB of RAM. It has 1Gbit/s Ethernet port and doesn't consume much power. So what are you thinking about it?
1. Does it require non-free blob to boot or communicate using Ethernet? I don't care about GPU.
2. Does it is solid? Or it will be damaged after few weeks of using as server? I know, this is cheap board but I want board which will last for one year at least.
3. Can I expect that OpenBSD will run on it now or in future?

Re: ODROID C1

Adam Van Ymeren
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Lampshade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
> I haven't know that Raspberry requires non-free blob to even boot. So maybe I am going to buy something different. Now I think of ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel. It also have price of $35. On page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
> is not listed in Unsuitable section like Raspberry Pi. It has four ARM Cortex-A5 (ARMv7) cores and 1 GB of RAM. It has 1Gbit/s Ethernet port and doesn't consume much power. So what are you thinking about it?
> 1. Does it require non-free blob to boot or communicate using Ethernet? I don't care about GPU.
> 2. Does it is solid? Or it will be damaged after few weeks of using as server? I know, this is cheap board but I want board which will last for one year at least.
> 3. Can I expect that OpenBSD will run on it now or in future?

What about the BeagleBone Black?  I believe an OpenBSD port has
already been started, I'm fairly certain it doesn't require non-free
blobs to boot, just for the GPU.

Re: ODROID C1

Patrick Wildt-2

> Am 03.02.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Lampshade <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello
> I haven't know that Raspberry requires non-free blob to even boot. So maybe I am going to buy something different. Now I think of ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel. It also have price of $35. On page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
> is not listed in Unsuitable section like Raspberry Pi. It has four ARM Cortex-A5 (ARMv7) cores and 1 GB of RAM. It has 1Gbit/s Ethernet port and doesn't consume much power. So what are you thinking about it?
> 1. Does it require non-free blob to boot or communicate using Ethernet? I don't care about GPU.
> 2. Does it is solid? Or it will be damaged after few weeks of using as server? I know, this is cheap board but I want board which will last for one year at least.
> 3. Can I expect that OpenBSD will run on it now or in future?

1. Probably not. So far I have not seen any other current ARM device that needs blobs as extensively as the Broadcom/raspberryPi.
2. Probably. Why should it break?
3. Probably not. It’s a Amlogic SoC which I have not seen in any other board than the ODROID-C1. It’s a rather uncommon SoC. As long as no one is paid to develop for that, I don’t see anyone being interested in it. The common reply will be to „just get a BeagleBone Black“.

As far as I know the BBB is the best supported board at OpenBSD. So, even if it’s slow as hell, that’s the best choice there is to have something similar to a raspberryPi.

The Cubieboard 2 might be a bit more expensive than the ODROID-C1, but that one is partly supported by OpenBSD, too, iirc.

Re: ODROID C1

Edwin Amsler
The Cubieboard works after a lot of effort, but the BBB is far less hassle. I own both and the Beagle Bone Black just works. Highly recommended.

--
Edwin (on the move)

> On Feb 3, 2015, at 6:00 PM, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 03.02.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Lampshade <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hello
>> I haven't know that Raspberry requires non-free blob to even boot. So maybe I am going to buy something different. Now I think of ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel. It also have price of $35. On page:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware
>> is not listed in Unsuitable section like Raspberry Pi. It has four ARM Cortex-A5 (ARMv7) cores and 1 GB of RAM. It has 1Gbit/s Ethernet port and doesn't consume much power. So what are you thinking about it?
>> 1. Does it require non-free blob to boot or communicate using Ethernet? I don't care about GPU.
>> 2. Does it is solid? Or it will be damaged after few weeks of using as server? I know, this is cheap board but I want board which will last for one year at least.
>> 3. Can I expect that OpenBSD will run on it now or in future?
>
> 1. Probably not. So far I have not seen any other current ARM device that needs blobs as extensively as the Broadcom/raspberryPi.
> 2. Probably. Why should it break?
> 3. Probably not. It’s a Amlogic SoC which I have not seen in any other board than the ODROID-C1. It’s a rather uncommon SoC. As long as no one is paid to develop for that, I don’t see anyone being interested in it. The common reply will be to „just get a BeagleBone Black“.
>
> As far as I know the BBB is the best supported board at OpenBSD. So, even if it’s slow as hell, that’s the best choice there is to have something similar to a raspberryPi.
>
> The Cubieboard 2 might be a bit more expensive than the ODROID-C1, but that one is partly supported by OpenBSD, too, iirc.

Re: ODROID C1

L.R. D.S.
>I'm fairly certain it doesn't require non-free
>blobs to boot, just for the GPU.

OpenBSD Project doesn't have some problems with Texas Instrument?
Why it's the best supported?
Anyway, BBB require the load of a Masked ROM on pre-boot. This ROM have
a closed source software. The PowerVR and the dedicated MPEG decoder is
evil too.
The OpenBSD port to ARM have aperture driver permission set
or others ways to disable gpu/mpeg-dec, like Cedar A/V and Vivante?

Re: ODROID C1

Matthieu Herrb-7
On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 06:33:55AM +0000, L.R. d S. wrote:

> >I'm fairly certain it doesn't require non-free
> >blobs to boot, just for the GPU.
>
> OpenBSD Project doesn't have some problems with Texas Instrument?
> Why it's the best supported?
> Anyway, BBB require the load of a Masked ROM on pre-boot. This ROM have
> a closed source software. The PowerVR and the dedicated MPEG decoder is
> evil too.
> The OpenBSD port to ARM have aperture driver permission set
> or others ways to disable gpu/mpeg-dec, like Cedar A/V and Vivante?

There is no graphics support of any kind on the armv7 port currently.

Matthieu Herrb

Re: ODROID C1

Lampshade
> I habe a BBB. I played with obenbsd 5.5 on it. It is fun, but I can not
> recommend it as a server. I don't know what you mean by server,
> but for me it's too slow (with openbsd on it). I used Debian for
> a short time on the BBB. It runs faster than openbsd,
> but I don't want to use Debian for my home 'production'
> network.
> Finally I thought of using it as a openbsd music jukebox but with
> audio over HDMI, that's not possible at the
> moment. I will go for a apu1d4 or similar when it's time for
> new home server hardware.
> Jan

I think of email server and jabber/xmpp for me. I also thinked about
VPn for me but I don't know if it is good enough to serve in that manner.
I would also from time to time want to use it as a microcontroller
for electronics purposes (of course it will not runt severs at that time).
I don't know if OpenBSD supports that but if not I will install Debian for
that purposes (serving as microcontroller).

Re: ODROID C1

Diana Eichert
I have two Pandaboard ES and they work fine also.

Re: ODROID C1

Lampshade
Unfortunately Pandaboard ES is really expensive in Poland.
I asked about close source binary blobs in Odroid C1 on official forum:
forum.o droid.c om/viewtopic .php?f=115&t=9147
and got answer:
There are binary blobs for the GPU (Mali) and the VPU(video/audio codec). You can boot and use an Odroid-C1 (even with display output / X11) without any binary blobs. The limitations are lack of OpenGL-ES and lack of video/audio codec hardware acceleration.

[Edit]
U-Boot is the boot loader (open source, no signing required)
Linux Kernel has all open source drivers (on HardKernel GitHub)

Re: ODROID C1

tixx

Re: ODROID C1

Lampshade
>The first stage bootloader is also binary only.
>http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_building_u-boot (part
>installation)
>https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/tree/odroidc-v2011.03/sd_fuse

Of course I would like to have 100% open source board, but my
intuition tells my that 33 KB of closed source bootloader is not
so huge, but I would rather listen to experts.

Re: ODROID C1

Lampshade
To close the topic of closed source code needed to boot C1 board: