OBSD 5.8 and console

Alessandro Baggi
Hi list,
I've an APU1D where I want install OpenBSD 5.8 amd64. The only option
that I have is install from console.

I've downloaded install58.fs and modified /etc/boot.conf adding:
set tty com0
(saved)

During boot it recognizes obsd install media then print this message:
switching to com0

after this I can't receive any output from terminal console (in my case
screen from linux) and don't know what happen.

Thanks in advance.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

Alexander Salmin
I have a similar setup. Kill your screen, and connect again, usually
works for me.

> set tty com0

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

Alessandro Baggi
Il 22/11/2015 17:22, Alexander Salmin ha scritto:
> I have a similar setup. Kill your screen, and connect again, usually
> works for me.
>
> On 2015-11-22 17:13, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> set tty com0

Thanks alexander,
problem not solved, after restarting session I don't have output.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

Alessandro Baggi
Thanks Jan,
I'm connecting with baud 115200, tried the default and works.

Sorry for my distraction.

Il 22/11/2015 17:32, Jan Vlach ha scritto:

> Hi Alessandro,
>
> what's the baud rate of the APU?  (in APU bios ...)
>
> man boot.conf says, that openbsd's default is 9600.  (look for stty)
>
> I did some ALIX installs in the past, I vaguely remember that I had to change this from 115200 to 9600 in the ALIX BIOS ...
>
> Jan
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 05:13:23PM +0100, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I've an APU1D where I want install OpenBSD 5.8 amd64. The only option that I
>> have is install from console.
>>
>> I've downloaded install58.fs and modified /etc/boot.conf adding:
>> set tty com0
>> (saved)
>>
>> During boot it recognizes obsd install media then print this message:
>> switching to com0
>>
>> after this I can't receive any output from terminal console (in my case
>> screen from linux) and don't know what happen.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

Mike Bregg
On 2015-11-22 09:13, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Hi list,
> I've an APU1D where I want install OpenBSD 5.8 amd64. The only option
> that I have is install from console.
>
> I've downloaded install58.fs and modified /etc/boot.conf adding:
> set tty com0
> (saved)
>
> During boot it recognizes obsd install media then print this message:
> switching to com0
>
> after this I can't receive any output from terminal console (in my
> case screen from linux) and don't know what happen.

> Thanks in advance.

The default baud rate for your APU is probably 115200bps.  OpenBSD will
be set to 9600.  You can either change the baud rate to 115200 in
boot.conf (stty com0 115200), or connect your screen session at 9600bps.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

Alessandro Baggi
Il 22/11/2015 17:44, Mike Bregg ha scritto:

> On 2015-11-22 09:13, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I've an APU1D where I want install OpenBSD 5.8 amd64. The only option
>> that I have is install from console.
>>
>> I've downloaded install58.fs and modified /etc/boot.conf adding:
>> set tty com0
>> (saved)
>>
>> During boot it recognizes obsd install media then print this message:
>> switching to com0
>>
>> after this I can't receive any output from terminal console (in my
>> case screen from linux) and don't know what happen.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> The default baud rate for your APU is probably 115200bps.  OpenBSD will
> be set to 9600.  You can either change the baud rate to 115200 in
> boot.conf (stty com0 115200), or connect your screen session at 9600bps.

Yes, my APU is 115200bps. Installation performed at 9600. Administration
setted to 115200.

Thanks for support.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

trondd-2
On Sun, November 22, 2015 11:13 am, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Hi list,
> I've an APU1D where I want install OpenBSD 5.8 amd64. The only option
> that I have is install from console.
>
> I've downloaded install58.fs and modified /etc/boot.conf adding:
> set tty com0
> (saved)
>
> During boot it recognizes obsd install media then print this message:
> switching to com0
>
> after this I can't receive any output from terminal console (in my case
> screen from linux) and don't know what happen.

You set com0, but not the speed.  If I recall, the APU defaults to 115200
while it boots, then OBSD defaults to 9600 on com0 if you dont' tell it
otherwise.  Disconnect and reconnect at 9600, or add the speed to
boot.conf.

Tim.

Re: OBSD 5.8 and console

On 2015-11-22, Mike Bregg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The default baud rate for your APU is probably 115200bps.  OpenBSD will
> be set to 9600.  You can either change the baud rate to 115200 in
> boot.conf (stty com0 115200), or connect your screen session at 9600bps.

Or change the APU BIOS speed to 9600.