OBPkg

Steffen Wendzel
Hi,

I would like to propose to add my project called 'OBPkg' the ports
tree. OBPkg is s gtk2+ based port+package manager for openbsd.

I uploaded the current version + port here:

http://files.doomed-reality.org/Projects/obpkg/

steffen

--
cdp.doomed-reality.org

Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.
                                                  -- Einstein

Re: OBPkg

Tobias Ulmer
On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:41:48PM +0000, Steffen Wendzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose to add my project called 'OBPkg' the ports
> tree. OBPkg is s gtk2+ based port+package manager for openbsd.
>

> I uploaded the current version + port here:
>
> http://files.doomed-reality.org/Projects/obpkg/
>

> steffen
>

> --
> cdp.doomed-reality.org
>
> Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.
>                                                   -- Einstein

Hi Steffen,

i just had a look at your port. The biggest problem i see is the install
routine. You can't just copy files to /etc or create directories this
way. Think about what happens if someone makes a package and transfers
it to another maschine?! No config file...broken package, broken
buildmachine... (And systrace will get mad at you)
The same problem applies to the Makefile in your software.

There are other small problems with the port. PKGNAME and FLAVOURS is
not needed, the WANTLIB construct is a bit strange and you license all
your files under a BSD license, but put a comment into the Makefile that
it is GPL

Overall, I think you should first finish coding and clean up the source
a bit and remove all those static paths that are in the Makefile so that
it respects PREFIX.
Since you write software especially for OpenBSD, maybe risk a look into
style(9).
Another suggestion is to replace the perl script with the standard
OpenBSD ftp client.
Remove the german comments ;)

Tobias

ps: I know this feeling, you have written something you really like and
you want to release it as fast as possible ;) But as a opensource
developer you also need to do QA and stuff... If you need help, you can
contact me off-list (in german if you like)