Novice compile question

Didier Wiroth
Hello,
(I'm a compile novice)
I've recently purchased an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core manchester cpu.

I was planning to build a fast openbsd "build" machine with this cpu.

1) Will I be able (while running the 64bit kernel & binaries!!!) to
cross compile and build a release for the i386 32bit architecture on
this machine?
2) Are there drawbacks when cross compiling and should you avoid it if
possible?
3) Where can I find some doc about cross compiling on Openbsd?

Thank you very much
Didier

Re: Novice compile question

Damien Miller
Didier Wiroth wrote:
> Hello,
> (I'm a compile novice)

Then you shouldn't be cross-compiling. In fact, cross-compiling isn't
supported on OpenBSD for end-users at all. Check the archive to see
reams of discussion on this.

If you want your fast amd64 machine to make i386 snapshots, then
consider maintaining an i386 installation on a secondary disk and
booting to that to make your i386 builds.

-d