Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

Dave Anderson-4
A year or so ago, as part of selecting a notebook to buy, I gathered
dmesg info from all of the notebooks I could find in local stores
(booting from and saving data to a USB stick) and sent it to
[hidden email] as well as using it myself.  Since I expect that it
would be useful to the developers to have this info for the current crop
of notebooks, I plan to do another data-gathering session sometime in
the next few weeks.  I'll be using an amd64 snapshot and, as FAQ 4.10
requests, will gather both 'dmesg' and 'sysctl hw.sensors' output using
both the sp and mp kernels for each system.

Since the data collection will be scripted it will be easy to also
gather other information; pcidump, usbdevs and acpidump come to mind.
What would be useful for the developers?  I've got a store which has
several dozen demo notebooks and will let me gather data from them, but
there won't be an opportunity to go back -- I need to get all of the
useful info at once.

So, my questions to the developers:

1) Does it matter which amd64 snapshot I use?  Are there any recent or
forthcoming ones which are especially good or bad for this purpose?

2) What additional information should I collect?  Exact commands and
options, please.  I don't mind installing tools which aren't in base,
but the output needs to go to, or be able to be redirected to, a file.

3) Other than the dmesg/sensor info which will go to [hidden email],
where should I send the additional info?  If there's no suitable place,
I can just keep it around and let anyone who needs it ask me for it.

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

Brett Mahar-2
> 3) Other than the dmesg/sensor info which will go to [hidden email],
> where should I send the additional info?  If there's no suitable place,
> I can just keep it around and let anyone who needs it ask me for it.
>
> Dave
>


http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&add=1

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

Dave Anderson-4
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012, Brett wrote:

>> 3) Other than the dmesg/sensor info which will go to [hidden email],
>> where should I send the additional info?  If there's no suitable place,
>> I can just keep it around and let anyone who needs it ask me for it.
>
>http://www.nycbug.org/?action=dmesgd&add=1

Yes, I know about that site and intend to post the dmesg info there too
(as I did last year).  But my question was about what to do with any
non-dmesg info I capture (whatever the developers tell me might be
useful, perhaps acpidump, usbdevs, pcidump, ...).

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

Dave Anderson-4
In reply to this post by Dave Anderson-4
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, Dave Anderson wrote:

If there's no interest in this info, I won't burn an afternoon
collecting it.  If there is interest, answers to my questions would be
useful.

        Dave

>A year or so ago, as part of selecting a notebook to buy, I gathered
>dmesg info from all of the notebooks I could find in local stores
>(booting from and saving data to a USB stick) and sent it to
>[hidden email] as well as using it myself.  Since I expect that it
>would be useful to the developers to have this info for the current crop
>of notebooks, I plan to do another data-gathering session sometime in
>the next few weeks.  I'll be using an amd64 snapshot and, as FAQ 4.10
>requests, will gather both 'dmesg' and 'sysctl hw.sensors' output using
>both the sp and mp kernels for each system.
>
>Since the data collection will be scripted it will be easy to also
>gather other information; pcidump, usbdevs and acpidump come to mind.
>What would be useful for the developers?  I've got a store which has
>several dozen demo notebooks and will let me gather data from them, but
>there won't be an opportunity to go back -- I need to get all of the
>useful info at once.
>
>So, my questions to the developers:
>
>1) Does it matter which amd64 snapshot I use?  Are there any recent or
>forthcoming ones which are especially good or bad for this purpose?
>
>2) What additional information should I collect?  Exact commands and
>options, please.  I don't mind installing tools which aren't in base,
>but the output needs to go to, or be able to be redirected to, a file.
>
>3) Other than the dmesg/sensor info which will go to [hidden email],
>where should I send the additional info?  If there's no suitable place,
>I can just keep it around and let anyone who needs it ask me for it.
>
> Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<[hidden email]>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Notebook dmesg gathering. Developers, what info do you want?

Ted Unangst-6
In reply to this post by Dave Anderson-4
On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 17:46, Dave Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, Dave Anderson wrote:
>
> If there's no interest in this info, I won't burn an afternoon
> collecting it.  If there is interest, answers to my questions would be
> useful.

It's probably not that useful.  In the event the hardware doesn't
work, you're not in a position to test fixes.  Unless you were
planning on buying a sample for a developer. :)

The dmesg collection is interesting because it reveals what hardware
people are using.  Filling it up with examples of hardware that people
are not using is less interesting.

Perhaps just run the tests, see which machines fail to boot or don't
have any disks or network detected, and write an email to misc so
people know not to buy that hardware.