Not able to boot from softraid :(

kasak
Hello everybody.

I'm trying to install OpenBSD 6.3 on softraid.

My configuration is simple:

Asus z170-k motherboard, with i7-6700 cpu, and 16 gb ram. no external
vga or other cards, just this.

I have 2 similar 750 gb disks.

I have succesfully booted bsd.rd in uefi mode, then with shell i did:

cd /dev

sh MAKEDEV sd1 sd2

fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd0

fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd1

then with disklabel -E sd0 i created layout with one RAID type partition.

then cloned this layout to second drive.

After that i have created

bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0

sd2 was created successfully.

i than type "exit" and installed openbsd on sd2 disk, using gpt.

The installed system boots, but the last line i see is:

wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0

that's all. my keyboard not working and boot process stops.

I have tried to boot without inteldrm but nothing changed except
resolution.

Is there i done something wrong?

Re: Not able to boot from softraid :(

Indunil Jayasooriya
This may help you.

http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/raid

--
cat /etc/motd

Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya
http://www.theravadanet.net/

24.07.2018 10:32, Indunil Jayasooriya пишет:

> This may help you.
>
> http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/raid
>

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM, kasak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I'm trying to install OpenBSD 6.3 on softraid.
>>
>> My configuration is simple:
>>
>> Asus z170-k motherboard, with i7-6700 cpu, and 16 gb ram. no external vga
>> or other cards, just this.
>>
>> I have 2 similar 750 gb disks.
>>
>> I have succesfully booted bsd.rd in uefi mode, then with shell i did:
>>
>> cd /dev
>>
>> sh MAKEDEV sd1 sd2
>>
>> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd0
>>
>> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd1
>>
>> then with disklabel -E sd0 i created layout with one RAID type partition.
>>
>> then cloned this layout to second drive.
>>
>> After that i have created
>>
>> bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0
>>
>> sd2 was created successfully.
>>
>> i than type "exit" and installed openbsd on sd2 disk, using gpt.
>>
>> The installed system boots, but the last line i see is:
>>
>> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
>>
>> that's all. my keyboard not working and boot process stops.
>>
>> I have tried to boot without inteldrm but nothing changed except
>> resolution.
>>
>> Is there i done something wrong?

Nope, this manual explain how to install with MBR, and my install use
UEFI boot.
I have followed native documentation:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraid

24.07.2018 10:24, kasak пишет:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm trying to install OpenBSD 6.3 on softraid.
>
> My configuration is simple:
>
> Asus z170-k motherboard, with i7-6700 cpu, and 16 gb ram. no external
> vga or other cards, just this.
>
> I have 2 similar 750 gb disks.
>
> I have succesfully booted bsd.rd in uefi mode, then with shell i did:
>
> cd /dev
>
> sh MAKEDEV sd1 sd2
>
> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd0
>
> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd1
>
> then with disklabel -E sd0 i created layout with one RAID type partition.
>
> then cloned this layout to second drive.
>
> After that i have created
>
> bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0
>
> sd2 was created successfully.
>
> i than type "exit" and installed openbsd on sd2 disk, using gpt.
>
> The installed system boots, but the last line i see is:
>
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
>
> that's all. my keyboard not working and boot process stops.
>
> I have tried to boot without inteldrm but nothing changed except
> resolution.
>
> Is there i done something wrong?

I have tried to install in CSM mode, with mbr partition table and get
the same result, so looks like it is not uefi problem

Re: Not able to boot from softraid :(

Otto Moerbeek
On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 02:07:15PM +0300, kasak wrote:

> 24.07.2018 10:24, kasak пишет:
> > Hello everybody.
> >
> > I'm trying to install OpenBSD 6.3 on softraid.
> >
> > My configuration is simple:
> >
> > Asus z170-k motherboard, with i7-6700 cpu, and 16 gb ram. no external
> > vga or other cards, just this.
> >
> > I have 2 similar 750 gb disks.
> >
> > I have succesfully booted bsd.rd in uefi mode, then with shell i did:
> >
> > cd /dev
> >
> > sh MAKEDEV sd1 sd2
> >
> > fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd0
> >
> > fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd1
> >
> > then with disklabel -E sd0 i created layout with one RAID type partition.
> >
> > then cloned this layout to second drive.
> >
> > After that i have created
> >
> > bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0
> >
> > sd2 was created successfully.
> >
> > i than type "exit" and installed openbsd on sd2 disk, using gpt.
> >
> > The installed system boots, but the last line i see is:
> >
> > wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> >
> > that's all. my keyboard not working and boot process stops.
> >
> > I have tried to boot without inteldrm but nothing changed except
> > resolution.
> >
> > Is there i done something wrong?
> >

> I have tried to install in CSM mode, with mbr partition table and get the
> same result, so looks like it is not uefi problem

What makes you think it is softraid related? Did you try a single sd
disk install as a test?

        -Otto

24.07.2018 14:18, Otto Moerbeek пишет:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 02:07:15PM +0300, kasak wrote:
>

>> 24.07.2018 10:24, kasak пишет:
>>> Hello everybody.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install OpenBSD 6.3 on softraid.
>>>
>>> My configuration is simple:
>>>
>>> Asus z170-k motherboard, with i7-6700 cpu, and 16 gb ram. no external
>>> vga or other cards, just this.
>>>
>>> I have 2 similar 750 gb disks.
>>>
>>> I have succesfully booted bsd.rd in uefi mode, then with shell i did:
>>>
>>> cd /dev
>>>
>>> sh MAKEDEV sd1 sd2
>>>
>>> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd0
>>>
>>> fdisk -iy -g -b 960 sd1
>>>
>>> then with disklabel -E sd0 i created layout with one RAID type partition.
>>>
>>> then cloned this layout to second drive.
>>>
>>> After that i have created
>>>
>>> bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0
>>>
>>> sd2 was created successfully.
>>>
>>> i than type "exit" and installed openbsd on sd2 disk, using gpt.
>>>
>>> The installed system boots, but the last line i see is:
>>>
>>> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
>>>
>>> that's all. my keyboard not working and boot process stops.
>>>
>>> I have tried to boot without inteldrm but nothing changed except
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> Is there i done something wrong?
>>>
>> I have tried to install in CSM mode, with mbr partition table and get the
>> same result, so looks like it is not uefi problem
> What makes you think it is softraid related? Did you try a single sd
> disk install as a test?
>
> -Otto

You were right! I just tried to install on single disk and the result is
the same!

24.07.2018 14:30, kasak пишет:

> 24.07.2018 14:18, Otto Moerbeek пишет:

>>> I have tried to install in CSM mode, with mbr partition table and
>>> get the
>>> same result, so looks like it is not uefi problem
>> What makes you think it is softraid related? Did you try a single sd
>> disk install as a test?
>>
>>     -Otto
>>
> You were right! I just tried to install on single disk and the result
> is the same!

i've tried to boot in verbose mode and it looks like that system hang
when probing for pcppi0.

Time for a full bug report, see http://www.openbsd.org/report.html

        -Otto

24.07.2018 15:58, Zé Loff пишет:

> This is a more or less well known issue.  At the bootloader prompt issue
> boot -c and then
>
>    UKC> disable pcppi
>    UKC> exit
>
> And it'll (hopefully) boot properly.  I have the same problem with an
> ASUS H270-PRO mainboard + Intel i7-7700K
>

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 03:13:10PM +0300, kasak wrote:

>>> You were right! I just tried to install on single disk and the result is
>>> the same!
>>>
>> i've tried to boot in verbose mode and it looks like that system hang when
>> probing for pcppi0.

Yep, it works!