Newbie question

What you get is Not what you see
Hi
Sorry my perhaps trivial question.
I have searched the net a lot and cant resolve my issue.
I use Openbsd 4.1 and the default wm fvwm.
I want to do these things
1-To start a program (namely rdesktop with some parameters) when a
user logins to x.
2-Alternatively, add a menu item to fvwm menu which launches rdesktop program.
I have tried locating some .fvwm2rc/config  files in different places
but they seemed
to affect nothing.
Could you help me?
For being simple and ligth i dont want to install  any X related
program(namely other
wms or other gui programs).

Re: Newbie question

Stuart Henderson
On 2008/02/22 10:33, What you get is Not what you see wrote:
> 1-To start a program (namely rdesktop with some parameters) when a
> user logins to x.

If you use xdm, $HOME/.xsession per-user or /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
for everyone (hmm, might be somewhere else in 4.1, use locate Xsession).
See xdm(1).

If you use startx, it's xinitrc/.xinitrc, see startx(1).

> 2-Alternatively, add a menu item to fvwm menu which launches rdesktop program.
> I have tried locating some .fvwm2rc/config  files in different places
> but they seemed
> to affect nothing.

See INITIALIZATION in fvwm(1) for the locations it searches.
If you tried these then tell more about what you did.

Re: Newbie question

Duncan Patton a Campbell
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:33:25 +0200
"What you get is Not what you see" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Sorry my perhaps trivial question.
> I have searched the net a lot and cant resolve my issue.
> I use Openbsd 4.1 and the default wm fvwm.
> I want to do these things
> 1-To start a program (namely rdesktop with some parameters) when a
> user logins to x.
> 2-Alternatively, add a menu item to fvwm menu which launches rdesktop program.
> I have tried locating some .fvwm2rc/config  files in different places

I think you need a .fvwmrc in your home (user) directory or
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm/.fvwmrc for global.  This is what
I have added to the RootMenu for rdesktop to my kid's WinDos box:

+               "PootB" Exec exec /usr/local/bin/rdesktop -dNEOTEXT  -g '1024X768' -D -K -N 192.168.1.45:3389

Dhu