[New] x11/gromit-mpx

Laurence Tratt
Some of you may remember gromit, a simple X11 application that let you draw
squiggles over the screen -- useful for teaching, screencasting, etc. It had
some performance problems and our port had bitrotted sufficiently that it's
now in the attic [1]. AFAIK the only alternative we have in ports is
compiz's annotate tool, but that's not very useful if you don't want to use
compiz.

Attached is a port of x11/gromit-mpx which is a new program based on the
same ideas as gromit (see [2] for a random YouTube demo). It's simple to use
and, if you use a compositing window manager, has good performance.

gromit-mpx also requires two new ports: devel/libappindicator and
devel/libindicator. Brian Callahan had previously added these two libraries
to openbsd-wip: I've updated these to new ports conventions, moved them over
to gtk+3 and, at Brian's request, taken on maintainership. Any mistakes are
mine, not Brian's!

Laurie

[1] https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/x11/gromit/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmbxI0KvhI&feature=youtu.be&t=39

gromit-mpx.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
libappindicator.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
libindicator.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [New] x11/gromit-mpx

Stuart Henderson
On 2020/07/21 20:56, Laurence Tratt wrote:

> Some of you may remember gromit, a simple X11 application that let you draw
> squiggles over the screen -- useful for teaching, screencasting, etc. It had
> some performance problems and our port had bitrotted sufficiently that it's
> now in the attic [1]. AFAIK the only alternative we have in ports is
> compiz's annotate tool, but that's not very useful if you don't want to use
> compiz.
>
> Attached is a port of x11/gromit-mpx which is a new program based on the
> same ideas as gromit (see [2] for a random YouTube demo). It's simple to use
> and, if you use a compositing window manager, has good performance.
>
> gromit-mpx also requires two new ports: devel/libappindicator and
> devel/libindicator. Brian Callahan had previously added these two libraries
> to openbsd-wip: I've updated these to new ports conventions, moved them over
> to gtk+3 and, at Brian's request, taken on maintainership. Any mistakes are
> mine, not Brian's!
>

> Laurie
>
> [1] https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/x11/gromit/
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmbxI0KvhI&feature=youtu.be&t=39

nearly OK, couple of small things though:

libindicator/libappindicator:

V =             12.10
DISTNAME =      libappindicator-${V}.0
MASTER_SITES =  https://launchpad.net/libappindicator/${V}/${V}.0/+download/

V =             12.10
DISTNAME =      libindicator-${V}.1
MASTER_SITES =  https://launchpad.net/libindicator/${V}/${V}.1/+download/

it would be more standard to use V = 12.10.0 / 12.10.1 and
MASTER_SITES =  https://launchpad.net/libindicator/${V:R}/${V}/+download/

I think they would be better in the x11/ kitchen-sink rather than the
devel/ kitchen-sink

gromit-mpx: license marker should be GPLv2+

All want NO_TEST=Yes or otherwise fixing, libindicator has some tests
but they rely on dbus-test-runner which we don't have, libappindicator
tests look for files in libappindicator/app-indicator.h which the port
doesn't use, gromit-mpx doesn't have tests.

I'm not sure what libappindicator wants Python for but if the run dep
isn't required it would be better to get rid of it otherwise some people
will moan about having to install py2.7 ;)

Re: [New] x11/gromit-mpx

Laurence Tratt
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:51:20PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

Hello Stuart,

>> Attached is a port of x11/gromit-mpx which is a new program based on the
>> same ideas as gromit (see [2] for a random YouTube demo). It's simple to
>> use and, if you use a compositing window manager, has good performance.
> nearly OK, couple of small things though:

Thanks for your comments -- I agree with all of them. I've updated and
tested -- please find the updates attached.

Laurie

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:53:07AM +0100, Laurence Tratt wrote:

> Thanks for your comments -- I agree with all of them. I've updated and
> tested -- please find the updates attached.

gromit-mpx-1.3.1 is now out (amongst other changes, this now warns when it
can't grab hotkeys, as some environments like XFCE prevent this). Please find
attached (as well as the not-changed versions of the companion ports).

Laurie