New: net/tn5250

Rui Reis-2
I made a port of tn5250, telnet client (with ssl support) normally used to connect to IBM AS/400 servers. Probably it isn't the most desirable port, however I have been using it a lot in the university, so I hope it can be usefull to someone.

tn5250 is an implementation of the 5250 Telnet protocol.
It provides 5250 library and 5250 terminal emulation.
(usually used to connect to IBM AS/400 Midrange systems)

www:
http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/

the port is available here: http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz

works fine for me on i386 and sparc.

Please test and comment.
Thanks.

Regards,
Rui Reis

Re: New: net/tn5250

Marco Peereboom
Ha, that's awesome!

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:36:54PM +0000, Rui Reis wrote:

> I made a port of tn5250, telnet client (with ssl support) normally used to connect to IBM AS/400 servers. Probably it isn't the most desirable port, however I have been using it a lot in the university, so I hope it can be usefull to someone.

> tn5250 is an implementation of the 5250 Telnet protocol.
> It provides 5250 library and 5250 terminal emulation.
> (usually used to connect to IBM AS/400 Midrange systems)
>
> www:
> http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/
>
> the port is available here: http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz
>
> works fine for me on i386 and sparc.
>
> Please test and comment.
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Rui Reis

Re: New: net/tn5250

Mathieu Sauve-Frankel
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:36:54PM +0000, Rui Reis wrote:
> I made a port of tn5250, telnet client (with ssl support) normally used to connect to IBM AS/400 servers. Probably it isn't the most desirable port, however I have been using it a lot in the university, so I hope it can be usefull to someone.

> tn5250 is an implementation of the 5250 Telnet protocol.
> It provides 5250 library and 5250 terminal emulation.
> (usually used to connect to IBM AS/400 Midrange systems)

If PKGNAME isn't any different than DISTNAME, you don't have to set
PKGNAME. Apart from that I don't see anything else wrong with this port.
Mind you I only checked it out quickly on -current i386. It seems to
work fine with the 400's at work.

Mathieu Sauve-Frankel

Re: New: net/tn5250

Rui Reis-2
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:01:53 -0500
Mathieu Sauve-Frankel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:36:54PM +0000, Rui Reis wrote:
> > I made a port of tn5250, telnet client (with ssl support) normally
> > used to connect to IBM AS/400 servers. Probably it isn't the most
> > desirable port, however I have been using it a lot in the
> > university, so I hope it can be usefull to someone.

> > tn5250 is an implementation of the 5250 Telnet protocol.
> > It provides 5250 library and 5250 terminal emulation.
> > (usually used to connect to IBM AS/400 Midrange systems)
>
> If PKGNAME isn't any different than DISTNAME, you don't have to set
> PKGNAME. Apart from that I don't see anything else wrong with this
> port.  Mind you I only checked it out quickly on -current i386. It
> seems to work fine with the 400's at work.

Yes, you're right, I forgot about it. Thanks for the correction.

I've already updated the port and it's still available here:
http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz

Regards,
Rui Reis

> --
> Mathieu Sauve-Frankel

Re: New: net/tn5250

Christian Weisgerber
Rui Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've already updated the port and it's still available here:
> http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz

CONFIGURE_STYLE=autoconf is only used when you change one of the
files used to create the configure script from, e.g. configure.in,
and need to regenerate it.  To simply use a provided GNU configure
script, set CONFIGURE_STYLE=gnu.

Re: New: net/tn5250

Christian Weisgerber
Rui Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've already updated the port and it's still available here:
> http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz

Further comments on some basic issues:

* This port builds dynamic and static versions of a library.
  Add CONFIGURE_ARGS=${CONFIGURE_SHARED} to allow disabling building the
  dynamic one.

* It uses an included version of libtool.  We now prefer the one
  provided by the ports framework, thus set USE_LIBTOOL=Yes.

* There is a regression framework and "make regress" at the port level
  will call it properly.  Yes, it's empty in the current release, but we
  don't mind.  Don't set NO_REGRESS.

Re: New: net/tn5250

Rui Reis-2
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:59:52 +0000 (UTC)
[hidden email] (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

> Rui Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I've already updated the port and it's still available here:
> > http://www.openbsd-pt.com/ports/port-tn5250-0.17.3.tar.gz
>
> Further comments on some basic issues:
>
> * This port builds dynamic and static versions of a library.
>   Add CONFIGURE_ARGS=${CONFIGURE_SHARED} to allow disabling building
>   the dynamic one.
>
> * It uses an included version of libtool.  We now prefer the one
>   provided by the ports framework, thus set USE_LIBTOOL=Yes.
>
> * There is a regression framework and "make regress" at the port level
>   will call it properly.  Yes, it's empty in the current release, but
>   we don't mind.  Don't set NO_REGRESS.

Fixed. Thanks!