[New] editors/emacs-lite

Leonid Bobrov
Hi!

Emacs has too many dependencies which make it as heavy as cow or even
elephant...

I was thinking about adding a flavor, but it seems to be a headache.

So, I've decided to make a separate package (by copying editors/emacs)
to make Emacs as light as pig...

emacs-lite.tar.gz (29K) Download Attachment

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Brian Callahan-3
I'm breaking my own rule regarding emails like this by even responding, but...$ man 1 mg

-------- Original message --------From: mazocomp <[hidden email]> Date: 1/29/18  10:05 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: [New] editors/emacs-lite
Hi!

Emacs has too many dependencies which make it as heavy as cow or even
elephant...

I was thinking about adding a flavor, but it seems to be a headache.

So, I've decided to make a separate package (by copying editors/emacs)
to make Emacs as light as pig...

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
On Tue, Jan 30 2018, mazocomp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Emacs has too many dependencies which make it as heavy as cow or even
> elephant...
>
> I was thinking about adding a flavor, but it seems to be a headache.
>
> So, I've decided to make a separate package (by copying editors/emacs)
> to make Emacs as light as pig...

Not sure if serious, but I'll reply anyway...

First, you seem to need absolutely nothing except libraries from base
and xenocara, so I have a hard time understanding why you can't just
build and install your own stripped-down emacs in your home directory.

Regarding the current emacs port, the gtk2/gtk3 flavors are what other
systems provide, ie a full-featured emacs package, and the no_x11
flavor provides a reasonable compromise for those who don't need/want
a gui.

I think your proposal is over the top and I would disagree with its
import.  SHould it happen, I will certainly not spend time maintaining
it, so you can remove my name from MAINTAINER.

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Leonid Bobrov
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:48:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
> I'm breaking my own rule regarding emails like this by even responding, but...$ man 1 mg

I know about mg(1), but you know that emacs is not only the text editor.

Emacs has extensions that make it usable, for example, as IRC client.

Also mg(1) doesn't support UTF-8 and I write russian characters
somehow (well, I find editors/jed good for this).

Sending from my toaster.

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Leonid Bobrov
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:29:47AM -0300, Gonzalo L. Rodriguez wrote:

> On [30/01/18] [12:40P], mazocomp wrote:
> ; On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:48:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
> ; > I'm breaking my own rule regarding emails like this by even responding, but...$ man 1 mg
> ;
> ; I know about mg(1), but you know that emacs is not only the text editor.
> ;
> ; Emacs has extensions that make it usable, for example, as IRC client.
> ;
> ; Also mg(1) doesn't support UTF-8 and I write russian characters
> ; somehow (well, I find editors/jed good for this).
> ;
>
> editors/zile?
>
> --
> Sending from my toaster.

Zile doesn't support UTF-8 either.

I also tried both Emacs 21 and XEmacs 21, they are as light as this
emacs-lite, but trying to write russian characters printed me squares.
(of course I tried setting prefer-coding-system)

editors/uemacs annoyingly separates UTF-8 characters by space.

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Matthieu Herrb-7
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 02:40:06PM +0200, mazocomp wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:48:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
> > I'm breaking my own rule regarding emails like this by even responding, but...$ man 1 mg
>
> I know about mg(1), but you know that emacs is not only the text editor.
>
> Emacs has extensions that make it usable, for example, as IRC client.
>
> Also mg(1) doesn't support UTF-8 and I write russian characters
> somehow (well, I find editors/jed good for this).

What's wrong with emacs-21.4p37-no_x11 ? it has no extra run
dependencies AFAICT ?
Matthieu Herrb

Re: [New] editors/emacs-lite

Leonid Bobrov
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 07:39:37PM +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 02:40:06PM +0200, mazocomp wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:48:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
> > > I'm breaking my own rule regarding emails like this by even responding, but...$ man 1 mg
> >
> > I know about mg(1), but you know that emacs is not only the text editor.
> >
> > Emacs has extensions that make it usable, for example, as IRC client.
> >
> > Also mg(1) doesn't support UTF-8 and I write russian characters
> > somehow (well, I find editors/jed good for this).
>
> What's wrong with emacs-21.4p37-no_x11 ? it has no extra run
> dependencies AFAICT ?
> --
> Matthieu Herrb

I allready told that both Emacs 21 and XEmacs 21 don't print russian
characters and setting "prefer-coding-system" doesn't help.