Network appliance recomendation.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
Hi folks.

Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.

I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
storage and five rj45 ports.

Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?

I'm disappointing using other network solutions with proprietary
brands in the market.

Best Regards.

P.S sorry for my bad english.

--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.org - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
> storage and five rj45 ports.

RJ45 ports? 100Mbit? Gigabit?

> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?

If 100Mbit is fine, go with a Mini-ITX board and a 4-port Ethernet card
in the PCI slot.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Hermes Ojeda Ruiz
In reply to this post by Francisco Valladolid H.
I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
expensive. (In México taxes are a big problem).

In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm

They are cheaper, but I don't know about their performance.


On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Francisco Valladolid H.
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>
> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
> storage and five rj45 ports.
>
> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>
> I'm disappointing using other network solutions with proprietary
> brands in the market.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> P.S sorry for my bad english.
>
> --
> Francisco Valladolid H.
>  -- http://blog.bsdguy.org - Jesus Christ follower.
>
>


--
Hermes Ojeda Ruiz
LogicalBricks Solutions
http://logicalbricks.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Chris Cappuccio
Hermes Ojeda Ruiz [[hidden email]] wrote:
> I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
> expensive. (In M?xico taxes are a big problem).
>
> In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
> http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> They are cheaper, but I don't know about their performance.
>

The ALIX chipset is identical to the Soekris 5501. The rest of the
hardware on the ALIX was much more reliable than the 5501 from day 1.
Makes the price difference ironic...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
In reply to this post by Mikkel C. Simonsen
I think

mini-ITX boards are ok, but I need a integrated solutions.

Soekris is fine but lack of characteristics. 1gb rj45 port, etc.

it http://www.calyptix.com/portfolio/ae1200/ look fine.

Regards.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Mikkel C. Simonsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>>
>> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
>> storage and five rj45 ports.
>
>
> RJ45 ports? 100Mbit? Gigabit?
>
>
>> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>
>
> If 100Mbit is fine, go with a Mini-ITX board and a 4-port Ethernet card in
> the PCI slot.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mikkel C. Simonsen
>



--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
In reply to this post by Hermes Ojeda Ruiz
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Hermes Ojeda Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
> expensive. (In México taxes are a big problem).

Yes, taxes and import duties are a pain.
I have a pair of Soekris 4501 running OpenBSD 4.6 yet!

>
> In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
> http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm

I don't found rack cases for this cards.

>
> They are cheaper, but I don't know about their performance.

The throughput in this nic is low ~ 50mbps

>

I'm watching http://www.liantec.com/product/emboard/EMB-5842 look fine
and have a high throughput.

>
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Francisco Valladolid H.
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
>> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>>
>> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
>> storage and five rj45 ports.
>>
>> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>>
>> I'm disappointing using other network solutions with proprietary
>> brands in the market.
>>
>> Best Regards.
>>
>> P.S sorry for my bad english.
>>
>> --
>> Francisco Valladolid H.
>>  -- http://blog.bsdguy.org - Jesus Christ follower.
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Hermes Ojeda Ruiz
> LogicalBricks Solutions
> http://logicalbricks.com
>



--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

William Ahern-2
On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 06:50:19PM -0500, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Hermes Ojeda Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
> > expensive. (In M?xico taxes are a big problem).
>
> Yes, taxes and import duties are a pain.
> I have a pair of Soekris 4501 running OpenBSD 4.6 yet!
>
> >
> > In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
> > http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> I don't found rack cases for this cards.
>

Try netgate.com. They resell and repackage from various vendors, including
PC Engines. They sell ALIX boards in 1U cases.

I need to upgrade my ALIX board 'cause it's too slow for IPSec, even with
the VPN card.

Intel just came out with new Atom chips with ECC support.

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182782

It might be easier and cheaper to just toss that into a 1U case.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM, William Ahern
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 06:50:19PM -0500, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Hermes Ojeda Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
>> > expensive. (In M?xico taxes are a big problem).
>>
>> Yes, taxes and import duties are a pain.
>> I have a pair of Soekris 4501 running OpenBSD 4.6 yet!
>>
>> >
>> > In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
>> > http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>>
>> I don't found rack cases for this cards.
>>
>
> Try netgate.com. They resell and repackage from various vendors, including
> PC Engines. They sell ALIX boards in 1U cases.

Good choice.!
>
> I need to upgrade my ALIX board 'cause it's too slow for IPSec, even with
> the VPN card.

fine.

>
> Intel just came out with new Atom chips with ECC support.
>
>         http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182782
>

Thank you for the link.
> It might be easier and cheaper to just toss that into a 1U case.



--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Bentley, Dain
In reply to this post by William Ahern-2
I second this.  An atom board with ECC and a pci NiC to add the ports you need is a great solution.  I have a supermicro running and the performance is fantastic.

I think you can get an 1u barebones for a good price

On Aug 9, 2013, at 9:27 PM, "William Ahern" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 06:50:19PM -0500, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Hermes Ojeda Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've used the Soekris brand. http://soekris.com/, but they are a little
>>> expensive. (In M?xico taxes are a big problem).
>>
>> Yes, taxes and import duties are a pain.
>> I have a pair of Soekris 4501 running OpenBSD 4.6 yet!
>>
>>>
>>> In two months I'll test ALIX appliances:
>>> http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>>
>> I don't found rack cases for this cards.
>
> Try netgate.com. They resell and repackage from various vendors, including
> PC Engines. They sell ALIX boards in 1U cases.
>
> I need to upgrade my ALIX board 'cause it's too slow for IPSec, even with
> the VPN card.
>
> Intel just came out with new Atom chips with ECC support.
>
>    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182782
>
> It might be easier and cheaper to just toss that into a 1U case.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Maurice Janssen-2
In reply to this post by Francisco Valladolid H.
On 08/09/13 17:05, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>
> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
> storage and five rj45 ports.
>
> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?

Axiomtek NA-320R might be an alternative.  Rack mount, 6 gbit ports,
CF-storage and Atom 1.6 GHz CPU.

Maurice

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM, Maurice Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/09/13 17:05, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
>> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>>
>> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
>> storage and five rj45 ports.
>>
>> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>
>
> Axiomtek NA-320R might be an alternative.  Rack mount, 6 gbit ports,
> CF-storage and Atom 1.6 GHz CPU.

Thank you Maurice, excellente recomendation.

>
> Maurice



--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Kaya Saman-2
On 08/10/2013 06:01 PM, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM, Maurice Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 08/09/13 17:05, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>>> Hi folks.
>>>
>>> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
>>> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>>>
>>> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
>>> storage and five rj45 ports.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>>
>> Axiomtek NA-320R might be an alternative.  Rack mount, 6 gbit ports,
>> CF-storage and Atom 1.6 GHz CPU.
> Thank you Maurice, excellente recomendation.
>
>> Maurice
>
>
I know you say "appliance" however, how about an embedded system? Since
you already run OpenBSD on a Mini-ITX system, a 1U rack chassis for
Mini-ITX plus Intel based Network card should also give up to 6-7GbE
ports plus SSD or other flash drive alternative......


e.g. http://www.steatite-embedded.co.uk/

....as examples for chassis and systemboard.

It might not be what you want since you did say "appliance" but still it
is a thought :-)


Regards,


Kaya

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Maurice Janssen-2
On 2013-08-10, Maurice Janssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/09/13 17:05, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
>> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>>
>> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
>> storage and five rj45 ports.
>>
>> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>
> Axiomtek NA-320R might be an alternative.  Rack mount, 6 gbit ports,
> CF-storage and Atom 1.6 GHz CPU.
>
> Maurice
>
>

These can be hard to get via the usual axiomtek reseller channels, but these are
the same thing with a different front plate:

https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-openbsd-appliance-6a16e.html
https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-appliance-6a16er.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Bentley, Dain
In reply to this post by Francisco Valladolid H.
I recommend the atom 1u by supermicro.  If you buy a pic riser with it  you can extend how many interfaces you have ( the board comes with two).  You can get a cheap SSD and your set.  I've been running one as a firewall-vpn for two years and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2013, at 11:06 AM, "Francisco Valladolid H." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> Currently I have a Wireless network serving in my town using a small
> form factor (mini-itx) PC with OpenBSD for pf,squid, and dns cache.
>
> I need recommendations for a network appliance in rack mode with flash
> storage and five rj45 ports.
>
> Can anyone recommended a solution for my needs ?
>
> I'm disappointing using other network solutions with proprietary
> brands in the market.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> P.S sorry for my bad english.
>
> --
> Francisco Valladolid H.
> -- http://blog.bsdguy.org - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Paul de Weerd
In reply to this post by Stuart Henderson
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:09:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
| These can be hard to get via the usual axiomtek reseller channels, but these are
| the same thing with a different front plate:
|
| https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-openbsd-appliance-6a16e.html
| https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-appliance-6a16er.html

I have the 6a16e (i.e. the non-rackmountable version) and have been
very happy with it.  Highly recommmend it!

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

--
>++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
+++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/                 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Francisco Valladolid H.
On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Paul de Weerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:09:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> | These can be hard to get via the usual axiomtek reseller channels, but these are
> | the same thing with a different front plate:
> |
> | https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-openbsd-appliance-6a16e.html
> | https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-appliance-6a16er.html
>
> I have the 6a16e (i.e. the non-rackmountable version) and have been
> very happy with it.  Highly recommmend it!

Thank you Paul.

This model is very expensive plus the shipping and import duties to Mexico..

Regards

>
> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
>
> --
>>++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
> +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
>                  http://www.weirdnet.nl/
>



--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Evan Root-2
I would recommend http://www.mini-itx.com/ and a cheap four port ethernet
card. I just did a quick look around google and it looks like all of the
four port 100mb cards are pci-x. You also will need a pci riser like here
for example
http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-RSCR1UUE4R-1U,-UIO-Right-Side-Riser-Card~10022708~0.htm

After all that you would have a good working system. But then again after
adding up all the parts cost and your time you may still want to go with a
vender who builds for you :(
Unless you really don't find one. Then this is your choice.

Evan Root, CCNA
505.226.1319


On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Francisco Valladolid H.
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Paul de Weerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:09:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > | These can be hard to get via the usual axiomtek reseller channels, but
> these are
> > | the same thing with a different front plate:
> > |
> > |
> https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-openbsd-appliance-6a16e.html
> > |
> https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-appliance-6a16er.html
> >
> > I have the 6a16e (i.e. the non-rackmountable version) and have been
> > very happy with it.  Highly recommmend it!
>
> Thank you Paul.
>
> This model is very expensive plus the shipping and import duties to
> Mexico..
>
> Regards
>
> >
> > Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
> >
> > --
> >>++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
> > +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
> >                  http://www.weirdnet.nl/
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Francisco Valladolid H.
>  -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Network appliance recomendation.

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Francisco Valladolid H.
On 2013-08-11, Francisco Valladolid H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Paul de Weerd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 08:09:02PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> | These can be hard to get via the usual axiomtek reseller channels, but these are
>> | the same thing with a different front plate:
>> |
>> | https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-openbsd-appliance-6a16e.html
>> | https://shop.bytemine.net/startseitenprodukte/bytemine-appliance-6a16er.html
>>
>> I have the 6a16e (i.e. the non-rackmountable version) and have been
>> very happy with it.  Highly recommmend it!
>
> Thank you Paul.
>
> This model is very expensive plus the shipping and import duties to Mexico..

the price is not too different to similarly specced soekris boards (but
has more ethernet ports).

specialist hardware generally is more expensive than general-purpose hardware.
if you require the integration of having everything on the board then you are
likely to have to pay more for it than for hardware which is built in large
volumes.