Narcicism?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Amit Kulkarni-5
>> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13. I am a bit of a
>> guru
>
> [snip]
>
>> age, but at an older age I relearned it well. I am the guru sort of guy, I
>>
> A guru is someone who knows stuff.

and somebody who doesn't come crying or complaining. Gurus help other
lesser mortals.

What a good laugh for the day!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Chris Cappuccio
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
John Tate [[hidden email]] wrote:
> I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of me
> and my little mistakes.
>

You also think facebook is narcissistic because...no negativity is allowed.

http://johntate.org/node/29

Perhaps it's time for the aspiring novelist/philosopher to learn some new words.



--
There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games. - E. Hemingway

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Kevin Chadwick-2
In reply to this post by David Coppa
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:39:24 +0100
David Coppa wrote:

> See the subject: "Narcicism"
>
> And, btw, the correct spelling is "Narcissism": as a guru, this is
> something you should already have known ;)

I prefer narsciscism ;^)

Kc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Gilles Chehade-7
In reply to this post by Chris Cappuccio
On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 09:28:25AM -0800, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> John Tate [[hidden email]] wrote:
> > I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of me
> > and my little mistakes.
> >
>
> You also think facebook is narcissistic because...no negativity is allowed.
>
> http://johntate.org/node/29
>
> Perhaps it's time for the aspiring novelist/philosopher to learn some new words.
>

.. byebye misc@, too much spam ...

--
Gilles Chehade

http://www.poolp.org                                                @poolpOrg

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Duncan Patton a Campbell
In reply to this post by bitfrost
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 10:49:23 -0500
Andres Genovez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you are a real Hacker, you don`t call yourself one, people do.

I call myself a hacker.  Others call me a reverse systems engineer,
systems analyst & programmer, network analyst, repurposing specialist,
blablabla.  But I've been a hacker since I learned about model railroads
and ham radios from my buddy's dad.  I have an apple 2 in the basement
and know minix, so there ;-)

Dhu

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Duncan Patton a Campbell
In reply to this post by Kevin Chadwick-2
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:37:44 +0000
Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:39:24 +0100
> David Coppa wrote:
>
> > See the subject: "Narcicism"
> >
> > And, btw, the correct spelling is "Narcissism": as a guru, this is
> > something you should already have known ;)
>
> I prefer narsciscism ;^)
>
> Kc
>

narchischism?

Dhu

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

patric conant
In reply to this post by Kevin Chadwick-2
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:39:24 +0100
> David Coppa wrote:
>
> > See the subject: "Narcicism"
> >
> > And, btw, the correct spelling is "Narcissism": as a guru, this is
> > something you should already have known ;)
>
> I prefer narsciscism ;^)
>
> Kc
>
>
The alternative to beating people up for posting things like "What use
flags can I use to recompile the kernel to be smaller and faster" is
entertaining the post below, which happens on the vast majority of open
source mailing lists.

Date: Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Subject: hostname
To: [hidden email]


I haven't installed NetBSD yet, I'm trying to configure the network. It
says 'no route to host' I think I need a valid hostname. Can you help me?
Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Scott McEachern-2
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
On 12/01/11 10:25, John Tate wrote:
> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13. I am a bit of a guru
> and do my own Kerberos and such on an all BSD/Linux network. OpenBSD and
> Debian Linux. I love OpenBSD, I'm a bit weird because I use bash. I can put
> up with being made fun of. At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I
> started learning C++ as well. I failed to apprehend it properly at that
> age, but at an older age I relearned it well. I am the guru sort of guy, I
> know a hell of a lot but I'm still connecting it and in that sense still
> learning.
>

John, sorry to burst your bubble, but in your case it really must be done.

You are not a hacker.  Really.

You are not a guru.  Really.

You are a kid who is having a great deal of difficulty learning the
basics.  You say you're 24, but I seriously doubt that, considering you
cannot spell "narcissism" and cannot distinguish between "apprehend" and
"comprehend".  I think you are in dire need of a dictionary (I recommend
Oxford).

John, you are a legend, but only in your own mind.  Your gun has no
bullets; your pencil has no lead; your tree has no wood.

You have some miles to go beyond setting up basic NFS before you can be
called a hacker.

This is a good start to your journey:

$ man man

Thanks for the laughs.  No reply is necessary.  Really.


--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Brandon Weaver
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
...which is exactly the reason I don't post questions. I know that 95% of my
questions I've thought of have been answered by a simple man page search, the
other 5% are hacked together with Python.

As far as being a hacker when people call you that, good lord that term has
been bastardized. Any punk that catches your Facebook open is a hacker
anymore.

I don't answer questions because I don't have the knowledge necessary to yet.
When I do I'm sure I'll parrot in with a few RTFMs. Until then I'll just stalk
about and read. Cheers.

Thanks for your time in reading,

Brandon Weaver

On Dec 1, 2011, at 1:28 AM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of me
> and my little mistakes.
>
> I am not talking about people who actually have a solution, but I can't
> seem to ask anything on this list without parrots coming along picking on
> me. I think some people just hang out here because it's the most anal bunch
> of hackers ever, in recorded history. What are your experiences?
>
> Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying or
> are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?
>
> It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you poorly
> researched crap with no answers contain.
>
> If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.
>
> But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.
>
> John Tate.
>
> Note: Yes, it's not my list.
>
> --
> www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13.
> <...>
> At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I started learning C++ as well.

Are You sure? You wrote C++ Linux kernel code in 2000? Really?

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

David Riley-3
On Dec 1, 2011, at 2:39 PM, Dmitrij Czarkoff wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM, John Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13.
>> <...>
>> At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I started learning C++ as well.
>
> Are You sure? You wrote C++ Linux kernel code in 2000? Really?

To be fair, he didn't say that.


- Dave

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Benny Lofgren
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
On 2011-12-01 16.25, John Tate wrote:
> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13. I am a bit of a guru
> and do my own Kerberos and such on an all BSD/Linux network. OpenBSD and
> Debian Linux. I love OpenBSD, I'm a bit weird because I use bash. I can put
> up with being made fun of. At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I
> started learning C++ as well. I failed to apprehend it properly at that
> age, but at an older age I relearned it well. I am the guru sort of guy, I
> know a hell of a lot but I'm still connecting it and in that sense still
> learning.

John, just to put things into perspective... I know you've been bashed
quite a bit for the above, as well as for your tendency to ask first
and shoot later, which is good if you're a law enforcement officer but
not so good if you're trying to blend into a knowledgeable community
full of professionals who, frankly, are busy guys.

I, on the other hand, kind of like the cockiness you display above -
self confidence is important in order to succeed just about anywhere
in the world. Don't listen to those who mock you for spelling errors
or for having the confidence to do things and stand up for yourself
- but *DO* listen to those who, without having to, volonteer their
time in order to help you and others on this list and anywhere.

Now for the perspective part.

I, like you, started out young. Got my first computer at age 11, which
was more or less the last my parents saw of me for the next few years
or so. It also got me a good head start into the then emerging computer
industry; by the time I was 17 I landed an internship with a local
unix computer manufacturer due in part to my knowledge of low level
machine language programming (but mostly because my father and the
CEO of that company were buddies...).

By the time you were born, I had about 5 years of unix application,
utility and kernel development experience to add to my five years
of more or less low level hacking in one of the popular Z-80 based
personal computer platforms of the day.

I felt much like you do. I was on top of the world. :-)

I was young and I was *good* at what I did, and I worked in an emerging
field where there were, perhaps, a few hundred people IN THE WORLD doing
what I did at the level I were at.

Well, that was nearly 25 years ago. I'm 45 now.

Since then, I've realized that what I know is not nearly as important as
what I *don't* know.

I'm still constantly learning new stuff - every day I pick up something
new and interesting. I know now what I didn't know then - there is always
someone else who knows this particular part of the equation better than
you. AND I LISTEN TO THEM. Hopefully they listen to me in turn other times
- not because I tell them I'm a guru or whatnot but because I've shown
that I only open my mouth when I know what I'm talking about.

I'm still very confident in my own abilities though, and because of that
I'm good at selling my consulting services to those needing my particular
skill set. Therefore, the confidence and cockiness of youth are not at
all bad traits. You just need to be more aware of other things.

Don't waste time feeling insulted by faceless people on mailing lists -
adapt and overcome! Study the archives, learn from those whose advice have
proven adequate, correct and useful in the past and ignore the trolls and
those who have nothing more useful to share than correcting your spelling
errors. Fight the urge to join the dark, trolly side!

And, wax on. Wax off.


Regards,
/Benny


>>> Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying or
>>> are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?
>>>
>> Well I get messages that are worthless and seem to be insults.
>
>>
>>> It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you poorly
>>> researched crap with no answers contain.
>>>
>>> If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.
>>>
>>> But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.
>>>
>>> John Tate.
>>>
>>> Note: Yes, it's not my list.
>>>
>>>
>> John, if you don't mind, I'll give you some advice:  Do your homework
>> before posting to the list.  Your basic instinct is to click "Send" instead
>> of thinking first.  I've lost count of how many of your posts were
>> retracted by yourself, with a big "oops, my bad" or were replied to with
>> RTFM-type responses.  I got a kick out of one retraction where you said
>> something like "Sorry, I was drunk."
>>
>> You're obviously new here.  Sure, it's a tough crowd at times, but that
>> only happens when people don't bother reading the FAQ, or the man pages, or
>> trying things out for themselves.  A lot of people have asked "stupid"
>> questions or said something "dumb" -- myself included -- and got painful
>> responses.  I've had my share of facepalm experiences and had my ass handed
>> to me plenty of times, but I deserved it.
>>
>> But you know what?  I try to not make a regular occasion of it.  It seems
>> you do.
>>
>> I help a lot of people off-list, and I know for a fact many others do the
>> same.  I've found through years of experience there are two kinds of people
>> on this list: those that need a little help and pointed in the right
>> direction, and those that need their hands held for every step.  Guess
>> which category I put you in?  And that's exactly why I've helped you a
>> grand total of zero times.
>>
>> Now you have the gall to come on this list and insult the people that are
>> trying to help you.  I don't think there's anyone on this list that sits
>> idly, waiting for an opportunity to "pick on" or "bully" someone.  Get a
>> grip, get some thicker skin, and most of all, RTFM first.
>>
>> I guarantee that if you take my advice, you'll find this list to be a
>> very, very valuable resource.  Remember, there is a difference between
>> *reading* and *comprehension*.  Work a little harder on the latter and I
>> think you'll find you won't be "picked on".
>>
>> Stop playing the victim.  You're not the first and it's old.
>>
>> --
>> Scott McEachern
>>
>> https://www.blackstaff.ca
>>
>>
>
>

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,
                    /   fax:    +46 8 551 124 89    /    not counted."
                   /    email:  benny -at- internetlabbet.se

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Eric Oyen
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
like any other population, we have our parrots, non-thinkers, OCD, Bi-polar,
stupid or the otherwise normal. we also have more than a few extremely
intelligent people.

one thing I have noticed (because I also suffer from it) is that more
intelligent you are, the worse your interpersonal skills tend to be. mow, I
happen to be fairly intelligent (somewhere north of the upper 130's) , but I
am not so far above the normals that I can't understand them. I have known
people so intelligent that they have virtually no understanding of how their
fellow human beings work (and I can understand that position as well).

the point I am  hoping to make is that we all have our quirks, behavioral
problems and skills (and that is fine by me). all that is needed is a little
understanding and a very thick skin.

-eric

On Dec 1, 2011, at 12:28 AM, John Tate wrote:

> I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of me
> and my little mistakes.
>
> I am not talking about people who actually have a solution, but I can't
> seem to ask anything on this list without parrots coming along picking on
> me. I think some people just hang out here because it's the most anal bunch
> of hackers ever, in recorded history. What are your experiences?
>
> Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying or
> are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?
>
> It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you poorly
> researched crap with no answers contain.
>
> If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.
>
> But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.
>
> John Tate.
>
> Note: Yes, it's not my list.
>
> --
> www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

RichardET
I have known geniuses who were computer illiterate.
On Dec 1, 2011 5:58 PM, "Eric Oyen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> like any other population, we have our parrots, non-thinkers, OCD,
> Bi-polar,
> stupid or the otherwise normal. we also have more than a few extremely
> intelligent people.
>
> one thing I have noticed (because I also suffer from it) is that more
> intelligent you are, the worse your interpersonal skills tend to be. mow, I
> happen to be fairly intelligent (somewhere north of the upper 130's) , but
> I
> am not so far above the normals that I can't understand them. I have known
> people so intelligent that they have virtually no understanding of how
> their
> fellow human beings work (and I can understand that position as well).
>
> the point I am  hoping to make is that we all have our quirks, behavioral
> problems and skills (and that is fine by me). all that is needed is a
> little
> understanding and a very thick skin.
>
> -eric
>
> On Dec 1, 2011, at 12:28 AM, John Tate wrote:
>
> > I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of
> me
> > and my little mistakes.
> >
> > I am not talking about people who actually have a solution, but I can't
> > seem to ask anything on this list without parrots coming along picking on
> > me. I think some people just hang out here because it's the most anal
> bunch
> > of hackers ever, in recorded history. What are your experiences?
> >
> > Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying
> or
> > are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?
> >
> > It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you
> poorly
> > researched crap with no answers contain.
> >
> > If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.
> >
> > But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.
> >
> > John Tate.
> >
> > Note: Yes, it's not my list.
> >
> > --
> > www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Neal Hogan
In reply to this post by Eric Oyen
On 12/1/11, Eric Oyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> like any other population, we have our parrots, non-thinkers, OCD, Bi-polar,
> stupid or the otherwise normal. we also have more than a few extremely
> intelligent people.
>
> one thing I have noticed (because I also suffer from it) is that more
> intelligent you are, the worse your interpersonal skills tend to be. mow, I
> happen to be fairly intelligent (somewhere north of the upper 130's) ,

Oh ya? Well, you spelled 'now' wrong ;-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Brandon Weaver
....so remind me again why we're catering to NLB's and Trolls?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Neal Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/1/11, Eric Oyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > like any other population, we have our parrots, non-thinkers, OCD,
> Bi-polar,
> > stupid or the otherwise normal. we also have more than a few extremely
> > intelligent people.
> >
> > one thing I have noticed (because I also suffer from it) is that more
> > intelligent you are, the worse your interpersonal skills tend to be.
> mow, I
> > happen to be fairly intelligent (somewhere north of the upper 130's) ,
>
> Oh ya? Well, you spelled 'now' wrong ;-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Frans Haarman-2
2011/12/1 Brandon Weaver <[hidden email]>:
> ....so remind me again why we're catering to NLB's and Trolls?
>

I think people are still debugging his bug report.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Eric Brown-5
In reply to this post by John Tate-8
Thanks for the laugh, John.
I made a meme for you:

http://memegenerator.net/instance/11838771



On Dec 1, 2011, at 10:25 AM, John Tate wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Scott McEachern <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>
>> On 12/01/11 02:28, John Tate wrote:
>>
>>> I think I've found a bug in the OpenBSD crowd. They bug the hell out of
me

>>> and my little mistakes.
>>>
>>> I am not talking about people who actually have a solution, but I can't
>>> seem to ask anything on this list without parrots coming along picking on
>>> me. I think some people just hang out here because it's the most anal
>>> bunch
>>> of hackers ever, in recorded history. What are your experiences?
>>>
>>
> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13. I am a bit of a guru
> and do my own Kerberos and such on an all BSD/Linux network. OpenBSD and
> Debian Linux. I love OpenBSD, I'm a bit weird because I use bash. I can put
> up with being made fun of. At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I
> started learning C++ as well. I failed to apprehend it properly at that
> age, but at an older age I relearned it well. I am the guru sort of guy, I
> know a hell of a lot but I'm still connecting it and in that sense still
> learning.
>
>
>>
>>> Is it true that occasionally we attract people who either love bullying
or
>>> are just lazy and pretending to be one of the clever?
>>>
>> Well I get messages that are worthless and seem to be insults.
>
>>
>>> It just figures some of these people sit on the list, and email you
poorly

>>> researched crap with no answers contain.
>>>
>>> If you hate a question, it truly doesn't belong, bug me.
>>>
>>> But if you just can't answer a question, ignore it.
>>>
>>> John Tate.
>>>
>>> Note: Yes, it's not my list.
>>>
>>>
>> John, if you don't mind, I'll give you some advice:  Do your homework
>> before posting to the list.  Your basic instinct is to click "Send"
instead
>> of thinking first.  I've lost count of how many of your posts were
>> retracted by yourself, with a big "oops, my bad" or were replied to with
>> RTFM-type responses.  I got a kick out of one retraction where you said
>> something like "Sorry, I was drunk."
>>
>> You're obviously new here.  Sure, it's a tough crowd at times, but that
>> only happens when people don't bother reading the FAQ, or the man pages,
or
>> trying things out for themselves.  A lot of people have asked "stupid"
>> questions or said something "dumb" -- myself included -- and got painful
>> responses.  I've had my share of facepalm experiences and had my ass
handed
>> to me plenty of times, but I deserved it.
>>
>> But you know what?  I try to not make a regular occasion of it.  It seems
>> you do.
>>
>> I help a lot of people off-list, and I know for a fact many others do the
>> same.  I've found through years of experience there are two kinds of
people

>> on this list: those that need a little help and pointed in the right
>> direction, and those that need their hands held for every step.  Guess
>> which category I put you in?  And that's exactly why I've helped you a
>> grand total of zero times.
>>
>> Now you have the gall to come on this list and insult the people that are
>> trying to help you.  I don't think there's anyone on this list that sits
>> idly, waiting for an opportunity to "pick on" or "bully" someone.  Get a
>> grip, get some thicker skin, and most of all, RTFM first.
>>
>> I guarantee that if you take my advice, you'll find this list to be a
>> very, very valuable resource.  Remember, there is a difference between
>> *reading* and *comprehension*.  Work a little harder on the latter and I
>> think you'll find you won't be "picked on".
>>
>> Stop playing the victim.  You're not the first and it's old.
>>
>> --
>> Scott McEachern
>>
>> https://www.blackstaff.ca
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> www.johntate.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
In reply to this post by Gilles Chehade-7
> .. byebye misc@, too much spam ...
>

Indeed.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Narcicism?

Nomen Nescio
In reply to this post by patric conant
See changes below:

> Date: Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 02:30 AM
> Subject: help me
> To: [hidden email]
>
>
> I am a seasoned expert at OpenBSD. I downloaded the IA64 version for my
> new Intel Quad and burned a CD. I got some stupid warning about burning a
> 5.2G ISO as data on a 80 minute CD but I ignored it and it worked so no
> problem. Now it won't even boot. Don't you guys test this stuff before you
> put it out there. The Windows 7 Ultimate Seasoned Pro Guru Totally
> Expanded Master Edition that came on this computer runs perfectly, why
> doesn't FreeBSD even work on this PC. They warned me Linux is totally
> bogus and I didn't believe that until now. If the installer can't even
> work I may be forced to go back to Windows.

1234