NanoPi R2S support

Lear Zhou
 Hi,

I have bought a NanoPi R2S, which features the RK3328 SoC with 2 1Gbps
Ethernet ports
and 1G DDR4 RAM. Reading OpenBSD document, what I learned is that
idbloader.img and
u-boot.itb are needed to made a bootable mini sd card that can load OpenBSD
mini boot
img.

My question is, can I extract from the product's 'official' Linux image
these necessary files,
or I would have to ask someone in the port team to build these files?

Lear Zhou

Re: NanoPi R2S support

Kurt Miller-3
On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 21:19 -0700, Lear Zhou wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I have bought a NanoPi R2S, which features the RK3328 SoC with 2 1Gbps
> Ethernet ports
> and 1G DDR4 RAM. Reading OpenBSD document, what I learned is that
> idbloader.img and
> u-boot.itb are needed to made a bootable mini sd card that can load OpenBSD
> mini boot
> img.
>
> My question is, can I extract from the product's 'official' Linux image
> these necessary files,
> or I would have to ask someone in the port team to build these files?
>
> Lear Zhou

From the FriendlyArm product description it appears the Linux image
comes with u-boot 2017.11. I think that is too old to use with
OpenBSD. I know 2017.09 has a bug in it that prevents our bootloader
from working. I'm unsure when that bug was fixed in u-boot though.

I don't see support for the NanoPi R2S in u-boot master so there's
a decent amount of work to add support for it. It may be a fun
mini-project for someone who has a NanoPi R2S to add support to
u-boot though.

-Kurt

Re: NanoPi R2S support

Mark Kettenis
> From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:54:13 -0400
>
> On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 21:19 -0700, Lear Zhou wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >
> > I have bought a NanoPi R2S, which features the RK3328 SoC with 2 1Gbps
> > Ethernet ports
> > and 1G DDR4 RAM. Reading OpenBSD document, what I learned is that
> > idbloader.img and
> > u-boot.itb are needed to made a bootable mini sd card that can load OpenBSD
> > mini boot
> > img.
> >
> > My question is, can I extract from the product's 'official' Linux image
> > these necessary files,
> > or I would have to ask someone in the port team to build these files?
> >
> > Lear Zhou
>
> >From the FriendlyArm product description it appears the Linux image
> comes with u-boot 2017.11. I think that is too old to use with
> OpenBSD. I know 2017.09 has a bug in it that prevents our bootloader
> from working. I'm unsure when that bug was fixed in u-boot though.

Actually, I fixed that bug last weekend.  There are still U-Boot
versions that don't work, but 2017.09 and 2017.11 should work now.

> I don't see support for the NanoPi R2S in u-boot master so there's
> a decent amount of work to add support for it. It may be a fun
> mini-project for someone who has a NanoPi R2S to add support to
> u-boot though.
>
> -Kurt

Re: NanoPi R2S support

Kurt Miller-3
On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 23:01 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> > From: Kurt Miller <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:54:13 -0400
> >
> > On Sat, 2020-03-14 at 21:19 -0700, Lear Zhou wrote:
> > >
> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > > I have bought a NanoPi R2S, which features the RK3328 SoC with 2 1Gbps
> > > Ethernet ports
> > > and 1G DDR4 RAM. Reading OpenBSD document, what I learned is that
> > > idbloader.img and
> > > u-boot.itb are needed to made a bootable mini sd card that can load OpenBSD
> > > mini boot
> > > img.
> > >
> > > My question is, can I extract from the product's 'official' Linux image
> > > these necessary files,
> > > or I would have to ask someone in the port team to build these files?
> > >
> > > Lear Zhou
> > >
> > > From the FriendlyArm product description it appears the Linux image
> > comes with u-boot 2017.11. I think that is too old to use with
> > OpenBSD. I know 2017.09 has a bug in it that prevents our bootloader
> > from working. I'm unsure when that bug was fixed in u-boot though.
>
> Actually, I fixed that bug last weekend.  There are still U-Boot
> versions that don't work, but 2017.09 and 2017.11 should work now.

Oh that's great. So it should be possible do something like
this to extract u-boot from the linux image and write to uSD:

dd if=rk3328-sd-friendlycore-bionic-5.4-arm64-20200312.img \
   of=nanopi.r2s.u-boot.img skip=64 count=32000

dd if=miniroot66.fs of=/dev/sdXc bs=1m
dd if=nanopi.r2s.u-boot.img of=/dev/sdXc seek=64

where sdX is the micro sd being prepared and miniroot66.fs is
from current.