[NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Peter Ezetta
Hello ports@,

Attached is a new port to provide the WWW::Shodan::API module. This module
provides a Perl interface to the Shodan computer search engine.

I was a bit unclear on whether the dependencies should be marked as
BUILD_DEPENDS or RUN_DEPENDS. I currently have them set as BUILD so that
they will be installed ahead of the configuration step, silencing the
warnings from Makefile.PL about missing modules. If this is incorrect,
please let me know and I'll update it.

As always, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pretty
new to porting.

Comments? OK?

Thanks,
Peter

p5-WWW-Shodan-API.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/07/25 13:34, Peter Ezetta wrote:

> Hello ports@,
>
> Attached is a new port to provide the WWW::Shodan::API module. This module
> provides a Perl interface to the Shodan computer search engine.
>
> I was a bit unclear on whether the dependencies should be marked as
> BUILD_DEPENDS or RUN_DEPENDS. I currently have them set as BUILD so that
> they will be installed ahead of the configuration step, silencing the
> warnings from Makefile.PL about missing modules. If this is incorrect,
> please let me know and I'll update it.
>
> As always, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pretty
> new to porting.
>
> Comments? OK?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Just setting them as BUILD_DEPENDS means that they aren't listed as
run dependencies, so the packages won't work unless the user just happens
to have the right things already installed. Normally set them like this:

RUN_DEPENDS = converters/p5-JSON \
                www/p5-libwww \
                www/p5-URI
BUILD_DEPENDS = ${RUN_DEPENDS}

(and not the other way around i.e. not RUN_DEPENDS=${BUILD_DEPENDS},
because you'll often have extra things automatically added to
BUILD_DEPENDS that you don't want to make it into RUN_DEPENDS).

Please also drop NO_TEST, that is for "this port doesn't have tests
and errors out as a result". In this case it doesn't have tests but
just says so and exits cleanly.

Re: [NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Peter Ezetta
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the feedback, the clarification on *_DEPENDS was very
helpful. Attached is an updated port that incorporates your suggestions.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 2:53 PM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 2019/07/25 13:34, Peter Ezetta wrote:
> > Hello ports@,
> >
> > Attached is a new port to provide the WWW::Shodan::API module. This
> module
> > provides a Perl interface to the Shodan computer search engine.
> >
> > I was a bit unclear on whether the dependencies should be marked as
> > BUILD_DEPENDS or RUN_DEPENDS. I currently have them set as BUILD so that
> > they will be installed ahead of the configuration step, silencing the
> > warnings from Makefile.PL about missing modules. If this is incorrect,
> > please let me know and I'll update it.
> >
> > As always, any other feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm pretty
> > new to porting.
> >
> > Comments? OK?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
>
> Just setting them as BUILD_DEPENDS means that they aren't listed as
> run dependencies, so the packages won't work unless the user just happens
> to have the right things already installed. Normally set them like this:
>
> RUN_DEPENDS =   converters/p5-JSON \
>                 www/p5-libwww \
>                 www/p5-URI
> BUILD_DEPENDS = ${RUN_DEPENDS}
>
> (and not the other way around i.e. not RUN_DEPENDS=${BUILD_DEPENDS},
> because you'll often have extra things automatically added to
> BUILD_DEPENDS that you don't want to make it into RUN_DEPENDS).
>
> Please also drop NO_TEST, that is for "this port doesn't have tests
> and errors out as a result". In this case it doesn't have tests but
> just says so and exits cleanly.

p5-WWW-Shodan-API.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Andrew Hewus Fresh
On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 04:20:05PM -0700, Peter Ezetta wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thank you for the feedback, the clarification on *_DEPENDS was very
> helpful. Attached is an updated port that incorporates your suggestions.

I looked at this as well and I'm not sure why you need the
BUILD_DEPENDS=${RUN_DEPENDS} at all, it seems to package just fine
without that.

With that change (unless someone knows why it's needed) OK afresh1@

--
andrew - http://afresh1.com

Instructions are just another man's opinion of how to do something.
                      -- Weldboy #DPWisdom

Re: [NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Peter Ezetta
I had BUILD_DEPENDS=${RUN_DEPENDS} to silence the warnings about
missing modules from Makefile.PL when packaging. If this isn't a
problem, I can certainly send an updated port with that line
removed.

Peter

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM Andrew Hewus Fresh <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 04:20:05PM -0700, Peter Ezetta wrote:
> > Hi Stuart,
> >
> > Thank you for the feedback, the clarification on *_DEPENDS was very
> > helpful. Attached is an updated port that incorporates your suggestions.
>
> I looked at this as well and I'm not sure why you need the
> BUILD_DEPENDS=${RUN_DEPENDS} at all, it seems to package just fine
> without that.
>
> With that change (unless someone knows why it's needed) OK afresh1@
>

> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 2:53 PM Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > > module

> that
> incorrect,

> pretty

> > > Just setting them as BUILD_DEPENDS means that they aren't listed as
> > > run dependencies, so the packages won't work unless the user just
> happens
> > > to have the right things already installed. Normally set them like
> this:
> > >
> > > RUN_DEPENDS =   converters/p5-JSON \
> > >                 www/p5-libwww \
> > >                 www/p5-URI
> > > BUILD_DEPENDS = ${RUN_DEPENDS}
> > >
> > > (and not the other way around i.e. not RUN_DEPENDS=${BUILD_DEPENDS},
> > > because you'll often have extra things automatically added to
> > > BUILD_DEPENDS that you don't want to make it into RUN_DEPENDS).
> > >
> > > Please also drop NO_TEST, that is for "this port doesn't have tests
> > > and errors out as a result". In this case it doesn't have tests but
> > > just says so and exits cleanly.
> > >

> --
> andrew - http://afresh1.com
>
> Instructions are just another man's opinion of how to do something.
>                       -- Weldboy #DPWisdom

Re: [NEW] www/p5-WWW-Shodan-API

Peter Ezetta
Since the line is simply silencing build-time warnings from Makefile.PL,
I have attached an updated version of the port with that line removed.
I confirmed that the deps get picked up and installed by pkg_add as
expected.

Attached is an updated port without the BUILD_DEPENDS line.

Comments? Ok?

This updated version is OK afresh1@

--
andrew - http://afresh1.com

Unix is very simple,
    but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity.
                      -- Dennis Ritchie