Quantcast

NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Rafael Sadowski
Hi all,

please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.

$ pkg/DESCR
universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags better
can work together.


Best regards,

Rafael Sadowski

universal-ctags.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2

(Cc'ing Alexandr, the maintainer of devel/ectags.)

Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.
>
> $ pkg/DESCR
> universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
> existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
> maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags better
> can work together.

There are a few things that caught my eye, but first: shouldn't this
replace devel/ectags?  (IIUC ectags is exuberant ctags, the sourceforge
project mentioned in DESCR, with no release since 2009).

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Alexandr Shadchin-2
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
> (Cc'ing Alexandr, the maintainer of devel/ectags.)
>
> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.
> >
> > $ pkg/DESCR
> > universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
> > existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
> > maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags
> better
> > can work together.
>
> There are a few things that caught my eye, but first: shouldn't this
> replace devel/ectags?  (IIUC ectags is exuberant ctags, the sourceforge
> project mentioned in DESCR, with no release since 2009).
>
> --
> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE
>

It would be nice. ectags is old and contain bugs.

--
Alexandr Shadchin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Alexandr Shadchin <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> (Cc'ing Alexandr, the maintainer of devel/ectags.)
>>
>> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.
>> >
>> > $ pkg/DESCR
>> > universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
>> > existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
>> > maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags
>> better
>> > can work together.
>>
>> There are a few things that caught my eye, but first: shouldn't this
>> replace devel/ectags?  (IIUC ectags is exuberant ctags, the sourceforge
>> project mentioned in DESCR, with no release since 2009).
>>
>> --
>> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE
>>
>
> It would be nice. ectags is old and contain bugs.
upstream had a discussion about this:

  https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags/issues/446

The tags file format seems compatible with ectags, but I don't know what
are the differences between ectags and uctags. I'll leave the question
to ectags users.

The updated port contains the following changes:
- move to devel, like ectags.  I don't think it fits in sysutils or
  textproc
- afaik CONFIGURE_ARGS --prefix=${LOCALBASE} --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc
  were no-op.  Is there a reason to specify them?
- embed the git commit in the build (after all, it's not a release, and
  it could help upstream bug reports)
- enable regress tests (one test is failing)
- don't clobber LDFLAGS

The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

The patch for regress tests could probably be pushed upstream.



--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

universal-ctags.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Rafael Sadowski
On Fri Mar 17, 2017 at 07:43:10PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Alexandr Shadchin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> (Cc'ing Alexandr, the maintainer of devel/ectags.)
> >>
> >> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
> >>
> >> > Hi all,
> >> >
> >> > please find attach a maintained ctags implementation.
> >> >
> >> > $ pkg/DESCR
> >> > universal-ctags has the objective of continuing the development from what
> >> > existed in the Sourceforge area. The goal of the project is preparing and
> >> > maintaining common/unified space where people interested in making ctags
> >> better
> >> > can work together.
> >>
> >> There are a few things that caught my eye, but first: shouldn't this
> >> replace devel/ectags?  (IIUC ectags is exuberant ctags, the sourceforge
> >> project mentioned in DESCR, with no release since 2009).
> >>
> >> --
> >> jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE
> >>
> >
> > It would be nice. ectags is old and contain bugs.
>
> upstream had a discussion about this:
>
>   https://github.com/universal-ctags/ctags/issues/446
>
> The tags file format seems compatible with ectags, but I don't know what
> are the differences between ectags and uctags. I'll leave the question
> to ectags users.
>
> The updated port contains the following changes:
> - move to devel, like ectags.  I don't think it fits in sysutils or
>   textproc
Okay for me.

> - afaik CONFIGURE_ARGS --prefix=${LOCALBASE} --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/etc
>   were no-op.  Is there a reason to specify them?

Maybe from an old version. universal-ctags has been living for a long
time in openbsd-wip.

> - embed the git commit in the build (after all, it's not a release, and
>   it could help upstream bug reports)

Nice!

> - enable regress tests (one test is failing)

... also with me.

> - don't clobber LDFLAGS
>
> The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
> default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
> need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.
>

Nice idea, please find attached an extended version of your last
tarball:

- add multibyte FLAVOR (If you don't like the name, feel free to rename
  it)
- add gsort in pre-test

Runtime test on amd64 in:
- /usr/ports/pobj/firefox-52.0/firefox-52.0
- /usr/ports/pobj/chromium-57.0.2987.110/chromium-57.0.2987.110

> The patch for regress tests could probably be pushed upstream.
>
I'll push it upstream.

As always thank you jca!

Rafael Sadowksi

universal-ctags.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri Mar 17, 2017 at 07:43:10PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

[...]

>> The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
>> default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
>> need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.
>>
>
> Nice idea, please find attached an extended version of your last
> tarball:
>
> - add multibyte FLAVOR (If you don't like the name, feel free to rename
>   it)
Upstream calls the option "--enable-iconv".  Let's name this flavor
"iconv", like it is done for net/rsync.  I also tweaked DESCR a bit to
describe the features of the tool rather than the project around it.

I think this could be imported.  Can I get another review?


--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

universal-ctags.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Fri Mar 17, 2017 at 07:43:10PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
>>> default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
>>> need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.
>>>
>>
>> Nice idea, please find attached an extended version of your last
>> tarball:
>>
>> - add multibyte FLAVOR (If you don't like the name, feel free to rename
>>   it)
>
> Upstream calls the option "--enable-iconv".  Let's name this flavor
> "iconv", like it is done for net/rsync.  I also tweaked DESCR a bit to
> describe the features of the tool rather than the project around it.
>
> I think this could be imported.  Can I get another review?

ping

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: NEW: sysutils/universal-ctags

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> On Fri Mar 17, 2017 at 07:43:10PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>> The regress tests show that multibyte support is not built. (by
>>>> default?)  Should it be enabled?  In a FLAVOR maybe?  No multibyte = no
>>>> need for iconv = no need to tweak CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Nice idea, please find attached an extended version of your last
>>> tarball:
>>>
>>> - add multibyte FLAVOR (If you don't like the name, feel free to rename
>>>   it)
>>
>> Upstream calls the option "--enable-iconv".  Let's name this flavor
>> "iconv", like it is done for net/rsync.  I also tweaked DESCR a bit to
>> describe the features of the tool rather than the project around it.
>>
>> I think this could be imported.  Can I get another review?
>
> ping
Ahem, looks like I sent the wrong tarball (thanks Stuart).

Here's one that hopefully matches better the changed described above.
Reviews/oks welcome, but import time should probably happen after 6.1 is
tagged.



--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

universal-ctags.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
Loading...