NEW: sysutils/coreboot-utils

Klemens Nanni-2
Here's a start for something I've wanted for a while already:  a small
collection of selected tools I need to manipulate firmware images.

This includes extracting/adding certain regions, changing files inside
the coreboot file system, swapping payloads, dumping/analyzing specific
parts, etc.

The number of tools at upstream is huge and many of them are platform
specific, require patches or simply don't work at platforms other than
Linux, but with such a package I no loner have to spin up Linux VMs to
tinker around unless I want to build new images.

I have patches for other tools around but those need polishing, so this
is the basic package with generic handling for tools;  adding new ones
is trivial--perhaps this enables other interested users to add their
favourite tool?

        Information for inst:coreboot-utils-4.11

        Comment:
        collection of utilities to work with firmware images

        coreboot is an extended firmware platform that delivers a lightning fast and
        secure boot experience on modern computers and embedded systems. As an Open
        Source project it provides auditability and maximum control over technology.

        While it is not (yet) possible to build coreboot firmware on OpenBSD, this
        package contains the following utilities to work with existing images:

        * ifdtool Extract and dump Intel Firmware Descriptor information

        Maintainer: Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]>

        WWW: https://coreboot.org

Feedback? OK?

coreboot-utils.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: sysutils/coreboot-utils

Klemens Nanni-2
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:41:40PM +0100, Klemens Nanni wrote:

> Here's a start for something I've wanted for a while already:  a small
> collection of selected tools I need to manipulate firmware images.
>
> This includes extracting/adding certain regions, changing files inside
> the coreboot file system, swapping payloads, dumping/analyzing specific
> parts, etc.
>
> The number of tools at upstream is huge and many of them are platform
> specific, require patches or simply don't work at platforms other than
> Linux, but with such a package I no loner have to spin up Linux VMs to
> tinker around unless I want to build new images.
>
> I have patches for other tools around but those need polishing, so this
> is the basic package with generic handling for tools;  adding new ones
> is trivial--perhaps this enables other interested users to add their
> favourite tool?
>
> Information for inst:coreboot-utils-4.11
>
> Comment:
> collection of utilities to work with firmware images

> coreboot is an extended firmware platform that delivers a lightning fast and
> secure boot experience on modern computers and embedded systems. As an Open
> Source project it provides auditability and maximum control over technology.
>
> While it is not (yet) possible to build coreboot firmware on OpenBSD, this
> package contains the following utilities to work with existing images:
>
> * ifdtool Extract and dump Intel Firmware Descriptor information
>
> Maintainer: Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]>
>
> WWW: https://coreboot.org
New tarball with MAKE_CMD now being inlined after feedback from laundry.

CC is now also being honored by all tools;  eventually I should fix
their Makefiles to not set certain variables in stone, but that needs to
be done with/in upstream.

This tarball now contains the following tools:

* cbmem      CBMEM parser to read e.g. timestamps and console log
* ectool     Dumps the RAM of a laptop's Embedded/Environmental Controller (EC)
* ifdtool    Extract and dump Intel Firmware Descriptor information

All three work perfectly on my X230.

Feedback?
OK to import and continue in-tree?

coreboot-utils.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: sysutils/coreboot-utils

Benoit Lecocq (blq)

ok benoit@ to import !