[NEW] net/onionshare

attila
Hi ports@,

Attached is a port OnionShare (https://onionshare.org).  It requires
the net/stem python3 flavor patch I posted earlier.  Both GUI and CLI
have been lightly tested.

$ cat pkg/DESCR
Tool for sharing files of any size anonymously over the Tor public
anonymity network.

It works by starting a web server, making it accessible as a Tor onion
service, and generating an unguessable URL to access and download the
files. It doesn't require setting up a server on the internet somewhere
or using a third party file-sharing service. The file on your own
computer and use a Tor onion service to make it temporarily accessible
over the internet. The other user just needs to use Tor Browser to
download the file from you.

Pax, -A
--
https://haqistan.net/~attila | attila@{stalphonsos.com,haqistan.net}
pgp: 0x62A729CF | C2CE 2487 03AC 4C2F 101D  09C1 4068 D5D5 62A7 29CF

onionshare.tgz (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] net/onionshare

attila

Rehi ports@,

> Attached is a port OnionShare (https://onionshare.org).  It requires
> the net/stem python3 flavor patch I posted earlier.  Both GUI and CLI
> have been lightly tested.
>
> $ cat pkg/DESCR
> Tool for sharing files of any size anonymously over the Tor public
> anonymity network.
>
> It works by starting a web server, making it accessible as a Tor onion
> service, and generating an unguessable URL to access and download the
> files. It doesn't require setting up a server on the internet somewhere
> or using a third party file-sharing service. The file on your own
> computer and use a Tor onion service to make it temporarily accessible
> over the internet. The other user just needs to use Tor Browser to
> download the file from you.
Ping w/updated port attached that depends on the newly renamed
net/py-stem3.

Pax, -A
--
https://haqistan.net/~attila | attila@{stalphonsos.com,haqistan.net}
pgp: 0x62A729CF | C2CE 2487 03AC 4C2F 101D  09C1 4068 D5D5 62A7 29CF

onionshare-2.tgz (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] net/onionshare

Klemens Nanni
On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 05:26:32PM -0600, attila wrote:

> > $ cat pkg/DESCR
> > Tool for sharing files of any size anonymously over the Tor public
> > anonymity network.
> >
> > It works by starting a web server, making it accessible as a Tor onion
> > service, and generating an unguessable URL to access and download the
> > files. It doesn't require setting up a server on the internet somewhere
> > or using a third party file-sharing service. The file on your own
> > computer and use a Tor onion service to make it temporarily accessible
> > over the internet. The other user just needs to use Tor Browser to
This is not a proper sentence.
> > download the file from you.
>
> Ping w/updated port attached that depends on the newly renamed
> net/py-stem3.

You should zap V and PKGNAME, set GH_TAGNAME=v1.1 and move GH_* right
beneath COMMENT; see infrastructure/templates/Makefile.template.

RUN_DEPENDS lacks net/tor.
onionshare-gui still starts but python will dump core when
/usr/local/bin/tor is missing. It also mentions our net/tor package as
"Tor that is bundled with OpenShare" which is misleading.

TEST_DEPENDS lacks net/py-stem and www/py-frozen-flask.

Otherwise at least the CLI version works for me. It would be nice imho
to split CLI and GUI into separate FLAVORS if possible.

Re: [NEW] net/onionshare

Jiri B-2
> > Attached is a port OnionShare (https://onionshare.org).  It requires
> > the net/stem python3 flavor patch I posted earlier.  Both GUI and CLI
> > have been lightly tested.
> >
> > $ cat pkg/DESCR
> > Tool for sharing files of any size anonymously over the Tor public
> > anonymity network.
> >
> > It works by starting a web server, making it accessible as a Tor onion
> > service, and generating an unguessable URL to access and download the
> > files. It doesn't require setting up a server on the internet somewhere
> > or using a third party file-sharing service. The file on your own
> > computer and use a Tor onion service to make it temporarily accessible
> > over the internet. The other user just needs to use Tor Browser to
> > download the file from you.
>
> Ping w/updated port attached that depends on the newly renamed
> net/py-stem3.

OMG, again these...

-                    if not gui_mode or common.get_platform() == 'Linux':
+                    if not gui_mode or common.platform_is_unixy():

Is this piece of sw really good enough to be trusted by people who really
depend on anonymity and bad quality of such sw could cause them serious
personal consequences?

Why are those diffs not pushed upstream?

j.

Re: [NEW] net/onionshare

On 2017/12/07 01:40, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> Otherwise at least the CLI version works for me. It would be nice imho
> to split CLI and GUI into separate FLAVORS if possible.

this would be multipackages rather than flavours.

Re: [NEW] net/onionshare

attila
Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OMG, again these...
>
> -                    if not gui_mode or common.get_platform() == 'Linux':
> +                    if not gui_mode or common.platform_is_unixy():

Yup, it is sometimes an uphill battle to get people with a Lin/Win/Mac
mindset to go beyond that, but engaging with them is better than not
IMHO.

> Is this piece of sw really good enough to be trusted by people who really
> depend on anonymity and bad quality of such sw could cause them serious
> personal consequences?

Onionshare is a much-used application in the PETs community, I suspect
because it is simple.  It is the simplest thing that a normal person
can do to make use of Tor: share a file.  It's included in TAILs and
is well-known.  I'd like it to be available under OpenBSD.

> Why are those diffs not pushed upstream?

Thanks for the nudge: https://github.com/micahflee/onionshare/pull/489

Pax, -A

Klemens Nanni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You should zap V and PKGNAME, set GH_TAGNAME=v1.1 and move GH_* right
> beneath COMMENT; see infrastructure/templates/Makefile.template.
>
> RUN_DEPENDS lacks net/tor.
> onionshare-gui still starts but python will dump core when
> /usr/local/bin/tor is missing. It also mentions our net/tor package as
> "Tor that is bundled with OpenShare" which is misleading.
>
> TEST_DEPENDS lacks net/py-stem and www/py-frozen-flask.

Attached is an updated port that addresses all of these comments.
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

> Otherwise at least the CLI version works for me. It would be nice imho
> to split CLI and GUI into separate FLAVORS if possible.

As sthen@ points out in a subsequent email, it seems like this should
be multi-packages and not flavors, but in any event I didn't have time
to address it.  Posting what I have in the hope that it is good enough
to go in and we can improve it later...

Pax, -A
--
https://haqistan.net/~attila | attila@{stalphonsos.com,haqistan.net}
pgp: 0x62A729CF | C2CE 2487 03AC 4C2F 101D  09C1 4068 D5D5 62A7 29CF

onionshare-3.tgz (4K) Download Attachment