NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Paul Irofti-4
Hi,

Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.

The current incarnation is done by robert@. I had a much more convoluted
version that did not work and depended on the Atlas math library (also
missing from OpenBSD) to be available. I plan on adding that as an
optimization in the future. I can also take maintainership of this if
Robert doesn't want to.

This would be very helpful to have for my Uni work, so OKs? :)

Thank you,
Paul

py-scikit-learn.tgz (10K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Paul Irofti-4
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:11:19AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.
>
> The current incarnation is done by robert@. I had a much more convoluted
> version that did not work and depended on the Atlas math library (also
> missing from OpenBSD) to be available. I plan on adding that as an
> optimization in the future. I can also take maintainership of this if
> Robert doesn't want to.
>
> This would be very helpful to have for my Uni work, so OKs? :)
>
> Thank you,
> Paul

Also available here:

https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-wip/tree/master/math/py-scikit-learn

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Paul Irofti-4
In reply to this post by Paul Irofti-4
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:11:19AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.
>
> The current incarnation is done by robert@. I had a much more convoluted
> version that did not work and depended on the Atlas math library (also
> missing from OpenBSD) to be available. I plan on adding that as an
> optimization in the future. I can also take maintainership of this if
> Robert doesn't want to.
>
> This would be very helpful to have for my Uni work, so OKs? :)
>
> Thank you,
> Paul
Updated to match kmos@ comments and changes to py-joblib.

py-scikit-learn.tgz (11K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Daniel Dickman


> On Aug 7, 2019, at 5:29 AM, Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:11:19AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
>> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
>> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.

Can share more details of what exactly is needed? I have diffs in the works for both of these.

>>
>> The current incarnation is done by robert@. I had a much more convoluted
>> version that did not work and depended on the Atlas math library (also
>> missing from OpenBSD) to be available. I plan on adding that as an
>> optimization in the future. I can also take maintainership of this if
>> Robert doesn't want to.
>>
>> This would be very helpful to have for my Uni work, so OKs? :)
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Paul
>
> Updated to match kmos@ comments and changes to py-joblib.
> <py-scikit-learn.tgz>

I’m in favor of getting scikit-learn into the tree.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Kurt Mosiejczuk-10
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:50:29AM -0400, Daniel Dickman wrote:

> >> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
> >> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
> >> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.

> Can share more details of what exactly is needed? I have diffs in the
> works for both of these.

I'm not sure that updates are needed to those. I looked and
even our current versions are claimed to be OK for the newer
py-scikit-learn. What Paul did say to me was that the newer p-s-l tries
to use OpenMP. Which we don't support. I tried and it does fail looking
for omp.h. The newer version doesn't seem to obey the environment
variable this one does. (It looks like the code is there though).

> I'm in favor of getting scikit-learn into the tree.

I'm in favor too. I'd like to get at least some of the regression tests
working though.

--Kurt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Paul Irofti-4
In reply to this post by Daniel Dickman
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:50:29AM -0400, Daniel Dickman wrote:

>
>
> > On Aug 7, 2019, at 5:29 AM, Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:11:19AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
> >> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
> >> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.
>
> Can share more details of what exactly is needed? I have diffs in the works for both of these.

I thought numpy needed an update because of the deprecated API warnings
during scikit-learn build. But I was mistaken.

> >> The current incarnation is done by robert@. I had a much more convoluted
> >> version that did not work and depended on the Atlas math library (also
> >> missing from OpenBSD) to be available. I plan on adding that as an
> >> optimization in the future. I can also take maintainership of this if
> >> Robert doesn't want to.
> >>
> >> This would be very helpful to have for my Uni work, so OKs? :)
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Paul
> >
> > Updated to match kmos@ comments and changes to py-joblib.
> > <py-scikit-learn.tgz>
>
> I’m in favor of getting scikit-learn into the tree.

I think we can work the details inside the tree. scikit-learn has an
infinity of regression tests and we will probably fail at some. I plan
to improve the port with Atlas support and perhaps OpenMP. But first I
need to be able to boot into OpenBSD on a daily basis again :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Paul Irofti-4
In reply to this post by Kurt Mosiejczuk-10
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 12:49:06PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 10:50:29AM -0400, Daniel Dickman wrote:
>
> > >> Here is the shockingly missing port for py-scikit-learn. It is an older
> > >> version. The last to support python2.7. I plan on updating to 21.3
> > >> afterwards, but that needs some other updates to numpy and scipy.
>
> > Can share more details of what exactly is needed? I have diffs in the
> > works for both of these.
>
> I'm not sure that updates are needed to those. I looked and
> even our current versions are claimed to be OK for the newer
> py-scikit-learn. What Paul did say to me was that the newer p-s-l tries
> to use OpenMP. Which we don't support. I tried and it does fail looking
> for omp.h. The newer version doesn't seem to obey the environment
> variable this one does. (It looks like the code is there though).

It is a mistake in the 21.3 tarbal that was corrected in master. The
next release will probably be proper.

https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/14332

> > I'm in favor of getting scikit-learn into the tree.
>
> I'm in favor too. I'd like to get at least some of the regression tests
> working though.

I agree we need to get the regress tests working. But can't we do that
in tree? :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Kurt Mosiejczuk-10
On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 09:52:05AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:

> > I'm in favor too. I'd like to get at least some of the regression
> > tests working though.

> I agree we need to get the regress tests working. But can't we do that
> in tree? :)

OK. Got it. It's a bit gross, but 1) It won't just break like the
existing one would have when we cranked to 6.6-beta and 2) it will shake
out someone who knows a slightly better answer to weigh in.

The line to make it work is:

MODPY_TEST_DIR = ${WRKSRC}/lib.openbsd-`uname -r`-${ARCH}-${MODPY_VERSION}

More than happy to hear how I could do that easier/better.

The other change I made was to drop the version numbers off the dependencies.
We already have greater versions than all those numbers in the tree, so I
don't see the need for that.

I've attached the changed tarball. Consider the port OK kmos

--Kurt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: math/py-scikit-learn

Kurt Mosiejczuk-10
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 01:08:28AM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 09:52:05AM +0300, Paul Irofti wrote:

> > > I'm in favor too. I'd like to get at least some of the regression
> > > tests working though.

> > I agree we need to get the regress tests working. But can't we do that
> > in tree? :)

> OK. Got it. It's a bit gross, but 1) It won't just break like the
> existing one would have when we cranked to 6.6-beta and 2) it will shake
> out someone who knows a slightly better answer to weigh in.

> The line to make it work is:

> MODPY_TEST_DIR = ${WRKSRC}/lib.openbsd-`uname -r`-${ARCH}-${MODPY_VERSION}

> More than happy to hear how I could do that easier/better.

> The other change I made was to drop the version numbers off the dependencies.
> We already have greater versions than all those numbers in the tree, so I
> don't see the need for that.

> I've attached the changed tarball. Consider the port OK kmos

Two things I forgot:

1) OK once py-joblibs gets imported.

2) I forgot to attach the changed tarball.

--Kurt

py-scikit-learn-kmos.tgz (10K) Download Attachment