NEW: mail/dma

Brian Callahan-5
Hi ports --

Attached is a new port, mail/dma. dma is the DragonFly Mail Agent, the
tiny little mailer program from DragonFly BSD.

---
pkg/DESCR:
dma is a small Mail Transport Agent (MTA), designed for home and office
use. It accepts mails from locally installed Mail User Agents (MUA) and
delivers the mails either locally or to a remote destination. Remote
delivery includes several features like TLS/SSL support and SMTP
authentication.

dma is not intended as a replacement for real, big MTAs like sendmail(8)
or postfix(1). Consequently, dma does not listen on port 25 for incoming
connections.
---

---
pkg/README:
$OpenBSD$

| Running ${PKGSTEM} on OpenBSD

dma
===
Below is an example /etc/mailer.conf that will work with dma.

sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/dma
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/dma
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/dma
hoststat        /usr/local/sbin/dma
purgestat       /usr/local/sbin/dma
---

It works well on amd64, where I use it as a way to send patches to
mailing lists via `git send-email'. I did a test build with base-gcc on
amd64 too and it was OK.

Notably, dma is not a daemon. But nonetheless I took out a user/group
combo for it (user.list email forthcoming).

OK?

~Brian

dma.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: mail/dma

Klemens Nanni-2
On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00:21PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
> Attached is a new port, mail/dma. dma is the DragonFly Mail Agent, the tiny
> little mailer program from DragonFly BSD.
Looks fine to me, see comments below.

> pkg/README:
> $OpenBSD$
> Below is an example /etc/mailer.conf that will work with dma.
How about providing this as an example config under the usual path?
Also, there's ${WRKSRC}/dma.conf that might be worth shipping.

Regarding your do-install target: the comment does not really help, it
merely makes me look why you're doing this instead of explaining it in
the first place.

That said, have you seen ${WRKSRC}/bsd/dma/Makefile?

Re: NEW: mail/dma

Brian Callahan-5

On 7/28/19 4:11 PM, Klemens Nanni wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00:21PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> Attached is a new port, mail/dma. dma is the DragonFly Mail Agent, the tiny
>> little mailer program from DragonFly BSD.
> Looks fine to me, see comments below.
>
>> pkg/README:
>> $OpenBSD$
>> Below is an example /etc/mailer.conf that will work with dma.
> How about providing this as an example config under the usual path?
> Also, there's ${WRKSRC}/dma.conf that might be worth shipping.
Added mailer.conf as an example config.
I thought I had included dma.conf but I guess not. It's there now. Both
dma.conf and auth.conf are @sample'd into the correct place
(${SYSCONFDIR}/dma/) but I chose not to @sample mailer.conf, as systems
come with a /etc/mailer.conf by default.

> Regarding your do-install target: the comment does not really help, it
> merely makes me look why you're doing this instead of explaining it in
> the first place.
>
> That said, have you seen ${WRKSRC}/bsd/dma/Makefile?

I did. This port is my own fork of dma because of a bunch of
FreeBSD/DFly compat that had to be included and I would have to modify
either Makefile no matter which way I went so I chose to modify
${WRKSRC}/Makefile to make my life easier. So I simply did the right
thing for an install target in ${WRKSRC}/Makefile too now so the
do-install target goes away.

Additionally, there are some fixes in the updated attached tarball.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 09:19:48PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
> Added mailer.conf as an example config.
> I thought I had included dma.conf but I guess not. It's there now. Both
> dma.conf and auth.conf are @sample'd into the correct place
> (${SYSCONFDIR}/dma/) but I chose not to @sample mailer.conf, as systems come
> with a /etc/mailer.conf by default.
Seems good.

> I did. This port is my own fork of dma because of a bunch of FreeBSD/DFly
> compat that had to be included and I would have to modify either Makefile no
> matter which way I went so I chose to modify ${WRKSRC}/Makefile to make my
> life easier. So I simply did the right thing for an install target in
> ${WRKSRC}/Makefile too now so the do-install target goes away.
>
> Additionally, there are some fixes in the updated attached tarball.
Your new tarball lacks a `do-install' target but has no patches to any
Makefile, does that mean you incorporated the fixes into your tarball?

A bit confusing because I have no way to tell which bits came from
upsreamand which ones you added/modified.

That said, if it's your fork I'd prefer upstream (you) to carry
modifications instead of having them under patches/ in the port, but
some from of comment or DESCR addition stating that could be helpful.
Especially since you link to Dragonfly's official site as HOMEPAGE, not
yours.

Re: NEW: mail/dma

Brian Callahan-5

On 8/1/19 2:16 PM, Klemens Nanni wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 09:19:48PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> Added mailer.conf as an example config.
>> I thought I had included dma.conf but I guess not. It's there now. Both
>> dma.conf and auth.conf are @sample'd into the correct place
>> (${SYSCONFDIR}/dma/) but I chose not to @sample mailer.conf, as systems come
>> with a /etc/mailer.conf by default.
> Seems good.
>
>> I did. This port is my own fork of dma because of a bunch of FreeBSD/DFly
>> compat that had to be included and I would have to modify either Makefile no
>> matter which way I went so I chose to modify ${WRKSRC}/Makefile to make my
>> life easier. So I simply did the right thing for an install target in
>> ${WRKSRC}/Makefile too now so the do-install target goes away.
>>
>> Additionally, there are some fixes in the updated attached tarball.
> Your new tarball lacks a `do-install' target but has no patches to any
> Makefile, does that mean you incorporated the fixes into your tarball?

Correct.

> A bit confusing because I have no way to tell which bits came from
> upsreamand which ones you added/modified.
>
> That said, if it's your fork I'd prefer upstream (you) to carry
> modifications instead of having them under patches/ in the port, but
> some from of comment or DESCR addition stating that could be helpful.
> Especially since you link to Dragonfly's official site as HOMEPAGE, not
> yours.

Notably because I don't have a homepage for it :) I could throw up a
github fork if that makes things easier for people. Either way, the DFly
site is a better HOMEPAGE than a github page. But I could leave a note
in DESCR saying that it's a fork that sounds good.

~Brian

Re: NEW: mail/dma

Klemens Nanni-2
On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 02:59:36PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
> Notably because I don't have a homepage for it :) I could throw up a github
> fork if that makes things easier for people. Either way, the DFly site is a
> better HOMEPAGE than a github page. But I could leave a note in DESCR saying
> that it's a fork that sounds good.
Either way is fine with me as long as things are clear and obvious to
users.

Codewise your port checks out, so feel free to import with my OK once
DESCR has been amended or so.