NEW: lang/ocaml-camlp5

Brian Callahan-3
Hi ports --

Attached is a new port, lang/ocaml-camlp5. Camlp5 is an OCaml
Preprocessor and Pretty-Printer.
A quick perusal of the archives indicates that this piece of software
has been proposed numerous times, as far back as 2010, yet has never
been imported. The archives are scarce on reasons why it wasn't ever
imported, but it seems like it has something to do with math/coq.
Looking at Coq, the latest version says that Camlp4 no longer works,
only Camlp5. And Camlp5 doesn't conflict with Camlp4, so let's say we're
future-proofing for whenever someone comes along who wants to update
math/coq.

---
pkg/DESCR:
Camlp5 is a preprocessor and pretty-printer for OCaml programs. It also
provides parsing and printing tools.

As a preprocessor, it allows one to:
* extend the syntax of OCaml,
* redefine the whole syntax of the language.

As a pretty printer, it allows one to:
* display OCaml programs in an elegant way,
* convert from one syntax to another,
* check the results of syntax extensions.

Camlp5 also provides some parsing and pretty printing tools:
* extensible grammars
* extensible printers
* stream parsers and lexers
* pretty print module

It works as a shell command and can also be used in the OCaml toplevel.
---

Run tested on amd64 and build tested on armv7. But as this is the first
time I'm working with OCaml, more experienced eyes appreciated.

OK?

~Brian

ocaml-camlp5.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: lang/ocaml-camlp5

Kenneth R Westerback-2
On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 07:12:01PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:

> Hi ports --
>
> Attached is a new port, lang/ocaml-camlp5. Camlp5 is an OCaml Preprocessor
> and Pretty-Printer.
> A quick perusal of the archives indicates that this piece of software has
> been proposed numerous times, as far back as 2010, yet has never been
> imported. The archives are scarce on reasons why it wasn't ever imported,
> but it seems like it has something to do with math/coq. Looking at Coq, the
> latest version says that Camlp4 no longer works, only Camlp5. And Camlp5
> doesn't conflict with Camlp4, so let's say we're future-proofing for
> whenever someone comes along who wants to update math/coq.
>
> ---
> pkg/DESCR:
> Camlp5 is a preprocessor and pretty-printer for OCaml programs. It also
> provides parsing and printing tools.
>
> As a preprocessor, it allows one to:
> * extend the syntax of OCaml,
> * redefine the whole syntax of the language.
>
> As a pretty printer, it allows one to:
> * display OCaml programs in an elegant way,
> * convert from one syntax to another,
> * check the results of syntax extensions.
>
> Camlp5 also provides some parsing and pretty printing tools:
> * extensible grammars
> * extensible printers
> * stream parsers and lexers
> * pretty print module
>
> It works as a shell command and can also be used in the OCaml toplevel.
> ---
>
> Run tested on amd64 and build tested on armv7. But as this is the first time
> I'm working with OCaml, more experienced eyes appreciated.
>
> OK?
>
> ~Brian

I am not the definitive Ocaml guy, but I have touched it in the
past. Most recently in removing a large number of ocaml programming
ports in favour of letting people compile current software from opam,

I sense camlp5 falls into this category, so I would be mildly against
adding this port. I keep hoping opam 2.0 gets released soon and we can
consider using its new functionality to build most if not all ocaml
ports rather than manually maintain each individual program that uses
ocaml.

I thought his might be a topic of discussion at p2k18 in Nantes. :-)

.... Ken

Re: NEW: lang/ocaml-camlp5

Brian Callahan-3
Hi Ken --

On 1/28/2018 7:28 PM, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 07:12:01PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> Hi ports --
>>
>> Attached is a new port, lang/ocaml-camlp5. Camlp5 is an OCaml Preprocessor
>> and Pretty-Printer.
>> A quick perusal of the archives indicates that this piece of software has
>> been proposed numerous times, as far back as 2010, yet has never been
>> imported. The archives are scarce on reasons why it wasn't ever imported,
>> but it seems like it has something to do with math/coq. Looking at Coq, the
>> latest version says that Camlp4 no longer works, only Camlp5. And Camlp5
>> doesn't conflict with Camlp4, so let's say we're future-proofing for
>> whenever someone comes along who wants to update math/coq.
>>
>> ---
>> pkg/DESCR:
>> Camlp5 is a preprocessor and pretty-printer for OCaml programs. It also
>> provides parsing and printing tools.
>>
>> As a preprocessor, it allows one to:
>> * extend the syntax of OCaml,
>> * redefine the whole syntax of the language.
>>
>> As a pretty printer, it allows one to:
>> * display OCaml programs in an elegant way,
>> * convert from one syntax to another,
>> * check the results of syntax extensions.
>>
>> Camlp5 also provides some parsing and pretty printing tools:
>> * extensible grammars
>> * extensible printers
>> * stream parsers and lexers
>> * pretty print module
>>
>> It works as a shell command and can also be used in the OCaml toplevel.
>> ---
>>
>> Run tested on amd64 and build tested on armv7. But as this is the first time
>> I'm working with OCaml, more experienced eyes appreciated.
>>
>> OK?
>>
>> ~Brian
>>
> I am not the definitive Ocaml guy, but I have touched it in the
> past. Most recently in removing a large number of ocaml programming
> ports in favour of letting people compile current software from opam,
>
> I sense camlp5 falls into this category, so I would be mildly against
> adding this port. I keep hoping opam 2.0 gets released soon and we can
> consider using its new functionality to build most if not all ocaml
> ports rather than manually maintain each individual program that uses
> ocaml.
>
> I thought his might be a topic of discussion at p2k18 in Nantes. :-)
>
> .... Ken

And that shows how little I know about the OCaml world :)
Your proposal sounds great if it can be made to happen, so I'd be fine
on holding off on this, unless someone really really wants to update the
lang/compcert compiler port right now, as that's the only thing I can
think of that would need this new port.

I can't make it to Nantes, but I'd be happy to chip in some of the work
effort if that's the route that's decided upon.

~Brian