NEW: htop 2.0.0

Pedro de Oliveira-2
Hi,

Attached is a new port for sysutils/htop.The new 2.0.0 release now
supports OpenBSD.
It's my first port, so be easy!

Any comments? OK to import?

Regards,
Pedro de Oliveira

htop.tgz (988 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Stuart Henderson
On 2016/02/12 01:16, Pedro de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a new port for sysutils/htop.The new 2.0.0 release now
> supports OpenBSD.
> It's my first port, so be easy!
>
> Any comments? OK to import?

It's not OK to import anything at at the moment, see
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=145460329517278&w=2.

Please start by fixing the errors reported by portcheck.

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Ian Darwin

On 2016-02-11 8:16 PM, Pedro de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a new port for sysutils/htop.The new 2.0.0 release now
> supports OpenBSD.
> It's my first port, so be easy!
>
> Any comments? OK to import?

Again, http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=145460329517278&w=2

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Michael McConville-3
Pedro de Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a new port for sysutils/htop.The new 2.0.0 release now
> supports OpenBSD.
> It's my first port, so be easy!
>
> Any comments? OK to import?
>
> Regards,
> Pedro de Oliveira

Hi, Pedro.

I wrote the OpenBSD-specific htop code. I was planning on making a
proper port ASAP; thanks for beating me to it!  :-)  I'll try to review
it this weekend.

It's too late to get it into 5.9, sadly. This gives us more time to
improve the OS-specific code, though.

If you want to help with that, you could review and test this patch by
juanfra@:

https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376

Thanks again,
Michael

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 08:53:42PM -0500, Michael McConville wrote:

> Pedro de Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached is a new port for sysutils/htop.The new 2.0.0 release now
> > supports OpenBSD.
> > It's my first port, so be easy!
> >
> > Any comments? OK to import?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pedro de Oliveira
>
> Hi, Pedro.
>
> I wrote the OpenBSD-specific htop code. I was planning on making a
> proper port ASAP; thanks for beating me to it!  :-)  I'll try to review
> it this weekend.
>
> It's too late to get it into 5.9, sadly. This gives us more time to
> improve the OS-specific code, though.
>
> If you want to help with that, you could review and test this patch by
> juanfra@:
>
> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376

I've seeing a bunch of double-free and use-after-free in htop. Please,
run your tests with "MALLOC_OPTIONS=CFGJU htop" and fix the code
yourself in the upstream github repo if you can.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Pedro de Oliveira-2
Hi again,

Here is an updated version, with two patches from github, it now also
passes portcheck.
I believe that in the next version both patches will already be in upstream.

https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/398
https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376

htop.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:47:54PM +0000, Pedro de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Here is an updated version, with two patches from github, it now also
> passes portcheck.
> I believe that in the next version both patches will already be in upstream.
>
> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/398
> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376

I've attached an updated version of your port. You forgot to
double-check some parts :)

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> I've seeing a bunch of double-free and use-after-free in htop. Please,
> run your tests with "MALLOC_OPTIONS=CFGJU htop" and fix the code
> yourself in the upstream github repo if you can.

Hm. I've been running it with a brutal malloc.conf for more than a day
with no issues. How immediately and regularly are you seeing these
errors? Are you running something process-intensive like dpb on the
machine?

We fixed a few memleaks recently. Maybe this is related.

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Michael McConville-3
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 06:04:29PM -0500, Michael McConville wrote:
> > Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> > > I've seeing a bunch of double-free and use-after-free in htop.
> > > Please, run your tests with "MALLOC_OPTIONS=CFGJU htop" and fix
> > > the code yourself in the upstream github repo if you can.
> >
> > Hm. I've been running it with a brutal malloc.conf for more than a
> > day with no issues. How immediately and regularly are you seeing
> > these errors? Are you running something process-intensive like dpb
> > on the machine?
>
> Yes. Sometimes I just see the crash when I change some option.
> Unfortunately, I only saved the coredump from the crash which I
> reported.

I see. I take a pretty tedu approach to htop - the only command I use is
'q'. This may change at some point, but I can't be trusted to maintain
the less common features. I pulled the stub code from the FreeBSD port,
but in at least one case it's been insufficient and led to a null
pointer deref.

> > We fixed a few memleaks recently. Maybe this is related.
>
> Maybe. If you look the port which I sent to Pedro, I disabled the
> stripping of symbols, so we could import the port after of the cvs
> lock and to get better reports from the users. We can't test every
> corner case in htop.
>
> IMHO, the port is good enough as-is now.

Yeah, I wasn't too upset that it missed the 5.9 lock for this reason.
Six months of -current testing will be useful.

Fwd: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Amit Kulkarni-5
This fell through the cracks. Can somebody please import it now that ports
is unlocked?

thanks

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 09:47:54PM +0000, Pedro de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Here is an updated version, with two patches from github, it now also
> passes portcheck.
> I believe that in the next version both patches will already be in
upstream.

> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/398
> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376

I've attached an updated version of your port. You forgot to
double-check some parts :)

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Hi, Pedro.
> >>
> >> I wrote the OpenBSD-specific htop code. I was planning on making a
> >> proper port ASAP; thanks for beating me to it!  :-)  I'll try to review
> >> it this weekend.
> >>
> >> It's too late to get it into 5.9, sadly. This gives us more time to
> >> improve the OS-specific code, though.
> >>
> >> If you want to help with that, you could review and test this patch by
> >> juanfra@:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/hishamhm/htop/pull/376
> >
> > I've seeing a bunch of double-free and use-after-free in htop. Please,
> > run your tests with "MALLOC_OPTIONS=CFGJU htop" and fix the code
> > yourself in the upstream github repo if you can.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

htop.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> writes:

> This fell through the cracks. Can somebody please import it now that ports
> is unlocked?

Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
that there were unsolved issues:

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:28:52PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > This fell through the cracks. Can somebody please import it now that ports
> > is unlocked?
>
> Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
> that there were unsolved issues:

I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
better bug report to upstream.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

htop.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Amit Kulkarni-5

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:28:52PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> > Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > This fell through the cracks. Can somebody please import it now that ports
> > > is unlocked?
> >
> > Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
> > that there were unsolved issues:

> I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
> default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
> better bug report to upstream.

Thanks for re-packaging! This looks way better than top.

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:28:52PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>> Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > This fell through the cracks. Can somebody please import it now that ports
>> > is unlocked?
>>
>> Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
>> that there were unsolved issues:

> I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
> default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
> better bug report to upstream.

Looks like bugs have magically vanished.  ok jca@ to import it,
I suggest you keep the debug symbols for now.

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
>>> that there were unsolved issues:

>> I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
>> default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
>> better bug report to upstream.
>
> Looks like bugs have magically vanished.  ok jca@ to import it,
> I suggest you keep the debug symbols for now.

While I think about it, please set MODPY_RUNDEP=No, python is only used
at build time py MakeHeaders.py.

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Amit Kulkarni-5
On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 3:12 AM, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

> ports
> >>
> >> Importing it now would perhaps get more bug reports, but we already know
> >> that there were unsolved issues:

> Please,
> >
> > I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
> > default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
> > better bug report to upstream.
>
> Looks like bugs have magically vanished.  ok jca@ to import it,
> I suggest you keep the debug symbols for now.

They have not vanished, they are there... But we can address them in-tree?
I am trying to devote some time to get this cleaned up in next few weeks.

Thanks

On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 12:13:20PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

> >> I've attached an updated port. Now it uses the "debug" target by
> >> default, so you can get a backtrace with the symbols included to send a
> >> better bug report to upstream.
> >
> > Looks like bugs have magically vanished.  ok jca@ to import it,
> > I suggest you keep the debug symbols for now.
>
> While I think about it, please set MODPY_RUNDEP=No, python is only used
> at build time py MakeHeaders.py.
I was not asking for OKs :P . I think that htop is not ready yet.

Tarball updated.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

htop.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: htop 2.0.0

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 12:13:20PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>> Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[hidden email]> writes:

>> > Looks like bugs have magically vanished.  ok jca@ to import it,
>> > I suggest you keep the debug symbols for now.
>>
>> While I think about it, please set MODPY_RUNDEP=No, python is only used
>> at build time py MakeHeaders.py.
>
> I was not asking for OKs :P .

Then what are you waiting for? :)

> I think that htop is not ready yet.

Software = bugs.  More people who use it = more chances for someone to
hit a bug, send a report, find a fix, etc.  I think you're being
conservative here.

Anyway, I don't care about htop, so I'll just shut up.

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 08:21:34PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> writes:

> >> While I think about it, please set MODPY_RUNDEP=No, python is only used
> >> at build time py MakeHeaders.py.
> >
> > I was not asking for OKs :P .
>
> Then what are you waiting for? :)

I'm just updating the tarball, so people doesn't test old code.

> > I think that htop is not ready yet.
>
> Software = bugs.  More people who use it = more chances for someone to
> hit a bug, send a report, find a fix, etc.  I think you're being
> conservative here.

There are a bunch of random crashes waiting for a fix: