NEW: graphics/p5-Image-ExifTool

patrick ~
I made a port of ExifTool for my use.  I find it more
useful than the p5-Image-EXIF port which is already
in the ports system.

Neat thing about this module is that it is written
entirely in Perl.  Also license is that of Perl according
to the README file:

  "This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the same terms as Perl itself."

I hope I've done this correctly :-)  So all comments
and helpful/constructive critisisms are welcome.

It has worked to the limited extend that I've needed
it to work on i386.  Basically, reading the EXIF data.

This is the description from the README file in the
distribution:
ExifTool provides an extensible set of perl modules to read and write meta
information in image, audio and video files.

ExifTool reads EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop
IRB, AFCP and ID3 meta information from JPG, JP2, TIFF, GIF, BMP, PICT,
QTIF, PNG, MNG, JNG, MIFF, PPM, PGM, PBM, XMP, EPS, PS, AI, PDF, PSD, ICC,
DCM, ACR, THM, CRW, CR2, ERF, MRW, NEF, PEF, ORF, RAF, RAW, SRF, SR2, MOS,
X3F and DNG images, MP3, WAV, WMA and AIFF audio files, and AVI, MOV, MP4
and WMV videos. ExifTool also extracts information from the maker notes of
many digital cameras by various manufacturers including Canon, Casio,
FujiFilm, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon,
Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Ricoh, Sanyo and Sigma/Foveon.

ExifTool writes EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, MakerNotes, ICC Profile,
Photoshop IRB and AFCP meta information to JPEG, TIFF, GIF, EPS, PS, PSD,
XMP, ICC, PPM, PGM, PBM, PNG, MNG, JNG, CRW, THM, CR2, ERF, MRW, NEF, PEF,
MOS and DNG images.

http://mail.yahoo.com

p5-Image-ExifTool.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: graphics/p5-Image-ExifTool

patrick ~

--- patrick ~ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made a port of ExifTool for my use.  I find it more
> useful than the p5-Image-EXIF port which is already
> in the ports system.

It just occurred to me, that the above statement could
be taken the wrong way.  I certainly didn't mean it in
an insulting manner.

What I did mean to say is that, Image-ExifTool gives me
a better visibility (access) to the EXIF data (e.g., tag
values, description, group, value, etc), while Image-EXIF
only gives you a string to string mapping of EXIF fields.
The latter seems to be geared more toward display of data
while the former allows my script to act on the EXIF data
fields in a more decisive and programmatic manner.

Just thought I should clarify that :-)

Cheers!
--patrick

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: NEW: graphics/p5-Image-ExifTool

steven mestdagh
patrick ~ [2006-04-28, 21:22:52]:

> I made a port of ExifTool for my use.  I find it more
> useful than the p5-Image-EXIF port which is already
> in the ports system.
>
> Neat thing about this module is that it is written
> entirely in Perl.  Also license is that of Perl according
> to the README file:
>
>   "This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>    modify it under the same terms as Perl itself."
>

> I hope I've done this correctly :-)  So all comments
> and helpful/constructive critisisms are welcome.
>
> It has worked to the limited extend that I've needed
> it to work on i386.  Basically, reading the EXIF data.

no problem on amd64.

you have CPAN in MASTER_SITES but this release is not available there.
maybe we want to go with the production release 6.00 instead of the
latest one?

you have a few unneeded lines in there (empty LIB_DEPENDS, post-patch)
and it looks like we can mark this as PKG_ARCH=*

steven

Re: NEW: graphics/p5-Image-ExifTool

patrick ~
Thanks for your feedback.

Suggested changes have been made:
 - Using version on CPAN: 6.00
 - Removed unused lines LIB_DEPENDS, post-patch
 - Marking PKG_ARCH= *
 - Adjusted DESCR file accordingly

Thanks!
--patrick