[NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Tom Murphy-7
Here's a port for mvdsv 0.32 which is a Quakeworld server.
It's kind of a sister port to games/ezquake except it only
runs as a server for Quakeworld clients to connect to.

The files distributed in this port are qwprogs.dat which is GPLv2
(under id Software's release) and a sample server.cfg file.

OK?

Thanks,
Tom

mvdsv.tgz (93K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Tom Murphy-7
I've updated the original tarball to move the info from
the DESCR into the README.

Again, this is a kind of sister port to games/ezquake.
It's only for hosting a Quakeworld server. You still need
the original Quake 1 data files that must be purchased with the
game.

Is this OK?

Thanks!
Tom

mvdsv.tgz (93K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Brian Callahan-3

On 08/14/18 16:30, Tom Murphy wrote:

> I've updated the original tarball to move the info from
> the DESCR into the README.
>
> Again, this is a kind of sister port to games/ezquake.
> It's only for hosting a Quakeworld server. You still need
> the original Quake 1 data files that must be purchased with the
> game.
>
> Is this OK?
>
> Thanks!
> Tom
I've made a number of changes to this. Make sure the pkg/* stuff is
still correct. That opening line to the pkg/DESCR sounds a little too
advertise-y for my tastes but maybe someone else will tell me it's fine.

~Brian

mvdsv.tgz (94K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Tom Murphy-7
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 04:59:54PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:

> On 08/14/18 16:30, Tom Murphy wrote:
> > I've updated the original tarball to move the info from
> > the DESCR into the README.
> >
> > Again, this is a kind of sister port to games/ezquake.
> > It's only for hosting a Quakeworld server. You still need
> > the original Quake 1 data files that must be purchased with the
> > game.
> >
> > Is this OK?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Tom
>
> I've made a number of changes to this. Make sure the pkg/* stuff is still
> correct. That opening line to the pkg/DESCR sounds a little too advertise-y
> for my tastes but maybe someone else will tell me it's fine.
>
> ~Brian

Looks good! I reworded the DESCR a little bit to make it sound less of
an "advertisement".

Updated tarball attached.

Thanks,
Tom

On 08/16/18 13:24, Tom Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 04:59:54PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:
>> On 08/14/18 16:30, Tom Murphy wrote:
>>> I've updated the original tarball to move the info from
>>> the DESCR into the README.
>>>
>>> Again, this is a kind of sister port to games/ezquake.
>>> It's only for hosting a Quakeworld server. You still need
>>> the original Quake 1 data files that must be purchased with the
>>> game.
>>>
>>> Is this OK?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tom
>> I've made a number of changes to this. Make sure the pkg/* stuff is still
>> correct. That opening line to the pkg/DESCR sounds a little too advertise-y
>> for my tastes but maybe someone else will tell me it's fine.
>>
>> ~Brian
>>
> Looks good! I reworded the DESCR a little bit to make it sound less of
> an "advertisement".
>
> Updated tarball attached.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I don't want to send a whole tarball back because all I did was change
the pkg/DESCR to:

```
MVDSV (MultiView Demo SerVer) is a QuakeWorld server that not only
offers a multiplayer environment, but also allows you to record demos
from every player's point of view as well as provide different game
modes.

While this package and the game server are open source, one still needs
to provide the original game assets from Quake, which is not open
source. You will need to purchase the original game to use this package.
```

For the first paragraph, it's just tweaking the tenses of the sentences
so they all agree. I really like this language for the second paragraph,
because it lets everyone know at a glance that the actual software being
distributed in the package is entirely open source, and therefore we can
distribute it in the first place, but just because this package is able
to be distributed doesn't make it useful--you'll have to supply this
other non-open source software yourself in order to make it useful.
Which lets users make easier decisions regarding whether or not to
install this package.

~Brian

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Frederic Cambus
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:24:51PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:

> > I've made a number of changes to this. Make sure the pkg/* stuff is still
> > correct. That opening line to the pkg/DESCR sounds a little too advertise-y
> > for my tastes but maybe someone else will tell me it's fine.
> >
> > ~Brian
> >
> Looks good! I reworded the DESCR a little bit to make it sound less of
> an "advertisement".
>
> Updated tarball attached.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have qwprogs.dat in files/, as it
means commiting a 196K binary file to CVS.

I think it would be better to package it and host it somewhere, and
download it as an additional distfile.

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Tom Murphy-7
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 10:38:21PM +0200, Frederic Cambus wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:24:51PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:
>
> > > I've made a number of changes to this. Make sure the pkg/* stuff is still
> > > correct. That opening line to the pkg/DESCR sounds a little too advertise-y
> > > for my tastes but maybe someone else will tell me it's fine.
> > >
> > > ~Brian
> > >
> > Looks good! I reworded the DESCR a little bit to make it sound less of
> > an "advertisement".
> >
> > Updated tarball attached.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have qwprogs.dat in files/, as it
> means commiting a 196K binary file to CVS.
>
> I think it would be better to package it and host it somewhere, and
> download it as an additional distfile.

Hi Frederic,

  The file is freely distributable (under GPLv2+ license), and there's
a copy up at:

https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat

  Would that be a sufficient place to get it or does it need to be hosted
somewhere else? I don't have the capability to do any long term hosting of
distfiles, unfortunately.

  -Tom

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Frederic Cambus
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:08:58PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:

> > I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have qwprogs.dat in files/, as it
> > means commiting a 196K binary file to CVS.
> >
> > I think it would be better to package it and host it somewhere, and
> > download it as an additional distfile.

>   The file is freely distributable (under GPLv2+ license), and there's
> a copy up at:
>
> https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat
>
>   Would that be a sufficient place to get it or does it need to be hosted
> somewhere else? I don't have the capability to do any long term hosting of
> distfiles, unfortunately.

Fetching non versioned files like this one is problematic in case the
content change at some point, so should be avoided.

I don't have a definitive answer on what should be done to move
this port forward, but I see three options:

1) Don't fetch and install the .dat file. I see in pkg/README that some
additional files are required to be manually installed anyway, so it
could be mentioned here. That's what the FreeBSD port is doing.

2) Create a versioned archive like qwprogs-20180914.tar.gz containing
the .dat file and licensing information, and host it somewhere.

3) Get the .dat file from the Quake repository, using a MASTER_SITES0
directive, look at emulators/ppsspp for an example. It's a bit wasteful
to fetch the whole repository just for one file, but it isn't that big
so that could be option and this solves the versioning problem.

In case the last two options are preferred, it might be a good idea to
use DIST_SUBDIR to group distfiles.

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/09/14 15:10, Frederic Cambus wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:08:58PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have qwprogs.dat in files/, as it
> > > means commiting a 196K binary file to CVS.
> > >
> > > I think it would be better to package it and host it somewhere, and
> > > download it as an additional distfile.
>
> >   The file is freely distributable (under GPLv2+ license), and there's
> > a copy up at:
> >
> > https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat
> >
> >   Would that be a sufficient place to get it or does it need to be hosted
> > somewhere else? I don't have the capability to do any long term hosting of
> > distfiles, unfortunately.
>
> Fetching non versioned files like this one is problematic in case the
> content change at some point, so should be avoided.
>
> I don't have a definitive answer on what should be done to move
> this port forward, but I see three options:
>
> 1) Don't fetch and install the .dat file. I see in pkg/README that some
> additional files are required to be manually installed anyway, so it
> could be mentioned here. That's what the FreeBSD port is doing.
>
> 2) Create a versioned archive like qwprogs-20180914.tar.gz containing
> the .dat file and licensing information, and host it somewhere.
>
> 3) Get the .dat file from the Quake repository, using a MASTER_SITES0
> directive, look at emulators/ppsspp for an example. It's a bit wasteful
> to fetch the whole repository just for one file, but it isn't that big
> so that could be option and this solves the versioning problem.

You don't need the entire repo, you can fetch the blob by commit id -
https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/raw/0023db327bc1db00068284b70e1db45857aeee35/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat

Either the file will need renaming using DISTFILES {} syntax, or download
it to a versioned subdirectory with DIST_SUBDIR, but that's easy enough to do.

Re: [NEW] games/mvdsv 0.32

Tom Murphy-7
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 02:59:49PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018/09/14 15:10, Frederic Cambus wrote:
> > Fetching non versioned files like this one is problematic in case the
> > content change at some point, so should be avoided.
> >
> > I don't have a definitive answer on what should be done to move
> > this port forward, but I see three options:
> >
> > 1) Don't fetch and install the .dat file. I see in pkg/README that some
> > additional files are required to be manually installed anyway, so it
> > could be mentioned here. That's what the FreeBSD port is doing.
> >
> > 2) Create a versioned archive like qwprogs-20180914.tar.gz containing
> > the .dat file and licensing information, and host it somewhere.
> >
> > 3) Get the .dat file from the Quake repository, using a MASTER_SITES0
> > directive, look at emulators/ppsspp for an example. It's a bit wasteful
> > to fetch the whole repository just for one file, but it isn't that big
> > so that could be option and this solves the versioning problem.
>
> You don't need the entire repo, you can fetch the blob by commit id -
> https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/raw/0023db327bc1db00068284b70e1db45857aeee35/QW/progs/qwprogs.dat
>
> Either the file will need renaming using DISTFILES {} syntax, or download
> it to a versioned subdirectory with DIST_SUBDIR, but that's easy enough to do.
Here's an updated tarball of the port. It now brings in qwprogs.dat
separately as DISTFILES and will copy it into the share directory.

I left the qwprogs.dat commit id variable in there just in case it ever changes.
(It probably won't.)

Thanks,
Tom

mvdsv.tgz (5K) Download Attachment