NEW: games/iortcw

Ryan Freeman
iortcw is an effort to provide a baseline RTCW (Return to Castle
Wolfenstein) engine with updated idtech3 engine-base from the ioquake3
project.

There is a single player, multiplayer, and dedicated server binary.

Tested single-player with my own ancient gamedata for this game, plus
the patch for 1.41 as indicated in the PKGREADME.  Unfortunately my
physical disc and CD-Key have long since disappeared, and the CD-Key
is required for multiplayer, so I could not test that mode.  The engine
seems to mention Steam, and GOG has the game for sale now as well:

https://www.gog.com/game/return_to_castle_wolfenstein

Tested on amd64-current with hours and hours of single-player game time
logged yesterday.  Unlike ioquake3, the COPYDIR location for gamedata
does not have an effect on this codebase, thus wrappers are provided
to relocate to ${PREFIX}/share/iortcw before launching the game.

Comments? OK?

-Ryan

iortcw.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: games/iortcw

Brian Callahan-3

On 10/28/18 2:36 PM, Ryan Freeman wrote:

> iortcw is an effort to provide a baseline RTCW (Return to Castle
> Wolfenstein) engine with updated idtech3 engine-base from the ioquake3
> project.
>
> There is a single player, multiplayer, and dedicated server binary.
>
> Tested single-player with my own ancient gamedata for this game, plus
> the patch for 1.41 as indicated in the PKGREADME.  Unfortunately my
> physical disc and CD-Key have long since disappeared, and the CD-Key
> is required for multiplayer, so I could not test that mode.  The engine
> seems to mention Steam, and GOG has the game for sale now as well:
>
> https://www.gog.com/game/return_to_castle_wolfenstein
>
> Tested on amd64-current with hours and hours of single-player game time
> logged yesterday.  Unlike ioquake3, the COPYDIR location for gamedata
> does not have an effect on this codebase, thus wrappers are provided
> to relocate to ${PREFIX}/share/iortcw before launching the game.
>
> Comments? OK?
>
> -Ryan

Some quick eye-glances:
A blank line between # $OpenBSD$ and ONLY_FOR_ARCHS would be nice.

The GH_* variables imply DISTNAME and HOMEPAGE for you (but a real
tarball would be better).

License is GPLv3+

The things in ${FILESDIR} should have their hardcoded /usr/local
replaced and then ${SUBST_CMD} them during install.

You have an -O3 floating around the build; should get rid of that.

pkg/PLIST has lots of things like:
share/iortcw/main/cgame.mp.amd64.so
and other entries with amd64 in them (are you sure your SUBST_VARS line
is right?).

~Brian

Re: NEW: games/iortcw

Ryan Freeman
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 04:50:41PM -0400, Brian Callahan wrote:

> On 10/28/18 2:36 PM, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> >iortcw is an effort to provide a baseline RTCW (Return to Castle
> >Wolfenstein) engine with updated idtech3 engine-base from the ioquake3
> >project.
> >
> >There is a single player, multiplayer, and dedicated server binary.
> >
> >Tested single-player with my own ancient gamedata for this game, plus
> >the patch for 1.41 as indicated in the PKGREADME.  Unfortunately my
> >physical disc and CD-Key have long since disappeared, and the CD-Key
> >is required for multiplayer, so I could not test that mode.  The engine
> >seems to mention Steam, and GOG has the game for sale now as well:
> >
> >https://www.gog.com/game/return_to_castle_wolfenstein
> >
> >Tested on amd64-current with hours and hours of single-player game time
> >logged yesterday.  Unlike ioquake3, the COPYDIR location for gamedata
> >does not have an effect on this codebase, thus wrappers are provided
> >to relocate to ${PREFIX}/share/iortcw before launching the game.
> >
> >Comments? OK?
> >
> >-Ryan
>
> Some quick eye-glances:
> A blank line between # $OpenBSD$ and ONLY_FOR_ARCHS would be nice.
>
> The GH_* variables imply DISTNAME and HOMEPAGE for you (but a real
> tarball would be better).
>
> License is GPLv3+
>
> The things in ${FILESDIR} should have their hardcoded /usr/local
> replaced and then ${SUBST_CMD} them during install.
>
> You have an -O3 floating around the build; should get rid of that.
>
> pkg/PLIST has lots of things like:
> share/iortcw/main/cgame.mp.amd64.so
> and other entries with amd64 in them (are you sure your SUBST_VARS
> line is right?).
>
> ~Brian
Thanks for the look, Brian!  Attached update port:

- Added blank line between $OpenBSD$ marker and ONLY_FOR_ARCHS
- Removed HOMEPAGE, but kept DISTNAME to prevent poorly-named distfile
  (no proper source release is available)
- Fixed license marker to GPLv3+
- Fixed hardcoded /usr/local in ${FILESDIR} scripts
- patched out -O3 from Makefiles (also removes -ffast-math as proposed
  upstream in a current pull request)
- Fixed pkg/PLIST so it refers to ${MACHINE_ARCH} instead of hardcoded
  amd64 appearing there

I added a remark to the PKGREADME as I don't believe we can play on the
multiplayer servers due to sv_pure 1 and our libs will likely never be
in the mp_bin.pk3 file used to designate a server pure or not.. However,
I was able to confirm using:

$ iowolfded +sv_pure 0 +map mp_beach

lets us run an OpenBSD server and iowolfmp will connect to it without
issue.

Also forgot in original post to thank @abieber as I stole some things
from his games/ioquake3 port in making this. :-)

-Ryan

iortcw.tar.gz (3K) Download Attachment