[NEW] fonts/various

George Rosamond
Greetings ports@

Here are more fonts for consideration, all from SIL.org. Many more
coming over the next week.

abyssinica: an Ethiopic Unicode script
andika: a clear sans serif Unicode font
charis: clear Unicode font for printers
dai-banna: Unicode font package for New Tai Lue characters
doulos: Unicode font for Roman and Cyrillic

Thanks

abyssinica.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
andika.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
charis.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
dai-banna.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
doulos.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] fonts/various

Anthony J. Bentley-4
Hi George,

George Rosamond writes:

> Greetings ports@
>
> Here are more fonts for consideration, all from SIL.org. Many more
> coming over the next week.
>
> abyssinica: an Ethiopic Unicode script
> andika: a clear sans serif Unicode font
> charis: clear Unicode font for printers
> dai-banna: Unicode font package for New Tai Lue characters
> doulos: Unicode font for Roman and Cyrillic
Thanks for submitting these. I've made a few changes to the ports:

- added PKG_ARCH = *
- most of the homepages have moved
- with some URL trickery there's no need to manually mirror the distfiles
- the license does look like SIL OFL 1.1 to me, not a custom license

I think these are ready for import. Well, I'm not qualified to test
Ethiopian script. But the other ones certainly work. :)

ok?

--
Anthony J. Bentley

abyssinica.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment
andika.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment
charis.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment
dai-banna.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment
doulos.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] fonts/various

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2016/01/29 04:12, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> George Rosamond writes:
> > Greetings ports@
> >
> > Here are more fonts for consideration, all from SIL.org. Many more
> > coming over the next week.
> >
> > abyssinica: an Ethiopic Unicode script
> > andika: a clear sans serif Unicode font
> > charis: clear Unicode font for printers
> > dai-banna: Unicode font package for New Tai Lue characters
> > doulos: Unicode font for Roman and Cyrillic
>
> Thanks for submitting these. I've made a few changes to the ports:
>
> - added PKG_ARCH = *
> - most of the homepages have moved
> - with some URL trickery there's no need to manually mirror the distfiles
> - the license does look like SIL OFL 1.1 to me, not a custom license
>
> I think these are ready for import. Well, I'm not qualified to test
> Ethiopian script. But the other ones certainly work. :)
>
> ok?
>
> --
> Anthony J. Bentley

It's not entirely consistent at the moment, but most of our fonts either
have 'font'/'fonts' or the format (ttf/otf) in the package name, which
I think might be useful to do for these too. What does anyone else
think?

Re: [NEW] fonts/various

Anthony J. Bentley-4
Stuart Henderson writes:

> On 2016/01/29 04:12, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
> > Hi George,
> >
> > George Rosamond writes:
> > > Greetings ports@
> > >
> > > Here are more fonts for consideration, all from SIL.org. Many more
> > > coming over the next week.
> > >
> > > abyssinica: an Ethiopic Unicode script
> > > andika: a clear sans serif Unicode font
> > > charis: clear Unicode font for printers
> > > dai-banna: Unicode font package for New Tai Lue characters
> > > doulos: Unicode font for Roman and Cyrillic
> >
> > Thanks for submitting these. I've made a few changes to the ports:
> >
> > - added PKG_ARCH = *
> > - most of the homepages have moved
> > - with some URL trickery there's no need to manually mirror the distfiles
> > - the license does look like SIL OFL 1.1 to me, not a custom license
> >
> > I think these are ready for import. Well, I'm not qualified to test
> > Ethiopian script. But the other ones certainly work. :)
> >
> > ok?
> >
> > --
> > Anthony J. Bentley
>
> It's not entirely consistent at the moment, but most of our fonts either
> have 'font'/'fonts' or the format (ttf/otf) in the package name, which
> I think might be useful to do for these too. What does anyone else
> think?

George actually this exact question several months ago, and I suggested
to just use whatever's closest to upstream. It seems redundant to name
everything fonts/foo-fonts...

In particular, I *really* hate having to specify ttf/otf in the package
name, especially now that there are other font formats showing up in
packages (.ttc, .woff, ...). When I want a font, I just want the package
to install all formats that are likely to be necessary.

> Hi George,
>
> George Rosamond writes:
> > Looking at the current font names, some of the non-Latin ones (Farsi,
> > Arabic) aren't prepended with the ISO 639-1 two-letter language code,
> > while others (Russian, eg), are.
>
> I believe this is an artifact. The fonts with language prefixes use
> ja-, ko-, ru-, and zh-. Before the fonts/ category was created, these
> were kept in the japanese/, korean/, russian/, and chinese/ categories.
>
> > I have a bunch of font ports in-progress, including non-Latin fonts, and
> > was wondering what the correct nomenclature is.
>
> There is no standard nomenclature.
>
> - some fonts end in -font or -fonts (e.g., droid-fonts)
> - some fonts end in -ttf or -otf (e.g., ja-mplus-ttf)
> - some have both (e.g., linuxlibertine-fonts-otf)
> - some have neither (e.g., adobe-source-sans-pro)
>
> Really, you should just use whatever is closest to upstream's name for it.
>
> Personally I would prefer not to have separate packages for otf and ttf.

Re: [NEW] fonts/various

Anthony J. Bentley-4
Anthony J. Bentley writes:

> Hi George,
>
> George Rosamond writes:
> > Greetings ports@
> >
> > Here are more fonts for consideration, all from SIL.org. Many more
> > coming over the next week.
> >
> > abyssinica: an Ethiopic Unicode script
> > andika: a clear sans serif Unicode font
> > charis: clear Unicode font for printers
> > dai-banna: Unicode font package for New Tai Lue characters
> > doulos: Unicode font for Roman and Cyrillic
>
> Thanks for submitting these. I've made a few changes to the ports:
>
> - added PKG_ARCH = *
> - most of the homepages have moved
> - with some URL trickery there's no need to manually mirror the distfiles
> - the license does look like SIL OFL 1.1 to me, not a custom license
>
> I think these are ready for import. Well, I'm not qualified to test
> Ethiopian script. But the other ones certainly work. :)
>
> ok?
Anyone willing to ok these?