NEW: fonts/oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NEW: fonts/oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0

Jakub Skrzypnik-2
Hello,

This time I ported (or, more precisely, "repackaged") the fonts from
Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack project. These are actually accurate
redraws/rips of IBM PC (and clones) ROM fonts in TrueType form.

Best viewed in 12pt (16px) or 6pt (8px):

More information, preview and technical details:
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/readme/

From DESCR:

> Collection of ~180 font files in TrueType formats, resembling the
> original fonts from IBM PC computers and their clones.
>
> Available in CP437 codepage (Px437 prefix) and some of them covering
> most common Unicode regions (PxPlus prefix).

NOTE: There are also .FON (bitmap fonts) in this archive which can be
converted to PCF/BDF form by some obscure tools, but I didn't packaged
them, because xterm(1) (which might be your first application using
such fonts :) ) already supports Xft(3) and these fonts looks
pixel-accurate with proper sizes, no matter what FreeType knobs you set.

But there's an idea to add them lately as "console fonts" when fcambus@
is done with his pcvt work to remove that ugly Sun-lookalike
default font. We'll see.

oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0.tgz (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: fonts/oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0

Stuart Henderson
On 2017/06/16 23:18, Jakub Skrzypnik wrote:
> This time I ported (or, more precisely, "repackaged") the fonts from
> Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack project. These are actually accurate

The web page for them says "I do not claim any rights to the original
raster fonts on which this work is based", and "They are exact
duplicates of the original pixel fonts", and "The extra characters
were taken from international versions of the original hardware (if
available)".

It seems a bit of a stretch for someone who has converted them to
TTF to claim full copyright on them. Undoubtedly they have done a lot
of work sourcing, converting and designing missing international
characters, but it all feels like a derived work which would still
be subject to the original copyright which presumably would be owned
by companies like IBM and ATI.

None of this prevents them from going to ports with appropriate
PERMIT_* settings...

> But there's an idea to add them lately as "console fonts" when fcambus@
> is done with his pcvt work to remove that ugly Sun-lookalike
> default font. We'll see.

...but I think there's about zero chance of them going in the kernel
as console fonts.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: fonts/oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0

Jakub Skrzypnik-2
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 10:17:37 +0100
Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The web page for them says "I do not claim any rights to the original
> raster fonts on which this work is based", and "They are exact
> duplicates of the original pixel fonts", and "The extra characters
> were taken from international versions of the original hardware (if
> available)".
>
> It seems a bit of a stretch for someone who has converted them to
> TTF to claim full copyright on them. Undoubtedly they have done a lot
> of work sourcing, converting and designing missing international
> characters, but it all feels like a derived work which would still
> be subject to the original copyright which presumably would be owned
> by companies like IBM and ATI.
>
> None of this prevents them from going to ports with appropriate
> PERMIT_* settings...
I'm not interested in the whole copyright stuff behind the author's
side. He ripped these fonts, converted them and sometimes even redrawn
them completely (adding Unicode pages, for example). There's no point
in disccusing "that was based on some IBM PS/2 9000 Plus ROM font
manufactured 35 years ago! It's copyrighted!".

No, it isn't. I'm not distributing ROM images of character generator
from these machines and nobody should do. That's was an author's
problem to obtain them, and we're discussing the final product, which
is in fact licensed on CC-BY-SA license. So, IMHO it should retain its
PERMIT_PACKAGE_CDROM variable as is.

 
> > But there's an idea to add them lately as "console fonts" when
> > fcambus@ is done with his pcvt work to remove that ugly
> > Sun-lookalike default font. We'll see.  
>
> ...but I think there's about zero chance of them going in the kernel
> as console fonts.
>
There's no way to put them in standard distribution, of course (or, is
thereā€¦?). I meant adding them as a separate port containing the bitmap
data.

Attached an updated port, added myself as a maintainer, fixed spacing
and portcheck warnings.


oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: fonts/oldschool-pc-fonts-1.0

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2017/06/25 00:10, Jakub Skrzypnik wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 10:17:37 +0100
> Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The web page for them says "I do not claim any rights to the original
> > raster fonts on which this work is based", and "They are exact
> > duplicates of the original pixel fonts", and "The extra characters
> > were taken from international versions of the original hardware (if
> > available)".
> >
> > It seems a bit of a stretch for someone who has converted them to
> > TTF to claim full copyright on them. Undoubtedly they have done a lot
> > of work sourcing, converting and designing missing international
> > characters, but it all feels like a derived work which would still
> > be subject to the original copyright which presumably would be owned
> > by companies like IBM and ATI.
> >
> > None of this prevents them from going to ports with appropriate
> > PERMIT_* settings...
>
> I'm not interested in the whole copyright stuff behind the author's
> side. He ripped these fonts, converted them and sometimes even redrawn
> them completely (adding Unicode pages, for example). There's no point
> in disccusing "that was based on some IBM PS/2 9000 Plus ROM font
> manufactured 35 years ago! It's copyrighted!".
>
> No, it isn't. I'm not distributing ROM images of character generator
> from these machines and nobody should do. That's was an author's
> problem to obtain them, and we're discussing the final product, which
> is in fact licensed on CC-BY-SA license. So, IMHO it should retain its
> PERMIT_PACKAGE_CDROM variable as is.

That is ridiculous. You can't steal someone's copyrighted artwork and
get around the law by repackaging and distributing it in a different
format.

Also it isn't about *you* distributing it, it's about OpenBSD distributing
it.