NEW: fastest_cvsup

Julien Dhaille
Hello.
This is port coming from FreeBSD, people should know it.
Tested on amd64. There is many references to FreeBSD within,
so, tell me if a patch is needed.
Thank

--
Julien Dhaille

fastest_cvsup_port.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: fastest_cvsup

Christian Weisgerber
Julien Dhaille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is port coming from FreeBSD, people should know it.
> Tested on amd64. There is many references to FreeBSD within,
> so, tell me if a patch is needed.

I don't see the point of this port.  There isn't even a list of
OpenBSD CVSup servers anymore.

CVSup was never that popular for OpenBSD to begin with and now it's
effectively dead.  In fact, FreeBSD, which has used CVSup extensively
in the past, is in the process of phasing out its CVSup infrastructure.
Just a few hours ago I was again pondering the question when I
should remove the cvsup and csup ports.  lang/ezm3 and thus net/cvsup
will not survive the next major ABI change (likely time_t sometime
in the 5.3->5.4 timeframe).  net/csup is buggy and unlikely to ever
get fixed now that FreeBSD is abandoning it.

CVSup is unused for OpenBSD, and by the time 5.3 will be released
you won't even be able to use it to get FreeBSD, so why are we still
keeping it around?

Re: NEW: fastest_cvsup

David Coppa
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Christian Weisgerber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julien Dhaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is port coming from FreeBSD, people should know it.
>> Tested on amd64. There is many references to FreeBSD within,
>> so, tell me if a patch is needed.
>
> I don't see the point of this port.  There isn't even a list of
> OpenBSD CVSup servers anymore.
>
> CVSup was never that popular for OpenBSD to begin with and now it's
> effectively dead.  In fact, FreeBSD, which has used CVSup extensively
> in the past, is in the process of phasing out its CVSup infrastructure.
> Just a few hours ago I was again pondering the question when I
> should remove the cvsup and csup ports.  lang/ezm3 and thus net/cvsup
> will not survive the next major ABI change (likely time_t sometime
> in the 5.3->5.4 timeframe).  net/csup is buggy and unlikely to ever
> get fixed now that FreeBSD is abandoning it.
>
> CVSup is unused for OpenBSD, and by the time 5.3 will be released
> you won't even be able to use it to get FreeBSD, so why are we still
> keeping it around?

I agree.

ciao,
David