NEW: emulators/sameboy

Anthony J. Bentley-4
Hi,

SameBoy is a SDL-based Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulator.
SameBoy is extremely accurate and includes a wide range of powerful
debugging features, making it ideal for both casual players and developers.
In addition to accuracy and developer capabilities, SameBoy has all the
features one would expect from an emulator, from save states to scaling
filters.

libretro-sameboy provides a Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulation
core to the RetroArch emulator frontend, based on SameBoy.

SameBoy is to my knowledge the most accurate Game Boy emulator
in existence. It is certainly more accurate than Gambatte, the
most accurate emulator in our tree. And unlike Gambatte, SameBoy
is actively maintained.

For general usage I still usually recommend mgba, as it is quite
accurate (more than enough for people just playing games) and has a
fairly strong pledge on OpenBSD. But SameBoy is an important emulator
for anyone doing Game Boy development.

I previously submitted this about a year ago. At the time I mentioned
issues with audio speed, but I can no longer reproduce those problems.
In addition, upstream has integrated my portability patches.

ok?

--
Anthony J. Bentley

sameboy.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW: emulators/sameboy

Brian Callahan-6
Hi Anthony --

On Friday, May 22, 2020 7:06 AM, Anthony J. Bentley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> SameBoy is a SDL-based Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulator.
> SameBoy is extremely accurate and includes a wide range of powerful
> debugging features, making it ideal for both casual players and developers.
> In addition to accuracy and developer capabilities, SameBoy has all the
> features one would expect from an emulator, from save states to scaling
> filters.
>
> libretro-sameboy provides a Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulation
> core to the RetroArch emulator frontend, based on SameBoy.
>
> SameBoy is to my knowledge the most accurate Game Boy emulator
> in existence. It is certainly more accurate than Gambatte, the
> most accurate emulator in our tree. And unlike Gambatte, SameBoy
> is actively maintained.
>
> For general usage I still usually recommend mgba, as it is quite
> accurate (more than enough for people just playing games) and has a
> fairly strong pledge on OpenBSD. But SameBoy is an important emulator
> for anyone doing Game Boy development.
>
> I previously submitted this about a year ago. At the time I mentioned
> issues with audio speed, but I can no longer reproduce those problems.
> In addition, upstream has integrated my portability patches.
>
> ok?
>
> --
>
> Anthony J. Bentley

A few thoughts:
1. It is using -std=gnu11, so we need a
COMPILER=base-clang ports-gcc line otherwise it will fail on
base-gcc archs.

2. There is a -Werror in Makefile and a hardcoded -O2 in
libretro/Makefile that are worth removing.

3. When I ran `make port-lib-depends-check`, it said
LIB_DEPENDS devel/sdl2 not needed for emulators/sameboy,-libretro ?
Changing LIB_DEPENDS to LIB_DEPENDS-main makes the warning go away.

~Brian

Re: NEW: emulators/sameboy

Thomas Frohwein-2
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 05:06:44AM -0600, Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
[...]
> features one would expect from an emulator, from save states to scaling
> filters.

Save states work - they create a .s[0-9] file and I have successfully
loaded a save.

> libretro-sameboy provides a Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulation
> core to the RetroArch emulator frontend, based on SameBoy.

I have only tested the sameboy binary, not the libretro core.

[...]
> I previously submitted this about a year ago. At the time I mentioned
> issues with audio speed, but I can no longer reproduce those problems.

I do get slightly distorted/stuttery audio. Not a gamebreaker and I
stop noticing it after a few minutes, but definitely there.

[...]
> ok?

Fullscreen works, and so does the gamepad (XBox 360 controller), with
the caveat that up and down on the left stick are reversed and there
doesn't seem to be a way to flip axes. The D-pad works fine, however.

I tested it with 2 GameBoy Color ROMS including the free puzzler
Snakebird.gb [1] with no issues other than audio distortion and the
reversed Y axis on the gamepad.

ok thfr@

[1] https://fb1.itch.io/snakebirdgb