[NEW] converters/bdf2psf

Frederic Cambus
Hi ports@,

Here is a new port: converters/bdf2psf.

From DESCR:

The program bdf2psf translates BDF fonts to PSF format. It accepts
fonts with arbitrary size of the font matrix. If the width of the glyph
matrix of the source font is 7 or 9 pixels then it generates fonts with
width of 8 pixels.

Comments? OK?

bdf2psf.tar.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [NEW] converters/bdf2psf

Frederic Cambus
On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 05:46:55PM +0100, Frederic Cambus wrote:

> Here is a new port: converters/bdf2psf.
>
> From DESCR:
>
> The program bdf2psf translates BDF fonts to PSF format. It accepts
> fonts with arbitrary size of the font matrix. If the width of the glyph
> matrix of the source font is 7 or 9 pixels then it generates fonts with
> width of 8 pixels.
>
> Comments? OK?

Ping. Anyone willing to look at this? Thanks.

Re: [NEW] converters/bdf2psf

Paul Hardy
Frederic,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:37 PM Frederic Cambus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 05:46:55PM +0100, Frederic Cambus wrote:
>
> > Here is a new port: converters/bdf2psf.
>
> Ping. Anyone willing to look at this? Thanks.

I am not the right person to comment on how good an OpenBSD
package is, but am glad to see bdf2psf getting packaged.

I am the GNU Unifont maintainer, and would like to package
Unifont for OpenBSD.  I have a version that builds on OpenBSD
now, but it needs bdf2psf to build a 512-glyph font for
programming in APL in console mode.

Can OpenBSD use a PSF font with 512 glyphs?  If not, I can
build it on OpenBSD but not install it.

Here is a copy of bdf2psf I put on my website in 2014
for those who don't have it on their system, if you want
something for comparison:

     http://unifoundry.com/pub/bdf2psf/

It is arranged with files under /usr rather than /usr/local,
so I also thought of making a new tarball with the "/usr"
stripped from the path.

Here are the main pages describing the current release of
Unifont and the software that builds all of its fonts:

     http://unifoundry.com/unifont/index.html

     http://unifoundry.com/unifont/unifont-utilities.html

I plan to add a couple more programs in the next version that
will handle VGA console fonts that OpenBSD uses.

I have not packaged anything for OpenBSD and think it will be
a while before I have the package ready for review.  I thought
I'd go over this now though because of your packaging bdf2psf.

Thank you,

Paul Hardy