NEW: audio/slimserver

Stuart Henderson
this is the server software that goes with SlimDevices music players
- SliMP3, Squeezebox, Transporter etc.

* Web Interface (control the player and manage playlists from a browser)
* MP3 & WMA Internet radio
* Alarm clock
* Automatically imports iTunes library and playlists (Windows and Mac)
* Automatically imports metadata tags
* Browse and search by title, artist, album or genre
* Shuffle and repeat albums or songs
* Create, save, and import .pls, .cue and .m3u playlist files
* Displays current date and time when not playing
* Open protocol and command line API
* Expandable through 3rd party plug-ins and skins
* Supports multiple synchronized players
* Cross platform Open Source software, written in Perl (GPL)
* Listen from any computer using an MP3 software player

it comes with a Java player that emulates the hardware players,
but I don't think we have audio support in our jdk/jre yet(?)

licensing is something of a mess - the main software is GPL, relying
on several Perl modules ("why grandma, what a big dependency list you
have..."), but the distfile comes with non-free firmware and bitmap
images, so as such it's PERMIT_*=No for now. since it can be a bit
of a pig to install manually, it would be nice to have in ports...

any comments/ok? I've been using it for months, just got round to
tidying it a bit. (adds a _slimserver user, the user.list update
isn't included here).

on a related note, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has
got alienbbc to work on OpenBSD...

slimserver.tgz (16K) Download Attachment