NEW: archivers/lzma

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NEW: archivers/lzma

steven mestdagh
see: http://tukaani.org/lzma/

from DESCR:

The purpose of LZMA utils is to make the usage of LZMA compression
easy on *NIX based systems like GNU/*/Linux and *BSD.

The average compression ratio is usually 30% better than
'gzip --best' and 15% better than 'bzip2 --best'. Some files can
be compressed even over 50% smaller than with gzip. With speed
LZMA cannot compete with gzip in neither compression nor
decompression. With bzip2 LZMA is in par when compressing with
approximately same compression ratio but for smallest file size
the time required can be 5 times the time used by bzip2. Luckily
the same does not apply to decompression speed: even the tightest
LZMA files can be decompressed in time less than a half of the
time that bzip2 would take. This makes LZMA an ideal compression
tool for distributing files in the Internet and on CDs/DVDs
because the files are usually compressed only once but
decompressed many times.

comments?


Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm


lzma.tgz (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: archivers/lzma

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:42:55 +0100
steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> see: http://tukaani.org/lzma/
>
> from DESCR:
>
> The purpose of LZMA utils is to make the usage of LZMA compression
> easy on *NIX based systems like GNU/*/Linux and *BSD.
>
> The average compression ratio is usually 30% better than
> 'gzip --best' and 15% better than 'bzip2 --best'. Some files can
> be compressed even over 50% smaller than with gzip. With speed
> LZMA cannot compete with gzip in neither compression nor
> decompression. With bzip2 LZMA is in par when compressing with
> approximately same compression ratio but for smallest file size
> the time required can be 5 times the time used by bzip2. Luckily
> the same does not apply to decompression speed: even the tightest
> LZMA files can be decompressed in time less than a half of the
> time that bzip2 would take. This makes LZMA an ideal compression
> tool for distributing files in the Internet and on CDs/DVDs
> because the files are usually compressed only once but
> decompressed many times.
>
> comments?
works fine on i386, I will test it later tonight on alpha.

Cheers,
Jasper

>
>
> Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm
>
>


--
"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: archivers/lzma

Antti Harri
In reply to this post by steven mestdagh

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, steven mestdagh wrote:

> comments?

Compiled nicely and the binary works. Running OpenBSD snapshot (jan 05).

When using the *sh scripts (for gzip-like UI) I get these
non-fatal warnings:

$ lzmash foo
chown: --: No such file or directory
chmod: --: No such file or directory

$ lunzmash foo.lzma
chown: --: No such file or directory
chmod: --: No such file or directory

I have told the script author this and I'm waiting for his reply.

Sincerely,
Antti Harri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: archivers/lzma

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
In reply to this post by Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:42:55 +0100
> steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> > comments?

I get the following on thursday's snapshot on my Alpha. I will rebuild the
system and hope that "supc++" will be in /usr/lib then.

-------------------8<-------------------
# make build      
===>  Verifying specs:  c m
===>  found c.38.2 m.2.0
===>  Checking files for lzma-4.27.1
`/usr/ports/distfiles/lzma-4.27.1.tar.gz' is up to date.
>> Checksum OK for lzma-4.27.1.tar.gz. (sha1)
===>  Extracting for lzma-4.27.1
===>  Patching for lzma-4.27.1
===>  Configuring for lzma-4.27.1
===>  Building for lzma-4.27.1
cd utils && make
cc -D_LZMA_IN_CB -D_LZMA_OUT_READ -D_LZMA_SYSTEM_SIZE_T -D_LZMA_PROB32 -c -I ../sdk/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_C -O2 -pipe ../sdk/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_C/LzmaDecode.c
cc -D_LZMA_IN_CB -D_LZMA_OUT_READ -D_LZMA_SYSTEM_SIZE_T -D_LZMA_PROB32 -O2 -pipe -c lzmadec.c
cc -O2 -pipe -o lzmadec LzmaDecode.o lzmadec.o
cc -D_LZMA_IN_CB -D_LZMA_OUT_READ -D_LZMA_SYSTEM_SIZE_T -D_LZMA_PROB32 -O2 -pipe -c lzmainfo.c
cc -O2 -pipe -o lzmainfo LzmaDecode.o lzmainfo.o
cd sdk/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Alone && make
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe LzmaAlone.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../LZMA/LZMADecoder.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../LZMA/LZMAEncoder.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../LZ/LZInWindow.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../LZ/LZOutWindow.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../RangeCoder/RangeCoderBit.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../Common/InBuffer.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../Common/OutBuffer.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../Common/FileStreams.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/Alloc.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/C_FileIO.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/CommandLineParser.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/CRC.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/String.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/StringConvert.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/StringToInt.cpp
c++ -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT -DCOMPRESS_MF_BT4 -DCOMPRESS_MF_HC  -I ../../../ -c -O2 -pipe ../../../Common/Vector.cpp
c++ -O2 -pipe -o lzma  LzmaAlone.o  LZMADecoder.o  LZMAEncoder.o  LZInWindow.o  LZOutWindow.o  RangeCoderBit.o  InBuffer.o  OutBuffer.o  FileStreams.o  Alloc.o  C_FileIO.o  CommandLineParser.o  CRC.o  String.o  StringConvert.o  StringToInt.o  Vector.o -lm -lsupc++ -static-libgcc
c++: unrecognized option `-static-libgcc'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mystuff/archivers/lzma/w-lzma-4.27.1/lzma-4.27.1/sdk/SRC/7zip/Compress/LZMA_Alone (line 40 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mystuff/archivers/lzma/w-lzma-4.27.1/lzma-4.27.1 (line 20 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mystuff/archivers/lzma (line 1924 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
-------------------8<-------------------

Cheers,
Jasper

>
> >
> >
> > Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm
> >
> >


--
"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: archivers/lzma

steven mestdagh
On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:03:24PM +0100, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:42:55 +0100
> > steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> > > comments?
>
> I get the following on thursday's snapshot on my Alpha. I will rebuild the
> system and hope that "supc++" will be in /usr/lib then.

adjusted makefiles a little bit so it works on alpha too. thanks for
testing, jasper. new tgz attached.

steven


Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm


lzma-20060123.tgz (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NEW: archivers/lzma

Sigfred Håversen
steven mestdagh wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:03:24PM +0100, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
>
>>>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:42:55 +0100
>>>steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>>comments?
>>
>>I get the following on thursday's snapshot on my Alpha. I will rebuild the
>>system and hope that "supc++" will be in /usr/lib then.
>
>
> adjusted makefiles a little bit so it works on alpha too. thanks for
> testing, jasper. new tgz attached.
>

Passes the regression tests on sparc64 and i386.

/Sigfred