NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Marc Espie-2
This is a project I started a while back.
The idea was to collect free-of-rights photos taken by OpenBSD
developers, suitable for use as background pictures.

I hope this takes up momentum over the next few months.

Here's the port, as an attachment

the first batch of pictures have been released on github for now.

openbsd-backgrounds.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Thomas Dettbarn
https://www.deviantart.com/dettus/art/blueline-redhexagons-wide-30804467
here's my contribution.

  Marc Espie <[hidden email]> hat am 26. Mai 2019 um 16:36
  geschrieben:

  This is a project I started a while back.
  The idea was to collect free-of-rights photos taken by OpenBSD
  developers, suitable for use as background pictures.

  I hope this takes up momentum over the next few months.

  Here's the port, as an attachment

  the first batch of pictures have been released on github for now.

Another new port: openbsd-bg-show

Marc Espie-2
That one is fairly straightforward:

this just run-depends on feh and openbsd-backgrounds to provide a small
script that displays a random background.

(If acceptable, that could end up in xenodm.

P=/usr/local/bin/openbsd-bg-show
if test -x $P
then
        $P
fi
)

openbsd-bg-show.tgz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Marc Espie-2
Hum, some people are giving me cool pictures,
so it's probably impractical to provide a package by now (470M of pics
and counting)

(well, unless we finally get a way to provide ONE single arch-independent
package that's not duplicated).

The current archive is at:

https://github.com/marcespie/openbsd-backgrounds/archive/1.2.tar.gz

(likely to grow some more)

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Giovanni Bechis-7
On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:49:34PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> Hum, some people are giving me cool pictures,
> so it's probably impractical to provide a package by now (470M of pics
> and counting)

what if the package will provide just one picture per dev to be able to have a decent size ?
the other ones will always be on Github.

> (well, unless we finally get a way to provide ONE single arch-independent
> package that's not duplicated).

at that time we will include more pictures.
 Giovanni

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Thomas Dettbarn
Hello.

Who wants to browse 470 Mbyte of pictures anyways?
I think you would help the users more if you would just
pick your 10 favorites?

Thomas

> Giovanni Bechis <[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] > hat am 28. Mai 2019 um 08:17 geschrieben:
>

>     On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:49:34PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
>
>         > > Hum, some people are giving me cool pictures,
> >         so it's probably impractical to provide a package by now (470M of pics
> >         and counting)
> >
> >     > what if the package will provide just one picture per dev to be able to have a decent size ?
>     the other ones will always be on Github.
>
>         > > (well, unless we finally get a way to provide ONE single arch-independent
> >         package that's not duplicated).
> >
> >     > at that time we will include more pictures.
>     Giovanni

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Marc Espie-2
Well, there are several solutions to a packaging problem.

- I could ditch a few pictures of low resolution compared to the others
or remove a few "good but more of the same", or one impractical perfectly
square picture.

- the other thing to do is to batch it through gm so that the distributed
size is more reasonable, e.g., limit it to 1920x1080 *at most*.

One thing I won't do is remove the portrait format pictures.
They're one of the reasons I started this in the first place.

Re: NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

ian@
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 08:17:39AM +0200, Giovanni Bechis wrote:

> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:49:34PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> > Hum, some people are giving me cool pictures,
> > so it's probably impractical to provide a package by now (470M of pics
> > and counting)
> >
> what if the package will provide just one picture per dev to be able to have a decent size ?
> the other ones will always be on Github.
>
> > (well, unless we finally get a way to provide ONE single arch-independent
> > package that's not duplicated).

Have the port bundle a list of the files, pick one at random to download (and cache locally)
when the script runs? Or download the list at runtime? (Starts to sound a bit
like pkg_add :-))

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:46:31AM -0700, cpb_ports wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:57:40AM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> > Well, there are several solutions to a packaging problem.
> >
> > - I could ditch a few pictures of low resolution compared to the others
> > or remove a few "good but more of the same", or one impractical perfectly
> > square picture.
> >
> > - the other thing to do is to batch it through gm so that the distributed
> > size is more reasonable, e.g., limit it to 1920x1080 *at most*.
> >
> > One thing I won't do is remove the portrait format pictures.
> > They're one of the reasons I started this in the first place.
> >
> How about doing those pictures in the package and add a cron option to
> download new ones as often as someone wants to (or not)?

Well, pkg_add -u will happily do so.

Or rather: you only download new/changed files in such a context, more
or less due to the way it's been designed.

That's one big reason to want it as a package instead of "random stuff".

UPDATED NEW PORT: openbsd-backgrounds

Marc Espie-2
So, based on feedback, attached is the new port.

In the mean time, I've got lots more contribs. Thanks guys!

So, this new port does create "decent" resolution pictures on the fly.

I've also stopped extracting then copying to fake, considering the size.
gm mogrify does a nice job in fake.

I've provided two flavors: default and large.

The default resizes to 1920x1080, large resizes to 2440x1600.

Packages weigh in at ~60MB / 100MB  roughly.

The distfile proper is fairly large, but that's not really an issue,
since that needs to be fetched just once.

Asking for okays now.

I don't know whether to hook the large flavor into the Makefile as well.
To me, 100MB seems like your average package size.

openbsd-backgrounds-1.5.tgz (3K) Download Attachment