[NEW] 9base - Plan 9 command line tools

stanleylieber
Home Page:

http://tools.suckless.org/9base

Info:

9base is a port of various original Plan 9 tools for UNIX, based on
Plan 9 From Userspace, by Russ Cox. The rc shell in 9base is distinct
from Byron Rakitzis' UNIX rewrite that already exists in plan9/rc.
Rakitzis' port is not entirely compatible with Tom Duff's original
rc shell, which is included in both Plan 9 From Userspace and 9base.

Updated my old, half-finished port. Builds on i386, amd64 and sparc64.

Download:

http://openbsd.stanleylieber.com/9base/9base-OpenBSD.tgz

-sl

Re: [NEW] 9base - Plan 9 command line tools

stanleylieber
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Stanley Lieber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Home Page:
>
> http://tools.suckless.org/9base
>
> Info:
>
> 9base is a port of various original Plan 9 tools for UNIX, based on
> Plan 9 From Userspace, by Russ Cox. The rc shell in 9base is distinct
> from Byron Rakitzis' UNIX rewrite that already exists in plan9/rc.
> Rakitzis' port is not entirely compatible with Tom Duff's original
> rc shell, which is included in both Plan 9 From Userspace and 9base.

> Updated my old, half-finished port. Builds on i386, amd64 and sparc64.
>
> Download:
>
> http://openbsd.stanleylieber.com/9base/9base-OpenBSD.tgz
>
> -sl

Is there any interest in this at all?

-sl

Re: [NEW] 9base - Plan 9 command line tools

Anthony J. Bentley
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Stanley Lieber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Home Page:
> >
> > http://tools.suckless.org/9base
> >
> > Info:
> >
> > 9base is a port of various original Plan 9 tools for UNIX, based on
> > Plan 9 From Userspace, by Russ Cox. The rc shell in 9base is distinct
> > from Byron Rakitzis' UNIX rewrite that already exists in plan9/rc.
> > Rakitzis' port is not entirely compatible with Tom Duff's original
> > rc shell, which is included in both Plan 9 From Userspace and 9base.

> > Updated my old, half-finished port. Builds on i386, amd64 and sparc64.
> >
> > Download:
> >
> > http://openbsd.stanleylieber.com/9base/9base-OpenBSD.tgz
> >
> > -sl
>
> Is there any interest in this at all?
>
> -sl

Systrace complains here:

$ make fake
===>  Configuring for 9base-6
install -d -o root -g bin -m 755 /usr/local/plan9
systrace: deny user: anthony, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 11133(0)[9564], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 197, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/local/plan9
install: /usr/local/plan9: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 71

Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 33 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2430 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2228 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).

Anthony J. Bentley

Re: [NEW] 9base - Plan 9 command line tools

stanleylieber
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Anthony J. Bentley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Stanley Lieber
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Home Page:
>> >
>> > http://tools.suckless.org/9base
>> >
>> > Info:
>> >
>> > 9base is a port of various original Plan 9 tools for UNIX, based on
>> > Plan 9 From Userspace, by Russ Cox. The rc shell in 9base is distinct
>> > from Byron Rakitzis' UNIX rewrite that already exists in plan9/rc.
>> > Rakitzis' port is not entirely compatible with Tom Duff's original
>> > rc shell, which is included in both Plan 9 From Userspace and 9base.

>> > Updated my old, half-finished port. Builds on i386, amd64 and sparc64.
>> >
>> > Download:
>> >
>> > http://openbsd.stanleylieber.com/9base/9base-OpenBSD.tgz
>> >
>> > -sl
>>
>> Is there any interest in this at all?
>>
>> -sl
>>

> Systrace complains here:
>
> $ make fake
> ===>  Configuring for 9base-6
> install -d -o root -g bin -m 755 /usr/local/plan9
> systrace: deny user: anthony, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 11133(0)[9564], policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 197, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filename: /usr/local/plan9
> install: /usr/local/plan9: Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 33 of Makefile).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2430 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2228 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
>
> --
> Anthony J. Bentley

9base inherited its home in /usr/local/plan9 from the original Plan 9
From User Space.
Typical usage sees /usr/local/plan9/bin added to the beginning of the
user's PATH. For
this reason, I thought it might be inadvisable to install it in a
directory where placing that
location ahead of /bin and /usr/bin in the user's PATH might have
unintended consequences
(namely, from packages other than 9base).

In addition, there are existing ports which conflict with some of the
binaries installed by 9base.
Two examples are sam and rc. These two in particular are drawn from
different, older versions
of the programs than 9base (and in the case of rc, an incompatible
implementation written
by a different author).

Are there existing ports I can examine that have resolved similar concerns?

-sl

Re: [NEW] 9base - Plan 9 command line tools

Anthony J. Bentley
> > Systrace complains here:
> >
> > $ make fake
> > =3D=3D=3D> =C2=A0Configuring for 9base-6
> > install -d -o root -g bin -m 755 /usr/local/plan9
> > systrace: deny user: anthony, prog: /usr/bin/install, pid: 11133(0)[9564]=
> , policy: /usr/bin/make, filters: 197, syscall: native-fswrite(136), filena=
> me: /usr/local/plan9
> > install: /usr/local/plan9: Operation not permitted
> > *** Error code 71
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 33 of Makefile).
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2430 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk=
> /bsd.port.mk).
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/plan9/9base (line 2228 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk=
> /bsd.port.mk).
> >
> > --
> > Anthony J. Bentley
>
> 9base inherited its home in /usr/local/plan9 from the original Plan 9
> From User Space.
> Typical usage sees /usr/local/plan9/bin added to the beginning of the
> user's PATH. For
> this reason, I thought it might be inadvisable to install in a
> directory where placing that
> location ahead of /bin and /usr/bin in the user's PATH might have
> unintended consequences
> (namely, from packages other than 9base).
>
> Are there existing packages I can examine which have resolved similar conce=
> rns?

I would put it in ${PREFIX}/plan9 instead of hardcoding /usr/local/plan9,
I guess. But I don't know how it's typically done, or how to keep systrace
silent (if that's actually important when creating ports).

Without systrace, the port builds and installs (as root), and the
resulting programs run fine here on i386. I would like to see some
interest in this port as well.

--
Anthony J. Bentley