My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

opendaddy
Hi,

My OpenBSD VPS is taking way too long to complete certain tasks. Is there a way to stress test my system to find out if it's working the way it should?

I'm suspecting my ISP is having trouble with their hardware or KVM setup, but I'd like to do everything I can before I take it to them.

Thanks!

O.D.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

Chris Cappuccio
[hidden email] [[hidden email]] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My OpenBSD VPS is taking way too long to complete certain tasks. Is there a way to stress test my system to find out if it's working the way it should?
>
> I'm suspecting my ISP is having trouble with their hardware or KVM setup, but I'd like to do everything I can before I take it to them.
>

This is really vague. What tasks are taking so long?

You are sharing disk I/O, oversubscribed. You are sharing CPU time, oversubscribed.

Any clues?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

opendaddy
On 6. oktober 2013 at 4:29 AM, "Chris Cappuccio" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>This is really vague. What tasks are taking so long?
>
>You are sharing disk I/O, oversubscribed. You are sharing CPU
>time, oversubscribed.
>
>Any clues?

Good point. I'm doing asset precompilation in this Ruby on Rails app - a process that should only take a couple of minutes if not seconds, but ends up taking over 1 hour on my VPS. I asked around and it seems to be a very I/O intensive process.

So what are my options? Demand better services from my ISP or stop using VPS altogether?

Thanks!

O.D.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

Manolis Tzanidakis-2
On Sun (06/10/13), [hidden email] wrote:
> Good point. I'm doing asset precompilation in this Ruby on Rails app - a process that should only take a couple of minutes if not seconds, but ends up taking over 1 hour on my VPS. I asked around and it seems to be a very I/O intensive process.
> So what are my options? Demand better services from my ISP or stop using VPS altogether?

Hello,
virtio(4) can make a big difference.
Providing at least a dmesg dump will get you better answers :).

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

Darren Tucker
In reply to this post by opendaddy
On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 09:13:21AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Good point. I'm doing asset precompilation in this Ruby on Rails app
> - a process that should only take a couple of minutes if not seconds,
> but ends up taking over 1 hour on my VPS. I asked around and it seems
> to be a very I/O intensive process.

> So what are my options? Demand better services from my ISP or stop
> using VPS altogether?

one thing you can try is disabling mpbios and, if you don't need usb,
uhci in the kernel.  I've only seen this make a diffence on i386 and it
may be specific to some versions of qemu.

# config -o /bsd -e /bsd
ukc> disable mpbios
ukc> disable uhci
ukc> quit

then reboot.

anyway, this is just a guess.  you might get some better advice if you
provide more info, like the output of dmesg.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 8FF4FA69 / D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69
    Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience
usually comes from bad judgement.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

opendaddy
In reply to this post by Manolis Tzanidakis-2
Hi,

On 6. oktober 2013 at 10:18 AM, "Manolis Tzanidakis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Hello,
>virtio(4) can make a big difference.
>Providing at least a dmesg dump will get you better answers :).

Looks awesome! I just load this into my kernel?

On 6. oktober 2013 at 10:35 AM, "Darren Tucker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>one thing you can try is disabling mpbios and, if you don't need
>usb, uhci in the kernel.  I've only seen this make a diffence on i386
>and it may be specific to some versions of qemu.

Here she is. Lemme know what you think.

Thanks a lot guys.

OpenBSD 5.3 (GENERIC) #53: Tue Mar 12 18:15:44 MDT 2013
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 1072685056 (1022MB)
avail mem = 1021726720 (974MB)
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xfd900 (10 entries)
bios0: vendor Bochs version "Bochs" date 01/01/2011
bios0: Bochs Bochs
acpi0 at bios0: rev 0
acpi0: sleep states S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP SSDT APIC HPET
acpi0: wakeup devices
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 24 bits
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 100000000 Hz
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpicpu0 at acpi0
mpbios0 at bios0: Intel MP Specification 1.4
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.3.1, 2200.28 MHz
cpu0: FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,CX16,POPCNT,NXE,LONG,LAHF
cpu0: 64KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 64KB 64b/line 2-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu0: ITLB 255 4KB entries direct-mapped, 255 4MB entries direct-mapped
cpu0: DTLB 255 4KB entries direct-mapped, 255 4MB entries direct-mapped
cpu0: apic clock running at 999MHz
mpbios0: bus 0 is type PCI
mpbios0: bus 1 is type ISA
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 0 pa 0xfec00000, version 11, 24 pins
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82441FX" rev 0x02
pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82371SB ISA" rev 0x00
pciide0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 "Intel 82371SB IDE" rev 0x00: DMA, channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <QEMU HARDDISK>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 51200MB, 104857600 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QEMU, QEMU DVD-ROM, 1.3.> ATAPI 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
uhci0 at pci0 dev 1 function 2 "Intel 82371SB USB" rev 0x01: apic 0 int 11
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 1 function 3 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x03: apic 0 int 9
iic0 at piixpm0
iic0: addr 0x4c 48=00 words 00=0000 01=0000 02=0000 03=0000 04=0000 05=0000 06=0                                              000 07=0000
iic0: addr 0x4e 48=00 words 00=0000 01=0000 02=0000 03=0000 04=0000 05=0000 06=0                                              000 07=0000
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 unknown vendor 0x1234 product 0x1111 rev 0x00
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
em0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "Intel PRO/1000MT (82540EM)" rev 0x03: apic 0 int 11, address 52:54:00:8a:35:cc
eap0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0 "Ensoniq AudioPCI" rev 0x00: apic 0 int 11
audio0 at eap0
midi0 at eap0: <AudioPCI MIDI UART>
virtio0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0 "Qumranet Virtio Memory" rev 0x00: Virtio Memory Balloon Device
viomb0 at virtio0
virtio0: apic 0 int 10
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 1: density unknown
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
nvram: invalid checksum
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "QEMU QEMU USB Tablet" rev 1.00/0.00 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/0
uhid0 at uhidev0: input=6, output=0, feature=0
vscsi0 at root
scsibus1 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus2 at softraid0: 256 targets
root on wd0a (602ac4aec386954e.a) swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
WARNING: / was not properly unmounted
clock: unknown CMOS layout

O.D.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

Manolis Tzanidakis-2
On Sun (06/10/13), [hidden email] wrote:
> On 6. oktober 2013 at 10:18 AM, "Manolis Tzanidakis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >virtio(4) can make a big difference.
> Looks awesome! I just load this into my kernel?
> OpenBSD 5.3 (GENERIC) #53: Tue Mar 12 18:15:44 MDT 2013

First, upgrade to STABLE to avoid potential kernel panics. Check patch
007 in http://openbsd.org/errata53.html for more info. M:Tier offers
pre-built patches and packages, if you want to avoid compiling. Check
https://stable.mtier.org/ .

To be able to switch back and forth from wd/em to vioblk/vio:
- make sure you use DUID in fstab. disklabel(8) for more info.
- copy /etc/hostname.em0 to /etc/hostname.vio0 .
- ask your vps provider to enable virtio for disk and net.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

opendaddy
Hi,

On 6. oktober 2013 at 1:15 PM, "Manolis Tzanidakis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>First, upgrade to STABLE to avoid potential kernel panics. Check
>patch 007 in http://openbsd.org/errata53.html for more info. M:Tier
>offers pre-built patches and packages, if you want to avoid compiling.
>Check https://stable.mtier.org/ .
>
>To be able to switch back and forth from wd/em to vioblk/vio:
>- make sure you use DUID in fstab. disklabel(8) for more info.
>- copy /etc/hostname.em0 to /etc/hostname.vio0 .
>- ask your vps provider to enable virtio for disk and net.

This is great stuff man!

1. I've asked my VPS provider. Now, if they change to virtio(4) before I get a chance to complete the above steps, will I be locked out of my VPS?

2. Do these steps involve the actual switching from wd/em to vioblk/vio or is that something I must do afterwards?

3. You say "to be able to switch back and forth". Is there any reason why I would want to switch back?

4. M:Tier looks hot! Thanks for the tip!

I always figured OpenBSD to be so rock solid, at least compared to FreeBSD where I come from, that I wouldn't need to upgrade to STABLE.

Thanks again.

O.D.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

opendaddy
In reply to this post by Manolis Tzanidakis-2
On 6. oktober 2013 at 1:15 PM, "Manolis Tzanidakis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>First, upgrade to STABLE to avoid potential kernel panics. Check
>patch 007 in http://openbsd.org/errata53.html for more info. M:Tier
>offers pre-built patches and packages, if you want to avoid compiling.
>Check https://stable.mtier.org/ .
>
>To be able to switch back and forth from wd/em to vioblk/vio:
>- make sure you use DUID in fstab. disklabel(8) for more info.
>- copy /etc/hostname.em0 to /etc/hostname.vio0 .
>- ask your vps provider to enable virtio for disk and net.

My VPS provider says it will take them a couple of weeks to enable virtio. Does it really take that long?

They also say they have virtio enabled for FreeBSD, meaning they were aware that their OpenBSD offering was going to be below par, but chose to sell it to me anyway.

O.D.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My VPS is acting slow (KVM)

Bryce Chidester
> My VPS provider says it will take them a couple of weeks to enable virtio.
> Does it really take that long?
>

Almost certainly not. Enabling virtio is just a change in a single config
file, and a full stop/start of the VM. However, they may have to move your
VM to another host (one with a newer libkvm perhaps) which could take
upwards of several minutes. Or days even, if they copy your data down to a
portal drive, walk downstairs, down the street a few dozen blocks... maybe
to the next town, sleep, eat, etc etc etc You get the idea.

-Bryce Chidester
[hidden email]