Multprocessor core

Alberta Hall
Hello -

I obtained, unexpectedly, a Compaq 8-way (8 Xeon 550 CPU's)  computer.  To my
surprise, it booted to the POST and it was missing an OS.  It has 8 gig RAM
and an array of four 18 Gig SCSI's in a hot swappable enclosure.  I plan
to add an internal boot drive (probably a relatively modest IDE.... 6 or 8 or
10 gig.... something like that)  from which to boot, and use the array of 18
gigs as a striped RAID.

I am looking for an OS that has the ability to take advantage of the 8 XEON
550's.  I do not want to go with anything Microsoft.

Is there anything I can use in the OpenBSD world?  An 8 CPU SMP version?

If so, what is it?  If not, are you folks aware of (and would you mind giving
advice) any other versions of Linux available that I can employ in my efforts
to set up the 8 way Compaq I've been lucky enough to have recently obtained?

Also, note that I prefer open source, if possible, and even free Solaris would
be OK.  I have knowledge of the FreeBSD & OpenBSD version and that is why I'm
starting my search for a solution with you folks.

Thanks in advance

Alberta Hall

Re: Multprocessor core

matteo filippetto
2010/4/20 Alberta Hall <[hidden email]>:
> Hello -
>
> I obtained, unexpectedly, a Compaq 8-way (8 Xeon 550 CPU's) B computer. B To
my
> surprise, it booted to the POST and it was missing an OS. B It has 8 gig
RAM
> and an array of four 18 Gig SCSI's in a hot swappable enclosure. B I plan
> to add an internal boot drive (probably a relatively modest IDE.... 6 or 8
or
> 10 gig.... something like that) B from which to boot, and use the array of
18
> gigs as a striped RAID.
>
> I am looking for an OS that has the ability to take advantage of the 8 XEON
> 550's. B I do not want to go with anything Microsoft.
>
> Is there anything I can use in the OpenBSD world? B An 8 CPU SMP version?
>
> If so, what is it? B If not, are you folks aware of (and would you mind
giving
> advice) any other versions of Linux available that I can employ in my
efforts
> to set up the 8 way Compaq I've been lucky enough to have recently
obtained?

> Also, note that I prefer open source, if possible, and even free Solaris
would
> be OK. B I have knowledge of the FreeBSD & OpenBSD version and that is why
I'm
> starting my search for a solution with you folks.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alberta Hall

maybe a little OT for www but debian amd64 will probably do a good work.

about openbsd and bigmem you should read

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=bigmem&q=b

about 18 sata disks you should read

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#intro

Best regards